• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?

Connie needs new shoes so I read through this thread (a herculean effort) and decided on a Shinko 777 for the rear.  Someone pages back recommended a Bridgestone BT-023 110-80/18 for the front.  But I can't find that anywhere online from a US source.

Others are recommending a Shinko Verge for the front but it seems to be only available in 120-70-18.

I can get a Bridgestone BT 45 in 110-80-18.

The Verge is a radial, the BT 45 is bias.

The Shinko rear is a bias.

So my considerations are 120-70-18 vs 110-80-18, and matching radial front with bias rear vs bias front and rear.

I'm looking for the best combination of handling, grip (wet and dry), and economy.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The BT-023 was  great tire. It had been replaced by the T-30 which is now the T31.
Still a great tire in my opinion.
Good handling, feedback,and longevity at a low price point.

I have Bridgestone Exedra Max 120/70ZR18 on the front, so that size will fit. The 110-80-18 is perhaps easier to install onto the rim and maybe has better fuel economy (but that size is not always available as you are finding out).

I would have no issue myself, if I desired a "single purchase point/common tire mfg" combo of these..

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Bridgestone/Bridgestone%20MC/bridgestone_battlax_bt023.htm

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Bridgestone/Bridgestone%20MC/exedra_max.htm

I don't particularly care for B'Stones, as I am riding a C14... but always loved Michelin's and Avons, on my C10's.

in my mind, the best C10 tires were the older Michelin Macadam's.. un believable tires... no longer made in "our sizes".
these are off shoots of that design.
Rear
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Michelin/Michelin%20Commander%20II.htm
front
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Michelin/Michelin_Pilot_Activ.htm
and both suitable for older Connies, prior to the front end changes..

and I still don't rule these out, for general usage...
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AVON/AVON%20MC/avon_venom.htm

finding a GREAT aggressive tire for my '78 KZ1000LtdB2, is still killing me... I have some Dunflop 491's, that I try to burn off... but they have about as much wet traction as 2 bricks being slid against each other... wet bricks at that...

still a lot of tire available for the C10, just forget about the radial aspect, and buy a good tire, (ie.e. a bias ply if desired... hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get..) with an acceptable speed rating, based on your riding... You will never see 150MPH on the bike, so buy tires rated for riding... as they are rated like 2x higher just on general saftey principal... i.e., you can go 200mph on an H rated tire, and it won't blow out... ya don't need Z rated tires.

I am running the Michelin Commander II rear and Pilot Activ front combination. I just got back from a 3700mi ride to the Black Hills and back through central Wyoming. The tires now have 5k miles on them and they could do the trip again. We did I-90 to Deadwood and mostly backroads the rest of the trip. These tires work great and I would buy them again but I have collected everything to change over to 17" wheels. I am going to put a set on my 84' Sabre 700 real soon though.

I prefer radials as I feel they turn in more quickly, with less effort.
Soooo, just to be different;  >:D
    {instead of a 120/70R-18} I installed a 110/80R-18 Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on the front of my C-10.. {$115.85}
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-motorcycle-tire/p/30568

{instead of a 150/80R-16} I installed a 180/60R-16 {Shinko Journey} on the rear of my C-10. {$131.85}
            Yes, it took some effort, but it fits fine...
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-se890-journey-touring-radial-tires

So far I like the combination, but the resultant tire profile's make the bike go into a turn "very" quickly! <evil grin>
If ya like playing in the twisties on yer C-10, "thinkaboutit"...  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

Ahh, as much as I hate change, I'm disappointed to see things haven't changed on this forum.  The previous comment, "hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get" was the final reminder why I haven't frequented this site in the last year and a half.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, someone was unselfish enough to provide detailed info for anyone interested in going to the "dark side" with a car/taxi tire.  And, they provided this info without any derogatory remarks for those who didn't agree with this approach.  I'm sure the folks who put a lot of miles on their motorcycles surely appreciated the input whether they followed this path or not.

It's a shame some folks can't respect everyone's right to explore new things and/or just have fun when it doesn't impact them personally.  Sure, voice your opinion, dialog is good, but keep it respectful of other peoples feeling.  For me, I'm out of here.  I'm older now and I'm only going to live once, so I sure don't need these negative vibes.  I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Ride safe and have fun.

While it's always nice to be sensitive to other persons feelings, it would be extremely hard for me to keep a straight face and proclaim that it's a wonderful idea to take a performance motorcycle capable of 130mph and put a square tread antique car tire on it.I'm sure if a shop did this for someone they could probably get sued for malpractice. This is kinda like a toss-up between humorous and insensitive.

I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Jim, don't cut yourself out of the fun.
If you don't like a discussion, simply go to another that is enjoyable to you.

Ride safe, Ted

I just got an e-mail, from some person that doe not know me, saying pretty much"thank you for all the good advice you have given..."
and told me to disregard the insults..

phehhh.. I don't find it an insult someone gleaned a "personal opinion/quip" I made, out of context, and turned it into a silly "crying session".. frankly, I stand behind my findings about car tires on Concours bikes.. I HAVE ridden 2 of them with the Taxi tires, and found the handling, re-activity, and safe feeling, a reason WHY i joke about it.. if someone wants to pop up, and dis me over what I said, well... if you ain't done it/ experienced it/paid for it.. you have zero to say. I personally can't tell someone to do it.. even those that have "done it" will admit... "it takes time to get used to the handling".. That in itself, should speak volumes.

Now, while the person eamed to go back in time, and find the "recommendation", they clearly didn't read the input that was given be me then, as Tech Editor, nor did they read the same thing the following tech editor Fred Harmon wrote.. non of us would ever "suggest" this swap to anyone.. if you want to stick some odd stuff on your bike, have at it.. tell us how it works out. But never say "hey everyone.. do this....."

sorry for the rant, i was only speaking from actual personal experience, and the outcome.

Jim said:
Ahh, as much as I hate change, I'm disappointed to see things haven't changed on this forum.  The previous comment, "hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get" was the final reminder why I haven't frequented this site in the last year and a half.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, someone was unselfish enough to provide detailed info for anyone interested in going to the "dark side" with a car/taxi tire.  And, they provided this info without any derogatory remarks for those who didn't agree with this approach.  I'm sure the folks who put a lot of miles on their motorcycles surely appreciated the input whether they followed this path or not.

It's a shame some folks can't respect everyone's right to explore new things and/or just have fun when it doesn't impact them personally.  Sure, voice your opinion, dialog is good, but keep it respectful of other peoples feeling.  For me, I'm out of here.  I'm older now and I'm only going to live once, so I sure don't need these negative vibes.  I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Ride safe and have fun.
exactly why i wont be a paid member, as long as this behavior is tolerated, i wont support it either. It does NOT fly on my discussion board , at all. (yes, i own a 2 stroke forum) with a LOT of legacy. I see a LOT of nontraditional stuff done, but nobody gets flogged for it. if they do, ban-hammer time, regardless of how technically adept they are. Interestingly, all the people that have been in the business for 40+ years and such, (land speed holders, manufacturers, pro engine and race bike builders) don't leave and they, as true professionals, don't act that way either.  That's actually WHY  they stay in that community.  .02.

For what it's worth, (at the recent COG National) the Michelin Motorcycle Tire Representative gave us his input about car tires on a motorcycle.
He said: DO NOT DO IT because {if the fail} they fail catastrophically in a manner {side wall blow out} that almost always causes a crash..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: After his discussion, I asked the Michelin Guy about the installation of the wider {180/60} tire on my C-10's narrow rim. {see post 606}
      He said; (Officially) he couldn't recommend it as the (180/60) tire is too wide for the rim.
                  (Unofficially) he said that he didn't feel I would have the same safety concerns that I would have if I installed a s____d car tire.
                  Then; we went outside, got a beer, and (Unofficially) talked bad about MOB..  :beerchug:

I'm trying to be funny here guys. Let's go back to the tire discussion..
              Ain't life great!!!  :rotflmao:

Hey there, I'm looking at putting some fresher tires on the 1986 I just bought. I like the grip I'm getting from the Bridgestone's that are on it but I've already put a thousand miles on them and they are 4 years old. Question is can I use a 120/70 18 on the front? Can't find a match for the one it came with 110/80 18. Back is no problem, I found a match for it 150/ 80 16. No real hurry, they still have good depth for now.

I have been running Avon AM26’s on my C10 this summer. I rode on just about every type of road surface on my Alaska run, wet and dry, with great traction and handling. I got over 21,000 miles out of my front tire before it was worn to the wear bars. I averaged between 7500 and 8500 miles on three rear tires with the one front tire. Very confidence-inspiring, even on loose, wet surfaces. I will continue to run these tires as long as they make them.

Rastus said:
I have been running Avon AM26’s on my C10 this summer. I rode on just about every type of road surface on my Alaska run, wet and dry, with great traction and handling. I got over 21,000 miles out of my front tire before it was worn to the wear bars. I averaged between 7500 and 8500 miles on three rear tires with the one front tire. Very confidence-inspiring, even on loose, wet surfaces. I will continue to run these tires as long as they make them.
Awesome report. I have been recommending these tires for many years. They really are great tires. You would never guess they were bias ply tires. The puzzling thing is these have been available for many years and very few knew about them. Anyone who ever followed my C-10 thru the twisties can attest to the handling of the AM-26's.

My how time flies, here it is May 6, 2020. I ended up putting 4 thousand miles on the tires that were on my Connie when I bought it. I changed my mind about buying Bridgestone and bought Michelin Pilot Active for the front and Dunlop D404 150/80-16 for the back. Just finished installing the front, it wasn't too bad of a job and saved some money. Getting the old Bridgestone off was much harder than getting the new tire on. This was my first time changing a MC tire. Looking for helpful hints for changing the back. I love the sound of a tire seating on the rim, it sounds like victory.

Cut the old tyre off! Use a hand held grinder with a narrow 'slitting disc', soon goes through rubber and steel belts etc, just take your time near the wheel rims  ;D

Thanks to all on this forum for the insights on tires. Pulled the trigger on a set of the Avon Storm 3-Ds for my 2000 C10. Went with the 110/80-18 front and 150/80-16 rear.

Will report back after install. 

Can't wait!  >:D

I have old Avon Storms on my (almost rebuilt!) A9, 1995 UK bike, and have a new pair of Storm 3D-XM ready to fit.
I also went for a 110 front, as that is whats currently fitted: I'm now hearing than the 120 is best, and that's the listed size for the later bikes like mine. Anyone tried both, and which do you recommend?  ;D

Thank you guys for all of the great advice and information on here.  I got my 2005 last fall and have been slowly learning about it through this forum.

I only have about 300 miles on them so far, but my set of Avon Storm 3D X-M's that I just installed are great!  110/80/18 front and 150/80/16 on the rear.  I'm almost certain that the tires on the bike when I bought it last fall were original from 2005, and it showed.

I'm not sure if if was just going from old squared off tires to fresh ones, but the turn in response with the new set is so light and playful that it's like a different bike.  I also haven't had it out in the wet yet, but my 30 mile commute looks like it will solve that problem next week.

I'll post an update at some point about how these tires wear.  Hopefully that is a year or two down the road.

People went for the 110 front for just the reasons you say!  :great:
I did read a post ages ago, where the owner had removed the 120 and gone back to 110and it turned in much quicker. Be very interesting to get some feedback as my bike came with a 110 so I've never ridden it with the 'correct' tyre!

Avon Storm 3D xm are no longer available new in the US. I went to two Motorcycle dealerships and an independent motorcycle repair shop this past week. All three showed me that the Storm line and the Storm 3D xm were no longer in the Avon catalog. One called their distributor who had none in his warehouse network.

“Avon Support

The Avon Spirit ST replaced the Storm 3D-XM in US. Both of the sizes you are looking for are in the Spirit ST range. Please see the attached catalog for more details.“

Cycle Gear and Revzilla still list the tire but show 8-10 day shipping delays. I assume this is old stock. Unless I get my 17” wheel swap completed I’ll be trying a set of these for next season.

Tire prices are current as of today.  Sizes are for my bike, not a Connie but it should give you a good idea.  Note, one of the rebates expires in 9 days.

so-what's-the-best-brandmodel-tires-for-the-c10

Chris

Attachments

• Tire Prices.jpg
    Tire Prices.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 330
I have run the same set of avon spirits for the past 3 years and am about to replace. This set has 12,870 miles on them. 110 front and 150 rear. The front is still in good shape the rear has reasonable tread left but because of the mileage it is flat in the center. I will definitley replace with same if I can get them here in Ontario Canada.
I am 170 lbs and the bike was fully loaded for a 6000+ miles trip across Canada.

Be careful with your Avon Spirit ST(150/80/16) in the last of the wear range. Mine wore on the sides more than the center. If the very small z shaped groves are gone in the center blocks there is very little useful life left. This tire passed state inspection 500 miles ago. When I left Saturday no grove was worn flush although there was some stepped wear at the center. 300 miles of back roads later it looked like this. Came home on the straightest roads I could find. Even with this wear the tire rode good. I could just barley feel a little vibration in the pegs with just a slight lean, (on the cupped edges of the center tread compound.) I have a new one on order. I normally try to avoid the interstates and ride 2 up on back roads most of the time.
20200905_205455.jpg20200905_205536.jpg

Thanks I will keep an eye on it. It is not cupped, just flat with still tread left.
You are correct, when I lean you can feel the larger outside tread. It is going very soon.
How many miles did you get out of yours?

I didn't write down the mileage when I put it on but it was at the beginning of the 2018 riding season. 3-5k a year. I am going to guess at about 10k to 11k.

I got a pair of Avon Storm 3D XM's that came in today, great price. Replacing the 3 year olds on the bike now.

The absolute best handling bias ply tire I have ever used on my C-10 were the Avon AM-26's. Ask anyone who ever followed me through the twisties. And they have always been available in C-10 sizes. I ran the 110/80 front and 150/80 rear.

Just purchased my second set of Avon spirit ST's, in Ontario, Canada they are presently 48% off. Roughly $375 Canadian for the pair.
My local shop matches price.
The original website is "Pete's Superbike " just outside Montreal Quebec.

There are other considerations than cornering or wear. I've had tires fail due to weight - mostly rear tires. The wife and I weigh a total of 330 pounds on a good day. On long trips we've carried 110 pounds of gear - which if I remember is the load capacity of the C-10 (440lbs) The bike handles fine with this load but I've had two new tires fail - an Avon and a Shinko. The tires didn't fail catastrophically but both developed a bulge or wobble. Left on the tires may have caused trouble but the tires were quickly taken out of service.
It's hard to judge how the weight is distributed on the front and read tire. Some of us could exceed the weight capacity of the motorcycle with two riders. Tires have a load capacity readily available, but again the tires that failed me were rated for the weight we traveled with.
I recall that SISF had a similar tire failure. Tire failures as I recently learned can hurt.

I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3D XM's from my local shop.
$104 for the front, $136 for the rear.
Chaparal, Revzilla et al did not have the 16" rear.
Amazon had the front for $102, but the rear was $226..... not sure why..meh,
I've been trying to avoid Amazon, everything I've looked at lately on Amazon, no longer
has "country of origin" on specs. I liked to know where things are made. Amazon getting too big anyway.

My shop said they would have the front in 4 days and the rear in 2 weeks.
I take my wheels off and take em to the shop to have the tires mounted. Saves a little $$

Mounted Shinko 011s on my 95. Vast improvement over the 8 year old Avons. The old Storm on the front was particularly bad.

I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3D XM's from my local shop.
$104 for the front, $136 for the rear.
Chaparal, Revzilla et al did not have the 16" rear.
Amazon had the front for $102, but the rear was $226..... not sure why..meh,
I've been trying to avoid Amazon, everything I've looked at lately on Amazon, no longer
has "country of origin" on specs. I liked to know where things are made. Amazon getting too big anyway.

My shop said they would have the front in 4 days and the rear in 2 weeks.
I take my wheels off and take em to the shop to have the tires mounted. Saves a little $$
I'm pretty sure that Avon replaced the 3D-XM's with the Spirit's.
If I'm correct (??) this would explain you having problems getting the 3D's.

I suggest, check my memory, and contact the shop and see if they can get Spirit's instead.
If you can't, and get the 3D's, check the manufacture date..

Ride safe, Ted

I suggest, check my memory, and contact the shop and see if they can get Spirit's instead.

Ride safe, Ted
I know it's not a c10 which means different tire sizes but I just mounted up a pair of Avon 3d xm storms on my c14 that I got from Dennis Kirk in about 5 days. Front manufactured date 3720, the rear was 4719.
I would of tried the RS 2's but hard to find, I think it's because there is a lot of them sitting in coggers garages. 😆
My last set was the Michelin road 5 gt's , only got 4800 miles. I really liked them but not enough mileage for almost $500 for the set. Geez.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted,
I got the front tire mounted, the manufacture date was 4 months ago. I checked it before I left the shop
The rear is on back order. I got the wheel off waiting for it
Cheers
Bob

Been running the Avon Storm 3D's front and rear and love them. Had the bike in turns that had the pucker factor kick in and they hold like glue. Good tread life so far as well.

Very disappointed that the Michelin Commander III tires are not available to fit the Connie.
The FortNine youtube editorial made these tires sound really desirable.

It looks like I am going to buy the same tires I bought last year Dunlop Roadsmart front and Pirelli Sport Demon rear.

The vendor I have used is JPcycles. Too bad they don't sell airbag riding jackets. The jackets are pricey but the stories of how they prevent injuries is something my Medicare old guy ears I can hear.

What front tire is usually paired with a

SHINKO 777 on a C10? Thanks

I had a Bridgestone battleaxe paired with mine when I had a 777 . Worked well but I will say the only time I've had this bike slip out on me in a corner was with the 777 . I love the Avon Storms I have now . They seem to stick as far as I am willing to lean her over no matter what .

I had a Bridgestone battleaxe paired with mine when I had a 777 . Worked well but I will say the only time I've had this bike slip out on me in a corner was with the 777 . I love the Avon Storms I have now . They seem to stick as far as I am willing to lean her over no matter what .
Thank for heads up!

Just put on a new Avon Spirit on the front. Ready for National with new rubber. I tried a new way to unmount my tire. After using 6" c-clamps to break the bead, and ty-wrapping the tire beads together. I ran a 1" web soft tie around the tire. Then I clamped the wheel to a 4 x 4 over head deck post being careful not to catch the brake disc on anything. Hooked a come along to the soft tie and the other end to another post. I pulled the first part of the bead over the top of the rim and then just a small pry at the edges of the contact point of the tire to the rim and off it came. The prying is optional but it just expands the area of the bead that is off the rim faster than just pulling.

Using the tywraps, clamps, and the cable hoist was the fastest and easiest way I have ever removed a tire from the rim. Zero damage and tire irons are optional for removal.

Hey all,

I have a significant air leak in my rear tire. I have a dealer checking it out now, but suspect that they'll come back with the old "You need to replace the tire" line. (The rubber is still good, but if it has a hole in it, my understanding is that you don't repair, you only replace.)

So, I believe it currently has an Avon 195 (? - not sure, bike isn't in front of me) on the rear. I don't ride crazy-hard, don't lay it down nearly sideways in curves, but do like to corner hard sometimes. Try to avoid riding in the rain, but sometimes, you know, you get caught in the rain.

So, pretty much normal riding, and I want to take some long trips this coming spring/summer.

I've read the forum on tires, and people seem pretty passionate about which tires are the best. I'd like to get your opinion on what tires provide the best value and performance.

Thanks guys!

Dano
I really like and have stayed with the Avon Storm XM (front and rear), good tires, decent value, good performance.

Gonna bump this to see if I can get a current answer:

What are gonna be the best stock size tires for a C10? I ride daily, in all conditions. Rain, shine, heat, cold... if there isn't ice on the ground, I'm out riding.

Performance is 60%, longevity is 40%. I ride in the city a lot, and I also hang off the bike in the twisties. And I'm a heavy (280+ lbs) who will ride two up frequently.

With that in mind, what tires are recommended? Bias ply or Radial? And which tires? I'm in the USA.

Thanks!

Look at post #635. Jim has used and tested these! A good recommendation.
I just looked, and Avon says these tires are not available here in the US. I'll see if I can find them elsewhere, but barring those, do you have another recommendation?

I just looked, and Avon says these tires are not available here in the US. I'll see if I can find them elsewhere, but barring those, do you have
Well it appears they have discontinued them. What a shame these were great tires for the C-10.
I would contact Avon direct and see if they still have a distributor in the US.

Yep that's the exact same tread pattern as the AM 26

Good luck finding the 150/80-16 rear in the MKII. I tried finding one when my AM26 rear wore out, and they were out of stock everywhere. A quick search now yields the same results. I ended up putting a Shinko Verge on the rear of my bike and can't wait until it's worn out and I can replace it. Still running the AM26 front.

I found both sizes on Motosports website. But the rear is out of stock, but they do show them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230825_182827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_182827_Chrome.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 46
Anyone have experience with the Pirelli Sport Demon?

I have a matched set on my ZX6000-C (pic in avatar), and am very happy with them. They've got 6,000 miles on to-date, and the rear probably has a couple thousand more, with quite a bit more left on the front. Grip is good in all conditions I've ridden.

I had them on my short list for my new 2002 Connie, but it appears the front size has just been discontinued, so I'm looking for other options again.

BTW, the ZX600-C has a similar tire availability problem, despite having the same diameter rims front and back. The stock 110/80-16 is only available in scooter grades now (55S), so everyone runs a 120, which works fine.

I'm going to need new rubber on my newly-acquired 2002 Connie (it's got some Dunlops with very few miles on them, but a 2006 date code, yikes). I care more about handling and traction than tire life, as I only ride a couple thousand miles a year.

I'm not stubborn about matching front/rear, but I like the idea. I've done a lot of reading on the front size, and it seems like 110/80-18 is a good route. I've currently got Sport Demon's on the 600, and have been happy with them. It's also a very different bike, though, and a heck of a lot lighter.

For radials, it looks like the Avon AM26 has been a well-regarded choice, but it's currently shown out-of-stock everywhere I've checked, and with the future of Avon in question, I'm wondering if they ever will come back in stock. Seems to be the same for the Roadrider MkII (although some say that's the new name for the AM26?), and Storm 3D. Are there any other radial options still available?

It seems like Bias Ply options are better, with matched sets available for Metzler Lasertec, Bridgestone Battleax BT46s, and (maybe?) Sport Demons, although the front is showing discontinued on some sites.

I'm planning to get them in another couple months, in hope of getting the freshest date code before spring riding.

Thanks, please do! That's a combo that I haven't looked at.

If some Avon radials ever come back in stock, that's what I'm currently leaning towards, but otherwise I am probably going to settle for some reputable bias-ply like Metzler Lasertecs (or maybe Battleax BT45/46, but I gather the rears don't last long). I could always go with Sport Demons, as I have been really happy with them on my 600, but I guess I'm just tempted to try something different.

If some Avon radials ever come back in stock, that's what I'm currently leaning towards, but otherwise I am probably going to settle for some reputable bias-ply like Metzler Lasertecs (or maybe Battleax BT45/46, but I gather the rears don't last long). I could always go with Sport Demons, as I have been really happy with them on my 600, but I guess I'm just tempted to try something different.

I'm really hoping that the Night Dragon will last a long time with the load rating (77-906 lbs). My front is a bit low (58- 502lbs), but the combination of the two is WELL over the weight of the bike, me, my fiance, and any gear we'd bring. So that should be ok.

It'll be my first time on Pirellis.... I'm not too worried about grip (they're Pirelli, lol), but I WILL be interested to see how long that Night Dragon lasts. Its designed for heavy Vtwin cruisers with lots of power and torque (from the description), so I'm hoping my itty bitty 600lb Connie will be light on the rear, leading to longevity.

One can hope....

-x01660

Steer clear of Metzlers though . Hard as rocks .

You don't like them? My 600 had one on the front back in 2005 when I bought it. It might have been a different model than the lasertec, but it has the same tread pattern. It seemed OK back then.
He's talking about the marathon model. Back in the day, they were good. Currently, they're going for high mileage and many report that the rubber compound is harder than some of their competitors. I loved them on the GS1000E back in 84 though.

Ok! So I got my tires put on! For reference, I've got stock wheels on a C10, and I went with:
  • Front: Pirelli Angel GT 110/80ZR18
  • Rear: Pirelli Night Dragon GT 150/80R16

First impressions:
  • Grip for DAYS! Only in dry conditions so far, but WOW. Very confidence inspiring when leaned over
  • Bike tips in a LOT quicker. I think the term is quicker steering? Might have to do with the narrower front tire (I was running a 120/70R18), but the bike just WANTS to turn. Doing a slalom on these tires is a DREAM.
  • Not sure if these are bias ply or radials, but the bike seems to want to be leaning more than being upright. It feels like it wants to tip into a turn pretty much at will, though that may be because they're brand new.
  • Just got them today, so I'll have to update on longevity.

Overall, I'm VERY impressed. The handling is phenomenal. Here's hoping I can get at least 6k miles outta that rear!

EDIT: These ARE radials. I now understand why I should be getting radials over bias ply. The front is a radial and the rear is bias ply. And on the Harley and Victory forums, people are getting 6k-8k out of the rear, on heavy dressers in Southwest heat. So these should last. I'll update this post again for posterity, once I get more miles. But I'm thinking I'm gonna be team Pirelli from here on out. These tires have transformed the bike.

-x01660

Last edited:
EDIT: These ARE radials. I now understand why I should be getting radials over bias ply.... And on the Harley and Victory forums, people are getting 6k-8k out of the rear, on heavy dressers in Southwest heat. So these should last. I'll update this post again for posterity, once I get more miles. But I'm thinking I'm gonna be team Pirelli from here on out. These tires have transformed the bike.

-x01660
The front is a radial (110/80-ZR18), the rear is a bias ply (150/80-B16).

The front is a radial (110/80-ZR18), the rear is a bias ply (150/80-B16).

Hmmm... could that be the reason my tip in is quicker?

Also, is that gonna cause me issues at extreme lean angle? I mean, I figure I'd be scraping the pegs before I run out of tread on the rear, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I've read on various forums over the years that pairing a radial and bias ply can be an issue.

Seems fine so far, so we'll see!!

-x01660

Hmmm... could that be the reason my tip in is quicker?

Also, is that gonna cause me issues at extreme lean angle? I mean, I figure I'd be scraping the pegs before I run out of tread on the rear, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I've read on various forums over the years that pairing a radial and bias ply can be an issue.

Seems fine so far, so we'll see!!

-x01660
What size front tire did you have previously? If you went from a 120 to a 110, that will likely make it feel quicker.

Also don't forget that going from just about any worn tire to new tire will feel a lot different, as you're going from a flat-centered worn profile to a fresh, new round one.

What size front tire did you have previously? If you went from a 120 to a 110, that will likely make it feel quicker.

Also don't forget that going from just about any worn tire to new tire will feel a lot different, as you're going from a flat-centered worn profile to a fresh, new round one.

That's correct. I had a 120/70 on there before. A Shinko 777.

That said, I got the bike with pretty fresh tires. Plenty of tread and not rounded off at all. And they didn't feel anywhere near as "tippy" as these tires I have now.

I think, like you said, it has to do with the narrower front tire.

Is that going to affect the handling at all? Is there a benefit/cost to going with a wider/narrower front tire?

-x01660

If you search the C10 forum, you will find plenty of discussion on the 110 vs 120 front tire width and radial vs bias ply matching. From what I recall, the skinnier front tire (110) will cause quicker turn in than the 120. Some people like that, some don't. I made the change to the 110 years ago due to the limited availability of 120 size tires and have never looked back. As far as mixing radials and bias ply, there are plenty of opinions out there on this - probably as many as what the best tire for the C10 is. A quick Google search finds this: "The reason they say not to mix radial and bias-ply tires is because a BP tire grows in circumference at speed due to centrifugal force. Radials don't do this due to their construction. A bp rear and a radial front can reduce rake at speed , due to the rear tire growing , and cause instability." True or not? Who knows, but based on discussions here, plenty of folks are running this setup without issues. It's kind of hard not to given the limited availability of 16" radial tires.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the tire debates/discussions are a lot like oil; strong feelings and impressions, but probably not as much actual difference as it might seem.

I'm currently considering doing a 17" conversion before I buy new tires for the spring, but am not sure how much it's really worth for my use. Plus, the extra options with 17" tires is just makes tire choice even harder!

This is the way I figure it; I have pushed my GS1100 on Dunlops to the absolute edge (chasing a BMW Z4 on CA HWY 130 from Mines Rd back to Patterson), on a bike with less than ideal forks and quite questionable brakes. Anyone here who has a GS1100 knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And I never once was in a situation where I thought "Gee, I wish I had better tires!"

I think with my (older, and a little more sedate) sensibilities, I won't be pushing the tires NEAR enough to cause the expansion of the rear tire to upset my rake enough that I get mid corner wobble and crash out. Any mid corner wobble from the tire expansion can't compare to the flex of the cradle frame on a GS1100....

Which is all to say that I agree with Seth on the tire thing. I think I'll be ok.

I have a corner in town that I'm gonna go hit later and see how it does. That will tell me what I need to know.

But for now, I think this combo is pretty good.

And to be clear, I'm a heavy dude who rides loaded down regularly. And 2 up. So take that into consideration when you make your decision. :)

-x01660

We've had issues with tires failing on trips (two up, 340 lbs total me 220, the wife 120) and then 100 pounds of stuff. It's always the rear tire and never a sudden catastrophic failure but more of an unsettling wobble. Avon and Shinko both went wobbly mid trip. Michelin Commander II is what we use now. The Michelin holds up well tread wise too - but the hard rubber doesn't give comforting grip in turns and wants to lock up when hard braking.

Yeah, these tires are perfect; I was able to hit my set of corners 10mph faster than before. Come in at 80mph, brake hard and lean. I am now doing 60 mph leaned over right when I pitch the bike over to the right.

Holy hell.....

😈

-x01660

I had been running Bridgestone Exedra, G701/G702. I had gone through 3 sets in 50K miles from 2017 to 2022. They are hard to mount and install because they are a little too wide. I'm not a very good rider, I can't tell you if they handled well, but they lasted. On my last set, that I put on in spring of 2019, I found an allen key stuck in the rear tire side wall a week after I put them on. Boo-Whoo. I filled the tear with rubber cement and ordered a replacement. The glue held the tire together till the tread was gone and I had to buy a tire on while traveling, and I still have the extra one I bought!

Ok, last year I switched to the Mettlers ME88, and I still have the Bridgestone. Anyone interested? Date code 3018 (week 30, 2018) I never even opened the box till a few minutes ago, to get the date code. I'm in Marlborough MA, anyone can have it.

Boy, this thread has been going for a while!
Some years ago, I recommended Avon 3D X-M; I have to withdraw that recommendation.
My 2nd set of these tires went on my C14. All was good for a while. Then I started getting a slight handlebar wobble at low speed and vibrations at high speed. I found that the front tire had warped, sort of in the shape of a Pringles chip. I replaced it and the issue went away.
A couple of years later, on my way to the National in Alabama, felt a rear wobble and vibrations, replaced the rest and the issue went away. Both tires were replaced with plenty of tread remaining.
I'd heard others (Steve, I should have taken your advice) have similar issues with Avons, so it wasn't just me.

This is the way I figure it; I have pushed my GS1100 on Dunlops to the absolute edge (chasing a BMW Z4 on CA HWY 130 from Mines Rd back to Patterson), on a bike with less than ideal forks and quite questionable brakes. Anyone here who has a GS1100 knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And I never once was in a situation where I thought "Gee, I wish I had better tires!"

I think with my (older, and a little more sedate) sensibilities, I won't be pushing the tires NEAR enough to cause the expansion of the rear tire to upset my rake enough that I get mid corner wobble and crash out. Any mid corner wobble from the tire expansion can't compare to the flex of the cradle frame on a GS1100....

Which is all to say that I agree with Seth on the tire thing. I think I'll be ok.

I have a corner in town that I'm gonna go hit later and see how it does. That will tell me what I need to know.

But for now, I think this combo is pretty good.

And to be clear, I'm a heavy dude who rides loaded down regularly. And 2 up. So take that into consideration when you make your decision. :)

-x01660
Loved my GS1100 but no where comparable to the C-10 yet it was still a fun bike
CD9C558F-0586-403B-A03F-90AD41CAB611.png

Hey Zak, I picked up a 8” light and bucket on eBay just it case I ever take my C-10 naked🤪🤪
That and it could be an investment.

A naked C10 would be SO much fun... all that power, minus a solid 50 lbs... chop the subframe and make it a solo seat.... the ultimate day trip bomber!

-Z