• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Soft, sport TOURING shock?

angelo

Short version:  What is a VERY compliant rear shock to add to my C14 to fully (as possible) make my wife comfortable as can be on a C14?  We live in Northern IL and travel to WI and the roads are bumpy and suck hard. 

Long version:  While the C14 is a great option for equal sports AND touring, I am getting a second bike.  My reliance on the C14 will be for two up and me touring to an ocean.  For more local sport riding strafes, I will have a different bike. 

I am 210 lbs.  My wife is 110lbs.  What I have tried is very little pre load, and 2.5 turns out on the rear shock damping.  And everything north of there.  We don't want a Goldwing - yet.  Don't want a cruiser.  What shock options do we have to give her a full on soft ride?  When she is on the back, we don't go fast as I have found the slower I ride her, the more she comes -- to ride...  ;-)

Even Longer Version:  Our C14 has 44K or so miles.  ABS.  Comfortable.  We like it.  Valves done and good for a while.  Our idea of fun two-up riding is a couple of hours, stop at a winery for her, a couple more hours, park the bike for the night and Uber out for the night.

Don't want to buy another bike - do I need too?  Surely I can do something to make the back more soft and springy, no?  Would rather make the stock shock work.  After that, would rather spend some $ on a shock than a different bike neither of us would enjoy. 

Long post, sorry.   

Don't know if simply going softer with less damping is the answer ?

My guess is you need a shock/spring optimized for 330 lbs of Rider/Passenger , not softer/less damping.

I would give RaceTech a call ( 951.279.6655 ) and get their input and recommendation.  They can re-valve your rear shock and install the proper rate spring.

I know from reading some of your comments in the past, that you really don't want to drop the bucks on suspension upgrades.  BUT, with the situation you have described, it seems like you should just go ahead and call Traxxion or Penske etc. and get the bike set up properly per your specs.  Sounds like it would be easy to sell to your wife.  You've read what some of the folks have said after upgrading.  If you decide to sell the bike later, you can just sell off the upgrades and put it back to stock.  It might be a real game changer for you and your wife.

Many here have said that the spring on a C-14; is set up for a rider {that weighs less than 200 lbs}
So, best my guess would be you need a stiffer spring, and more damping.

{As everyone knows} I am NOT a shock expert, but It sounds {to me} like you adjusted the shock completely backwards.
  You have no preload so the spring (which is too soft already) is compressed a lot. {so you have no travel available}
  You have little/no damping so the seat jumps back up after hitting a bump.

Watch one of the shock adjustment video's and try setting your suspension as they describe.

Last;
  I suspect your least expensive option is to have the shock rebuilt or {gasp} buy a better one.
  Probably easiest to call RaceTech and ask the experts.

Ride safe, Ted

Angelo
My wife and I had the same problem, we had the Traxxion and Penske shock installed and on the ride home my wife commented "this is so much better".  We also have a custom seat reworked foot pegs for rider and floorboards for passenger with a Shad trunk and custom back rest.  Good tires and correct tire pressure also help. Many other small changes made also.
SW Roadrunner