• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sold the Connie, I still have the itch.

JerBear

I sold my C14 back in May. I have some issues with my feet and as I got older that big of a bike wasn’t needed or as enjoyable. I have been searching for a bike that is smaller and has less fairing and still has the upright seating of an older (think 70-80’s) standard bike. I’m trying to decide what bike to buy and appreciate your opinions. I’m leaning towards a 2020 Kaw Rs900 cafe or a 2014 Honda CB1100 or a 2016 Honda CTX 700 with the Kawi being the ( money’s no object ) leader and the CTX the ( have some cash to go riding) leader. What other models might work?

I've been wanting a lighter bike too, and looking at the Honda CB650F.
I rode an old CB600 on my Alps ride and loved it..

I'm not a 2 cylinder fan, and the Honda is the only 650 that is a 4 cylinder. (Makes about 80 HP)
Plus it's not so tall that I can't get on the bike. (All the Adventure bikes are too tall for my tastes. {Ok, I'm short}

If I go this way, I'll probably "go used" to save some bucks and the earlier CBF's are more the style I'm looking for..
ie; Have windshields, seating is more upright.

And, you know me. I'm looking for a RED one..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I would suggest going used, but not necessarily to save some bucks...although that is a very valid consideration. As you mentioned, the adventure bikes are too tall. For whatever reason, the manufacturers all decided that was where the market was. It doesn't mean I have to agree with them. There's plenty of faired bikes out there that fit your needs.

I ride a BMW F800GT. It looks like a sport bike, but the ergonomics with bar risers and lowered foot pegs are all day comfortable for me. The aerodynamics work well. The fairing is just large enough to divert the wind from your body...but put a hand out another inch or so from your leg and you'll feel the full blast of the wind. It also helps it in dealing with side winds and turbulence from semi's, etc.

The weight is something I like. 470 lbs wet.

The picture below is with the stock OEM windshield. I have a Madstad windshield on mine and love it.

1631289662889.png

Chris

The BMW looks great but the nearest dealership is three hours away for me. They can be pricey to get parts for. I’m probably going to stick with a Japanese bike but I’m also looking at the Harley 750? Don’t really want a twin but you can’t get a v4 anymore. 🙄

I test rode a CTX 700 years ago. I recall liking the motor and thinking that it had the lowest center of gravity of any motorcycle I've ever ridden. They're a quirky design intended for easy maintenance, great fuel economy, super-easy handling and strong low-end power. It would probably be the most practical and easy to ride choice short of a large scooter. Sporty it is not, however.

The RS900 would be the fastest of what you listed by far, the CB1100 a bit behind but one heck of a UJM. Both taller than the CTX.

I had a test ride on a Street Rod 750. The motor seemed to be pretty good, everything else about it was wrong. Worst ergos of anything I've ever ridden. It's a shame they dropped the ball on the Street lineup. HD could have made something of it, but clearly were not devoted to the project and it showed in every single detail. I dare say it was a passive-aggressive move. Management apparently agreed to move forward with the product line, but seemed to intentionally make it fail. Weird...

You did mention wanting to stick to Japanese bikes with nearby dealers, but a new Royal Enfield Interceptor is pretty cheap and very much an upright standard motorcycle. I did a demo on one at the Barber Vintage Festival in 2019, it worked pretty good and was immediately familiar. Just hop on and all is where you expect it. Likely, owning an Indian bike will require a certain sense of humor, but they seem to be OK so far.

I dropped some weight and went with a first gen Yamaha FZ1, and I've found it hard to improve. It's got a half fairing, super reliable, weighs around 450lbs, slightly modded motor spits outs 150+hp and the bike (not necessarily the rider) has so far been able to keep pace with most C14 riders.
It has a handlebar -- so pretty adjustable -- and an upright position very similar to the C10 or C14. You will have to adjust to a chain, but I honestly don't see that as much of an issue and think most of the resistance harkens back to old times when they required frequent adjustment and lube.
Of course you lose the sweet stock cases and need to figure out how you carry gear, but there are alternatives.
Older FZ1s sell at a C10-like discount, but I would watch for one that was close to stock, or been properly hot rodded.

The BMW looks great but the nearest dealership is three hours away for me. They can be pricey to get parts for. 🙄
I understand. With 79,000 on mine, I've found the maintenance to be minimal and things I can do myself. Brakes. Tires. It's no big deal and nothing I'd see a dealer for.

The F800GT is probably the most reliable BMW model they've made.

FWIW, I just came back from riding for the last 7.5 hours on some extremely twisty roads. And now I'm going to mow the lawn. That's a testimony on how easy this bike is to ride.

Chris

Last edited:
I sold my C14 back in May. I have some issues with my feet and as I got older that big of a bike wasn’t needed or as enjoyable. I have been searching for a bike that is smaller and has less fairing and still has the upright seating of an older (think 70-80’s) standard bike. I’m trying to decide what bike to buy and appreciate your opinions. I’m leaning towards a 2020 Kaw Rs900 cafe or a 2014 Honda CB1100 or a 2016 Honda CTX 700 with the Kawi being the ( money’s no object ) leader and the CTX the ( have some cash to go riding) leader. What other models might work?
I went through the same thing two years ago. Mine was fighting cancer for three times. That really drains a person. Sold the 2008 C-14 to a friend.
Went a year without a bike and the itch was still there. Then the prostate cancer returned and I was scheduled for radiation. When this hit I was determined to beat it so I went out and bought a Versys 650lt.
It's really a fun bike to ride and will almost hit 100mph. Fast enough for this 78 year old. I did lower it as the seat was to high to bet my leg over.

I went through the same thing two years ago. Mine was fighting cancer for three times. That really drains a person. Sold the 2008 C-14 to a friend.
Went a year without a bike and the itch was still there. Then the prostate cancer returned and I was scheduled for radiation. When this hit I was determined to beat it so I went out and bought a Versys 650lt.
It's really a fun bike to ride and will almost hit 100mph. Fast enough for this 78 year old. I did lower it as the seat was to high to bet my leg over.
Thanks for selling me your 08 c14. Heading out on a week-long riding trip, ending up at the Spider ride.
Hope all is well with you Bob!

Well I’ve crossed the CTX off my list. Went to the dealership and sat on the saddle of both the cb1100 and the CTX. The ergos of the CTX won’t work for me. The seat was nice and low but the forward controls made me feel like I was doing a sit-up. The cb1100 was much better but it’s a 2013 model and a 5 speed is not what I want. The 14-17 models had an extra gear but they are hard to find.

If you wanted to stay with Kawi check out the Versys 650. Nice upright position and it feels like half the weight of the C14. I've had two and will likely have a third at some point.
I have been considering one. I rode a 1000 today. I liked it but it certainly didn't have the power of the 14. It was in ride mode and I didn't know how to change it. Didn't rod it to hard as it was a friend's bike with only 5000 on it. He has never even lifted the front wheel on it. I helped him with that

I have klr 692 motard for sale if your interested.

Attachments

• result_1593628091112.jpg
    result_1593628091112.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 127
I have a2008 c14 and a z900rs. the z900rs is only 473lbs compared to 690 for the c14. i use the c14 for long distance duty, but I have taken the z900rs on quite a few longer rides as well. It is kind of a jack of all trades kind of bike. If I had to chose between them I would keep the Z900Rs, because it's lighter and more responsive.

I have a2008 c14 and a z900rs. the z900rs is only 473lbs compared to 690 for the c14. i use the c14 for long distance duty, but I have taken the z900rs on quite a few longer rides as well. It is kind of a jack of all trades kind of bike. If I had to chose between them I would keep the Z900Rs, because it's lighter and more responsive.

Maybe it's the exuberance of my mid-50's "youth", but I have zero difficulty maneuvering this big honkin' C14.
Judicious application of throttle and careful clutch work gets this big girl to do whatever I want her to do.
I'm not afraid of her weight or her girth. In fact, I sorta prefer it to the smaller, less well powered (eg. bouncier) machines.
IMHO, it's sorta like comparing a Porsche GT2 RS to a Toyota Celica.

My Big Girl 2021 C14.jpg

My Big Girl 2021 C14 - profile.jpg

My Big Girl 2021 C14 - profile 2.jpg

The C14 does a good job of making the weight "dissappear" once moving...but to quote Peter Egan...it would have been better for the weight to have disappeared on the designer's CAD workstation.

The C14 does a good job of making the weight "dissappear" once moving...but to quote Peter Egan...it would have been better for the weight to have disappeared on the designer's CAD workstation.

While that may be true when it comes to Formula 1 or fighter aircraft, when it comes to long ride comfort in multiple weather and/or road conditions I'll take weight and girth over "sprightly" any day. I've done the dual-purpose KLRs (both bigger 650 and littler 250 brothers) and the fire-breathing 14,000 RPM autobahn-eating thoroughbred ZX-10R already, and where I am in my life at this point I'm finding the ZG1400 to be a really nice middle ground. If I can go so far as to draw a parallel with aircraft, I see this as being the B-1B Lancer of motorbikes.

Besides, when I get on a bike I like being able to go where I want when I want to. There are faster machines, lighter machines, louder machines and more artistic machines to choose from at all price points. But I'm MUCH more than happy with my choice. :^ )

Hope y'all are too, no matter what you're riding. As long as it brings you a sense of joy and liberation then I say go for it (safely of course).

Best wishes to everybody for an incredible week ahead. Cheers, AB

The C14 is a great compromise especially for 2-up distance riding. I agree it's close to a sweet spot for so-called sport touring. But it would be that much better (in my opinion) if it were 100 lbs lighter, closer to a Duc Multistrada or even a BMW R1250RT...both very comfortable bikes at lesser weight.

Do you ride 2up? If no or mostly no consider a Ninja1000. few hundred pounds lighter. Upright seat. Decent protection with an aftermarket screen and still able to smoke the unsuspecting who are unaware of how capable this bike is. I have a 2014 and have loved it for close to 30,000 miles now with no issues. I went from a C-10 to this and have no regrets. Factory bags have never leaked and I can pack it up with as much as I did on the C-10.

Tracer 9 will be on my short-list when I am done with the Connie. I think the VStrom and the Versys are good choices, also. A VFR800 w/factory bags (hard to find w/bags, but they are out there), a Triumph Sprint ST could work, or BMW F800 as mentioned above are all good choices if you are not so gifted of inseam. If you gotta have the power, a KTM 1290 only weights 474 lbs.....