• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?

My last replacement set of tires were the Pirelli Sport Demons. Overall I've been really happy with them. Most of my miles are spirited commuting miles. Maybe a little wiggly in the rain but really decent dry. At any rate, they have 7500 on them and they still have some go in them. Back is a bit squared off but not terrible. FWIW I keep the pressures at recommended levels. Here are couple of pictures. I would be inclined to buy another set when the times comes.

Rear:

Front:

works4me said:
I'd really like to see a picture of that same tire at 20K miles.
Please and thank you.

:))  Not sure the rear will make that but maybe?? I am thinking around 12k or 13k maybe, that is what I used to get on my GL1500 with the E3's on the rear.

I was really thinking about putting a car tire on, but since it is so easy to change on the C10 if the E4's get high milage I will keep running them. If I get over 12 then the next time I will go up one size on the rear to a 160 and see how that does for milage before I make up my mind on the car tire. I usually put around 30 to 40K a year on a bike depending on if I take many trips or not so tires are something I get a chance to try out a lot, and part of the reason I bought a tire changer and do it my self.

7500 miles still look the same, I got into my first real rain ride on Saturday coming home from a lunch run to Birmingham, hit a serious squall with thunder and lightning and high winds, the whole nine yards and was quite the show. Anyway the E4's did very well in the wet and standing water as well, they shed the water great at speed on the interstate and hitting the curvys of the on and off ramps it held tight to the road, so in my humble opinion they do just fine in wet conditions.

Need to get tires for my 86, but not sure what brand to go with... I know a few people that are not recommending Dunlops. Leery about Shinkos since I have never heard of them before (last time I bought MC tires was 22 years ago) and they sound like cheap tires. Had Avons on my CB650.

What is the best tire for these bikes?? What  brand lasts the longest? I want to put a good quality tire on this.

schwinnman67 said:
Need to get tires for my 86, but not sure what brand to go with... I know a few people that are not recommending Dunlops. Leery about Shinkos since I have never heard of them before (last time I bought MC tires was 22 years ago) and they sound like cheap tires. Had Avons on my CB650.

What is the best tire for these bikes?? What  brand lasts the longest? I want to put a good quality tire on this.
I used up about eight 777 Shinkos on the rear. Unless you want to hammer hard on wet corners they ride and handle well and last 10-12 thousand miles. I never had a wet road issue but I didn't push that hard on wet roads.

BTW, it pairs nicely with Angels and PR3s.

On TDY at Yoho Park in BC.

10,228 miles, looks like maybe another 2K left for the rear??

20170705_071909_zpsla2sxmdb.jpg

Front still looks great

20170705_071926_zpshpqk4ux9.jpg

I'm not overly impressed.
I got 12K+ on each of my last two 777s.
Not bad for a $90 tire.
I'm currently riding on a 230. ( $80 )
Better handling than a 777.
We'll see how well it lasts.

Have to agree, the rear was $150 so not real bad and the handling it great in wet and dry, but only 12K miles is not really doing it for me, changing the tire every 4 months is a no go. I have not really got around to taking any big rides yet so those will make the tie go even faster. I think I am gonna skip going to the Goldwing size, which jumps the price up 50 more bucks and just go darkside. Think I will go with the Austone taxi tire its a 175/R16 and diameter is 26.9" I think I should get a full year and then some out of one.

I was honestly hoping you'd go 20K on that tire.
Since my bike is used primarily for commuting,
mileage is everything.

Ordered the car tire as soon as I got to work this morning, and of course some jackwagon backs into the bike and knocks it over, started a thread about that, anyway once all that is sorted out I will have a new tire ready and waiting to go on. I am excited to see how it rides with this tire, I put the same one on my GL1500 and loved it.

works4me said:
mileage is everything.
+1
I recently spooned another Commander II on, got 30K out of the last one.

Federal brand tire installed on 15" Eliminator wheel:

Summer 2008 Concourier article on  SmugMug:

https://danodemotoman.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Concours-car-tire-connversion/Car-tire-2-Federal/

Zorlac said:
works4me said:
mileage is everything.
+1
I recently spooned another Commander II on, got 30K out of the last one.

I am thinking about the Commander II for the rear. What are you running on the front?

Guys, I've read that the 2 newest radials (Avon and Shinko) for the C-10 have caused handling problems.
Both seem to have problems.
Avon 3M seems to be the  best, but some have had major problems. (manufacturing problems?)
Shinko Verge II wobbles.. (weak sidewalls?)

Does anyone know of any radial's (particularly rear) that are still being used on the C-10?

Explanation: I may use the bike for a track day and need to buy tires because of the age of my current tires.
Would prefer radials but unsure of what is available that is working ok? (particularly for the rear)

Ride safe, Ted

So for any interested the Dunlop E4 looked to have another 1k or so miles left on it when I took it off at 11,385, so I am calling this a 12K mile tire on the rear. The front still looks purdy good so hoping to get 20K out of it. No pics ( F you Photobucket!!)

connie_rider said:
Guys, I've read that the 2 newest radials (Avon and Shinko) for the C-10 have caused handling problems.
Both seem to have problems.
Avon 3M seems to be the  best, but some have had major problems. (manufacturing problems?)
Shinko Verge II wobbles.. (weak sidewalls?)

Does anyone know of any radial's (particularly rear) that are still being used on the C-10?

Explanation: I may use the bike for a track day and need to buy tires because of the age of my current tires.
Would prefer radials but unsure of what is available that is working ok? (particularly for the rear)

Ride safe, Ted

Shinko SE890 Journey front and rear on my C10.  I don't have any stability problems with them.  I got 8k out of the first one and expect about the same on this one.  These are wing size tires and it makes it a bit easier to get up on the center stand.

I planned to go with the Michelin PR3/ Shinko 777 combo, and it appears that the PR3 has been discontinued in the 110/80/18 size.  So I'm reverting to my old school Honda days and just got a Continental Road Attack 2 to go with a 777.  Time to get them mounted and see how they ride! :motonoises:

Jim said:
Just called the folks at Michelin.  Yes, the PR3 110/80-18 is no longer available. :mad:

...although, for those who care to use it...there are still lots of the 120/70ZR18 Road 3s available...don't see them in catalogs anymore...so, they are most likely headed the way of the 110/80ZR18s...WPS part number is 87-9775... ;)

CRocker said:
...although, for those who care to use it...there are still lots of the 120/70ZR18 Road 3s available...don't see them in catalogs anymore...so, they are most likely headed the way of the 110/80ZR18s...WPS part number is 87-9775... ;)
If that's the case I better order another one even though I'm not due. The PR3 is without a doubt the BEST wearing front tar I've had on this bike! (No cupping!)

No dice, looks like it's still available in Europe.  :-\
I've decided to wear this PR3 down to the cords and then slap on something before I sell it.
I need a layoff/retirement before the cords show.  :eek:
Since I just ordered pads & rotors it should happen pretty soon.  ::)

I put a set of Shinko 230's on front and rear in mid-June.  Went with them as I've had very good success with other Shinko products on other bikes (Shinko 705's).  I've only logged a few hundred mile to this point but am happy with the purchase.  Price point was very low and have decent grip (haven't ridden in the wet, yet).  Too early for mileage reports.

After reading through this and many other discussions. I decided to replace the stock dunlops with the Shinko verge and Shinko 777 combo. I was apprehensive due to the $130 CAD price tag on the verge. I should not have been! This combo is working very well for me, I have 4000 km on this set up, showing very little wear. I do a fair amount of riding on the 401 and eastern Ontario back roads (Westport, calabogie). So far very confidence inspiring wet and dry, spirited or leisurely with no surprises, as it should be. Love this bike.

I went with the Michelin Commander II on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front. After a 400 mile trip through the North Cascades chasing my brother on his Ninja 1000 I am very happy with this set up. :great:

"We're running out of choices for this bike."

I just did a quick look and found over a dozen viable options
for the front alone.
You may not like every one of them but there
are plenty to choose from.

Zorlac said:
works4me said:
You may not like every one of them
You got that right.
It took me 13yrs to find a front I liked (PR3) and now it's gone.  :'(

I'm on my second T-30. Long life ( 12K miles ) combined
with handling that's fairly consistent throughout its life.
I have no complaints. Cheap too. ( <$100 )

works4me said:
I'm on my second T-30. Long life ( 12K miles ) combined
with handling that's fairly consistent throughout its life.
I have no complaints. Cheap too. ( <$100 )
"Sport Touring tires developed to replace BT-023 with wide-range riding enjoyment"

Good thing, cause the 023's sucked big-time!
Battlax's on my wee work well though.

just turned 4000 miles this morning  on the car tire and can report it is working awesome, absolutely love it. 40 PSI seemes to be the ticket and it has done great and still looks new.

Also I just realized I have a touch over 15K on the front Dunlop E4, it is the Goldwing size, and it still looks really good. I might even get 25 or 30 out of it???

Hey Warwgn,
You have a car tire on your Connie??? Sounds like sacrilege!
How does it corner??
I was looking into the goldwing sizes for their mileage, but didn't want to sacrifice the cornering ability of the bike.

Have used a number of front Michelin 89X 110/80R-18 on the V65 Sabre and C10.

Kelly E said:
My Honda Sabre V4 uses a 110/90-18 on the front. Has anyone tried that size on the front of a C-10?

Bushy said:
Hey Warwgn,
You have a car tire on your Connie??? Sounds like sacrilege!
How does it corner??
I was looking into the goldwing sizes for their mileage, but didn't want to sacrifice the cornering ability of the bike.

I cant tell any difference in cornering between the E4 that was on it and the car tire in the feel of it and what it takes to make it lean, but it seems like the car tire actually holds better. I am not a peg scraper by any means but I don't think it would be any issue to do so.

MichiGlenn said:
I planned to go with the Michelin PR3/ Shinko 777 combo, and it appears that the PR3 has been discontinued in the 110/80/18 size.  So I'm reverting to my old school Honda days and just got a Continental Road Attack 2 to go with a 777.  Time to get them mounted and see how they ride! :motonoises:

I am currently running Metzler 880's in the wing size and will probably change them in the spring, going to stock sizes. I am searching through the tire threads and am interested in your Continental/ Shinko combo. I know its only been a couple of weeks for you, but what are your thoughts on this combo? Thanks

Kelly E said:
I went with the Michelin Commander II on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front. After a 400 mile trip through the North Cascades chasing my brother on his Ninja 1000 I am very happy with this set up. :great:

I just did 2000 miles with the C-II and pilot activ and was very happy with the handling.  I went up Big Thompson canyon and over Trailridge road in Rocky Mountain Park and was very impressed with these tires in the twisties as well as cruising across I-80 to get back into Nebraska for the eclipse. 

Herbie said:
MichiGlenn said:

I am currently running Metzler 880's in the wing size and will probably change them in the spring, going to stock sizes. I am searching through the tire threads and am interested in your Continental/ Shinko combo. I know its only been a couple of weeks for you, but what are your thoughts on this combo? Thanks

So far so good on the Conti/ Shinko combination. It feels like a slight dance at times, but that might be due to being used to a pair of Exedra Max Bridgestones worn flat. Never felt dangerous, just a little like riding rain grooves, especially when on actual rain grooves. Just rode back from the Stockbridge MI all clubs gathering in off and on rain and it felt fine.

[/quote]

So far so good on the Conti/ Shinko combination. It feels like a slight dance at times, but that might be due to being used to a pair of Exedra Max Bridgestones worn flat. Never felt dangerous, just a little like riding rain grooves, especially when on actual rain grooves. Just rode back from the Stockbridge MI all clubs gathering in off and on rain and it felt fine.
[/quote]

Thanks for the report, I appreciate it

18.5K on the E4 front tire and still looks to have plenty of life left so might last the rest of the year?? The Austone Taxi tire on the back still looks the same as it did :great: gonna be a while before it needs to come off the rim.

UPDATE: the Goldwing size E4 on the front is just now starting to make a little noise, still looks purdy good and believe it has lots of miles left in it. 22, 226 miles on it so far and it is performing great still, rode to work in the rain today and no issues at all. I am thinking it will last somewhere in the 25k-30k miles range, very pleased with this tire and will order the same thing to replace it.

After pondering what to replace the hard riding, Slippery when wet, albeit long wearing set of Metzler tires, with I went with Avon HD 3D Storm's this time. The 110/80/18 front is the way to go. Now my Connie handles like a street bike. It is a  much softer smoother ride and glued to the road as well. Wear so far is not a concern. I have a lot more confidence when riding aggressively into coners, breaking and at high speeds.

I was just about to ask about these tyres!
I'm looking at a pair of Storm 3-D XM with a 120/70 on the front, mines the later version A9.
Its one of only a handful of tyres actually advertised for the GTR A9 here in England, and at £160 pair delivered they are excellent value  ;D
Are you using the XM type, the newer "Xtra Mileage" compound?

I love the 3dxm's . They seemed a little squirrly for the first hundred miles or so but after breaking in they are great !

How are they in the rain? I'm not the most confident rider in the wet, after a couple of spills many years ago!
Thanks once again  :great:

jacksdad said:
How are they in the rain? I'm not the most confident rider in the wet, after a couple of spills many years ago!
Thanks once again  :great:
Jacksdad, they are pretty good in rain, not outstanding.  Very good on dry pavement, but not as good in the wet as the older Avons now discontinued, not as good as the older Michelins now discontinued, but better than most others IMHO.  The most comparable tire to the 3DXM in my book is the original Dunlop RoadSmart.  I don't know about the later RoadSmarts.  IMHO these two tire types ride very much alike with the Avon maybe being a little better in the dry and the Dunlop being a little bit (tiny bit) better in the wet.  But I have not kept up with these so much since going 17" on most of my bikes.  But these tires are fairly "confidence inspiring" IMHO.  Good luck!

jacksdad said:
I was just about to ask about these tyres!
I'm looking at a pair of Storm 3-D XM with a 120/70 on the front, mines the later version A9.
Its one of only a handful of tyres actually advertised for the GTR A9 here in England, and at £160 pair delivered they are excellent value  ;D
Are you using the XM type, the newer "Xtra Mileage" compound?

You will be a happier camper iff'n you go to the 110/80 size in the front. Checking the rim width vs tire size the 110 is a better match. I'd run about 10-12 110's on the front, mostly PR2, PR3 and Angel. Awesome handling and ride.

HTH.  :beerchug:

Thanks again, getting sorted out now..except all the books and charts say the later bikes like mine went up to 120 on the front. Insurance firms over here just love an excuse not to pay out, and the state of tyres is a big get-out for them !
Riding wise, which front is your choice, 110/80 or 120/70 ?  :eek:

I had both on my 2000 C-10 and the 110 was better (less V-shaped) in my opinion. Once I went to the 110 from the last 120, I never went back.

Well then.....the UK supplier only lists a 120 front. They sell as a pair, as said for £160. I've searched a few sites but I'll have to buy from 2 suppliers and will cost another £30  :-\
Bike has an Avon AV55 Storm 2 Ultra fitted, 110/80ZR18 and AV46ST Azaro standard size rear..so many different names, numbers, letters  :-[

FINALLY...I hope...I've bought a pair of...drum roll..."Avon Storm 3D X-M 110/80/ZR18 & 150/80/ZR16 XM Pair Deal Ducati"
£152 with free delivery, that's cheaper than a rear Shinko!
Just one last question for you guys: the numbers in brackets after the part number etc. front has (54W) rear (69W), just how important is this, I'm assuming its weight loading?
I found a rear tyre which was identical but (71W) Whats the difference please  I'm getting like  :banghead:  :D

On (71W / etc) the number is the weight rating, and the letter is the speed rating.
The;  71W is  761 lbs / 168 mph
        69W is  761 lbs / 168 mph
        54W is  467 lbs / 168 mph

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks again, some more charts saved on my laptop  :great:
Not a clue why the rear tyre has 2 different weight numbers: probably a typo error. Either way, I think all bike tyres (decent brand!) are well inside the weight limits  ;D

Better more capacity (safe) than less (sorry).

You figure about 600# for the bike, 400-500# for two riders if they are good sized (I'm ~280# alone with full gear and a full stomach  ;D) . You should step on the scale sometime just before you hop on.  Through in 20# of farkles, 50# for a full gas tank. Add some gear for camping or hoteling and it adds up.

That's close to 1200# rolling down the road (yes, over the limit but who tells?). And people talk about how top heavy these bikes are. Ha!

All depends on who you are and how you ride.  ;)

# = pound = 16 ounces abbreviation, sorry.

I always figured the weigh was split between both tires.

connie_rider said:
Weight is split about 60/40.
With Rider and gear it's maybe more like 70/30.

Ride safe, Ted

That may be true for a static motorcycle but a moving bike is dynamic,
especially during braking when nearly all that weight transfers to the
front tire.

Good point works4me.
Hadn't thought of that.

I think their talking about loaded or rolling weight distribution.

I don't have a C-10 handy to look at what the correct tires are, but do have a C-14 here.
So, I'll use that for a reference.
  The C-14 has a 58W on the front, 75W on the rear.
      The 58w is rated at 520 lbs.  the 75W is rated at 853 lbs.
  If you compare 520 to 853, that's about a 40/60 ratio..
  I think the tire ratings for a C-10 will work out to be about the same..

Ride safe, Ted

The new Avons are 54 and 69W, the only other different version was a rear saying 71W. That means a difference of 20Kg on the rear, I'm only about 12 1/2 stone, usually ride solo, so all's well  ;D
Oh yes..those Shinko you guys like: Now cost just over £300 pair here in the UK  :-\

Sorry jacksdad.
  Most of us live here in the Colonies...  ;D
    Can you tell us approx. what 12 1/2 stone is equal to in lbs?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Sorry jacksdad.
  Most of us live here in the Colonies...  ;D
    Can you tell us approx. what 12 1/2 stone is equal to in lbs?

Ride safe, Ted

Google says it's about 175 lbs.

ron,, "Now ya dun went and dun it"....
  Ruined all my fun..

I was giving him a chance to make a comment about my "the Colonies" comment..  <sly grin>

Besides, you know good and well I'm a Computer Illiterate..
    Google is "your' Friend, not mine.......  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

I put the weight in "Old Fashioned" so you would understand...its 78 Kg over here...we went Metric in 1971 after all  ;D
Can't do the old pound and ounces nonsense any more, 13.45 lbs to the Franble,  76 ozs to pint etc....whats wrong with mm and kilos?
And don't even start about inches, all that 43/63 makes an inch, 3 inch to a flooter, 78/27 of a yard...what a load of nonsense...no wonder you built the Hubble telescope wrong size, all them conversions are easy to get wrong  :D

Tyres now delivered: rear is 71W after all, was a mistake in the listing
Just got to fit them now, I'll wait until it stops snowing... ;D

jacksdad said:
I put the weight in "Old Fashioned" so you would understand...its 78 Kg over here...we went Metric in 1971 after all  ;D
Can't do the old pound and ounces nonsense any more, 13.45 lbs to the Franble,  76 ozs to pint etc....whats wrong with mm and kilos?
And don't even start about inches, all that 43/63 makes an inch, 3 inch to a flooter, 78/27 of a yard...what a load of nonsense...no wonder you built the Hubble telescope wrong size, all them conversions are easy to get wrong  :D

Ya did good jacksdad.
I was beginning to think you'd miss the opportunity to ping us Colonists...

Yea, we tried the Metric system in 71.
Everyone hated it so we went back.
But now,,,, our system and the metric are mixed together on many thing's.
Which is probably the real reason for the problem on the Hubble.
  Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  !!    :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

Just why do you stay with the ancient Imperial system? The rest of the planet is now using Metric, it must cause problems with everyday stuff, having to convert everything? Mind you, we do still buy beer in pints, and have Miles per hour. I'm just about getting to grips with buying fuel in litres, but still work out usage in miles per gallon!  ;D

I guess we're just set in our ways.
Some folks would be ok to convert, but the majority is used to the system and see no reason to change.

Plus the costs to change over is staggering.
        (think about it)
  Everything from gas pumps to packaging etc, would have to be changed in some manner.

Ride safe, Ted

So, are the gallons you use 128 ounces? Then, there's the whole liquid vs dry measure arguments (ask a cook). If we start this, the next thing you know we're arguing about which side of the road to drive on, which way a racetrack is to be driven, and how wide railroad rails are supposed be. A slippery slope, I say. Slippery. 

No! A Gallon is 160 Fl Oz. (I had to Google the answer) You even have a different measurement for "1 Gallon"  :-[
Then there's the standard US measurement of "A Cup"...what is 1 Cup, in metric? Oh wait, there isn't  "A Cup" volume is there, it depends what you are weighing!  :rotflmao:
Isn't it time that you caught up with the modern world?

32 oz. to a quart. 4 quarts to a U.S. Gallon. Maybe that's why our gas mileage is so bad....Then there is the hectare, the rod, the league, the nautical mile, the mile, the ton, the metric ton. Yada, yada. 

Cup, smup. Let's not even talk about units of money. So, just be reasonable. Do it our  way.... :truce:

:))

Update on the Dunlop E4 in Goldwing size for the front, gotta get ready for a trip coming soon new tire arrives this week and yes going with the same tire Dunlop E4 Radial in 130/70R18. This has been a great tire all around and lasted very well, the center still looks good and not into the wear indicators yet, the sides are about halfway into the indicators but still look good and working well in the dry, it seems to have lost a little stickiness in the wet on a bridge I went over a couple weeks ago while it was raining. I was leaning at just the right angle to have the least amount of tread and it was loose so leaned a touch more and it was fine. Anyway have 28,300 mile on it now and will get a couple hundred more before the weekend so gotta say this has been a great tire and lasts!!

Thanks for the update Warwgn, I was considering the wing sizes last year when I purchased the Shinko verge and 777 combo.
But with the bike being new to me I wanted to stick with what the bike “should” have.
I have been happy with the combo but find I am probably not using all the grip available. I will probably only get 8000 miles on these so your 28k sounds amazing.
How is the car tire holding up on the rear?

got out the dial caliper last night since the new front came in and the new E4 had .160 tread depth to the top of the center wear indicator and the old has .030, so I would bet this tire would go well over 30K miles. (with how I ride and am set up)

The rear car tire still has tons of tread left, I did not put the gage on it but lots of tire left before it hit wear indicators.

seems I have a correction, the E4 on the front is bias ply but it will be replaced by a radial. Hope it holds up just as long.

I am going with the factory specked Dunlop.. the K701 and K700, I have seen an Avon ripped apart at my mechanics shop.
He won't even mount them if I bought some. Glad you all had good luck with them.. !!  Mine are both radials and I hear they were specifically made for the bike. I will try to update you later on them, as I have not been a Dunlop fan at all.. just going with it one time..and see for myself.. I haerd stories on Laps are crap way back in the day.

Asking what tires are best is like asking who's the prettiest girl.  You'll get folks asking why you think that even matters in the choice :)

Marisa Tomei, Hopefully no one really cares why it matters. But believe she is an expert on tires and posi traction!

the doc said:
I am going with the factory specked Dunlop.. the K701 and K700, I have seen an Avon ripped apart at my mechanics shop.
He won't even mount them if I bought some. Glad you all had good luck with them.. !!  Mine are both radials and I hear they were specifically made for the bike. I will try to update you later on them, as I have not been a Dunlop fan at all.. just going with it one time..and see for myself.. I haerd stories on Laps are crap way back in the day.

Those Dunlop’s were the cat’s meow, in 1986.
Now...not so much.

the doc said:
Keep the front at 42psi to try and limit the amount of cupping/scalloping of the tread. That Dunlop tar cups really bad at the specified pressure.
Good luck with those Dunlops.

Thanks guys, for the tips and thoughts on the Dunlaops, they seem to grip nicely, I think the only thing I heard was they wear out fast. Course a sticky tire would have those tendencies right? Anyway they seem comfortable and thanks, on the tip on pressure, cuz the Sportmax that were on it had tread but dry-rotted (in the seam area) and the front did have cupping.. thanks again and happy and safe trails to all! :)

I put on a set of Avon Storms about 8000 miles ago. I was impressed with their 15,000 mile wear-out warranty. From the beginning these tires have felt pretty sticky in the corners, but straight-line stability is definitely lacking. Any type of pavement irregularity like rain grooves, textured pavement, road cracks that have been tarred, and the like bring on the wobble. Triple digit wobbles are no fun! The back tire is squared off a bit, which I believe is partly from avoiding the superslab at all costs and spending most of my riding time in the twisties. Might have to take Robert Rainey's advice and get out my wood rasp.

03 C10
78 Z1-R

Rastus said:
I put on a set of Avon Storms about 8000 miles ago. I was impressed with their 15,000 mile wear-out warranty. From the beginning these tires have felt pretty sticky in the corners, but straight-line stability is definitely lacking. Any type of pavement irregularity like rain grooves, textured pavement, road cracks that have been tarred, and the like bring on the wobble. Triple digit wobbles are no fun! The back tire is squared off a bit, which I believe is partly from avoiding the superslab at all costs and spending most of my riding time in the twisties. Might have to take Robert Rainey's and get out my wood rasp.

Had this issue also , reduced pressure to 36lbs front and 38 rear and its alot better .

Update for my Shinko verge and 777 tires.
I am on currently on my east coast (Canada) trip. Leaving from Ottawa area, went north in Quebec, through Labrador with lots of gravel (and potholes) Newfoundland and the Cabot trail in Nova Scotia.
So these tires have been excellent. No damage from boulders or poor road conditions, with some high spirited riding when no ones looking. Including an extended period of WOT on the new pavement section in labrador 14,000 kms the rear is close to the wear bars, but still leaning in well. The front has some cupping, but unlike the stock Dunlop’s I had before there is no excessive road noise.
I keep them around 40psi front and 37 rear.
I am happy with these results. The grip is still great wet and dry.
I will post pics in a day or 2 if anybody wants.

I have 17,000 kms on theses now that my trip is complete. I now have a wobble between 65-80km/hr, with some cupping and road noise from the front.
I am still impressed with these tires as these kms were 70% interstate. I will be purchasing the same setup again soon.

Update on the Avon Storm 3D-XM's. After 10,500 miles there was cord showing on the rear. The only shop within 50 miles was a Harley shop, and it just happened to have a 150/80-16 Michelin Scorcher 31 Harley Davidson tire. It is a bias-ply tire. I have run Bridgestone Battlax bias on the rear with various radials on the front with good results, so I gave the H/D tire a chance. With the 2/3 wore out Avon Storm radial on the front and the Michelin on the back, straight-line stability was back. No more wobbles at any speed. I will not buy another set of Avon Storms for my C10. Being a H/D tire, the Michelin cost a Hundred/Dollar more than a tire that doesn't say Harley Davidson on the sidewall, but it was kind of a necessity. I am thinking of replacing the Avon Storm front with a Michelin PR4-GT radial.

Hello,

This weekend I found cords showing on my Michelin 120/70 ZR18 Pilot Road 4 front tire.

I had bought the tire on the last day of COG 2018 in Georgia. Needed to replace mine for a slow leak overnight.  Ranger Jim got me pointed to a place that had a tire that fit.

I show 13,289.3 miles since I have had it.  How's that?

I think I might go back to Dunlops.  I have had them on before and I thought they were fine for me and my style of riding.

MWH

Well the Dunlop E4 radial performed great but the tread life is not as good as the Bias it seems, I have 24,464 miles on it and it needs to be replaced now. Still not to bad at all, but gonna go back with the bias ply E4, it is cheaper by $10 and gets me an extra 4,000 miles.

So I replaced the Sport Demon on the front with a PR4 (120/70zr18) about 1500 miles ago.  First thing I noted was the wobble between 45-50 was gone, instantly.  Second thing was the tread pattern on the outer edges is definitely pulled in when compare to the same size PR4 on a 3.5" rim.  The majority of the tires curvature remained the same.  I rode the same roads in CO with the Demon and the PR4 from one day to the next and found the tire handles great, even at peg scrapping lean angles (and that excludes that "new tire feel").  But because the tread is pulled in on the edges, there is no way to take advantage of the outer edges of the tread block.  It never felt like it was falling into a turn.  In fact, the Demon felt like that from the time I installed it.

Has anyone else had any experience with the PR4 on the standard rim when testing the limits?  I'd like to know if I'm in for any surprises.