• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Soldiers Grove-HOBO Rally July 12th

ZG/ZN Kim

Just wanted to put some more info out there about Soldiers Grove next month:
-This is not the normal "catered" event.
-I will set up electric fry pan, bread, wraps, cheese to make breakfast sandwiches, just like Cliff does down at the Horseshoe Mtn. Rally. Cook your own, $1 a sandwich. PLEASE REGISTER SO I CAN PLAN FOOD QUANTITY, Thanks
-Lunch will be on your own, suppers will be a collaborative effort of the group, there will be plenty of cooking utensils, just need your culinary imagination.
-I plan on camping  on Wednesday (7/10), will bring plenty of firewood, and a couple of coolers for keeping stuff cold. Hoping for early arrivals
-There is lodging in Soldiers Grove and  nearby Readstown if camping is not your thing.

Not that I am telling anybody anything new,  there are some decent roads in the area. Hope to see you there
Ride Safe,

Kim

TT,

Best riding is during a weekday. Come on down Thursday PM, and stay until Sunday would be the best plan. We could use you for "dreaming up" supper.
Oh, I may have a extra Busch Light too, if you get thirsty.

Hey Kim, sounds like a blast! Good roads, good camping and great folks...cant wait!

Oh, I have some Ideas for evening meals...kinda like we did last year down in Arkansas.

Time off approved. Looks like I can arrive on thursday will have to see if David gets any time off but predict he will arrive friday eve. New front skin on and front pads on order will be good to go.

All sounds good.
I plan on bringing a dutch oven, soup pan, foil, charcoal, paper plates, plastic utensils, pile of firewood, couple coolers, breakfast fixin's(electric fry pan, eggs, bread, wraps). Plus a cooler full of my favorite ice cold beverage(BL).
I also have some route sheets made up. I have been doing some pre-riding already.
Looking forward to this, if there are any special requests let me know. Remember I only live 1 hours from Soldiers Grove.  A gully washer would be the worst thing that could happen, as roads are in pretty good shape right now.

I have a small grill grate with legs for cooking with a campfire. Maybe smoked Brats with a big can of Beans one night. I’ll buy them “down there” while riding. We could re-enact the Blazing Saddles bean eating scene.  :O

Dont worry about the Brats, I just made 100 pounds of brats two weeks ago. I have pepper-jack, pepper jack and Jalapeno, apple and bacon blue cheese brats...or, I can bring home made ring bologna (polish sausage)...just let me know!  :beerchug:

Attachments

• Brats.jpeg
    Brats.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 118
I am almost convinced to attend. :) A rally that started out that you had to bring what you needed has pretty much morphed into I don't have to bring anything. Just a few more food donations and I am in.  :):))

Original post is all in jest. I will bring the big Kelty Shelter just in case the weather is not perfect.

The motorhome will not be attending.

OK, I have one evening meal planned (and will bring everything)...let me know if everyone is in. Red beans and rice, one pot with sausage and another with chicken. Let me know...

In Danno. I will provide dessert to go with dan's meal.

Kim - are we eating out of our mess kits or should I bring some disposable utensils??? Good either way.  Sounds like preparing and eatin' could be as much fun as riding!

Hey Scott, I'm bringing brats as well just in case other folks dont care for read beans and rice. There will be plenty of food, I'm sure! :great:

Wow that is a pile of brats, do you have Wisconsin heritage? Contrary to popular belief, they are soothing to the colon.
I will bring a pile of paper plates, bowls and utensils , but you can you your mess kits just in case.
I had a good ride yesterday(Saturday), 470 miles on SW Wisconsin roads. Most of the roads in pretty good shape.
I have 4 routes written up, 200 miles up to 320 miles. I will have maps with them.  Most routes include county S, P, 33 and the 162 corridor.
I think I am also gonna have my truck at Soldiers Grove, with a ramp, as an insurance policy. 

Wow, this is turning into quite an event.  I will have to come up with something to add to the mix... >:D >:D

scooter trash said:
Dont worry about the Brats, I just made 100 pounds of brats two weeks ago. I have pepper-jack, pepper jack and Jalapeno, apple and bacon blue cheese brats...or, I can bring home made ring bologna (polish sausage)...just let me know!  :beerchug:

WOW! I vote for the multi-flavored Brats. I’ll pick up several cans of steakhouse beans and Buns.
Also some brown Mustard. Ohhh...Beer & Brats.... :beerchug:

Got some of the route sheets printed, waiting on ink cartridges so I can finish.
The weather has taken a turn towards daily thunderstorms, sometimes twice a day.
I might have to bring a couple gallons of diesel and some old tires to get the campfire burning.(wet wood)
Let's hope the weather straightens out the next 7 days or so.

You know, those weather forecasters are never wrong.  ;) We will find out what the weather will really be like on the actual day it occurs.

I was not planning on attending this event, but I'm changing my mind. I will be there Friday afternoon. I have Grandpa duty Thursday afternoon. See, I do have a real job, other than Chief Environmental Engineer at the Barron Compound on Coon Lake. Actually, after my last blood work testing, I need to get some riding in before life changes this fall.

Nice job putting this together Kim. I must say, it sounds like you're running the Wisconsin Tourism Department. Brats soothing to the colon? I heard that only happens if you own a Packers jersey. Anyone bringing Kraut? If not, I can pick some up along the way. Mongo need kraut with beans.

See you at HOBO #2.

Jim,
Glad to hear you can make it. Hopefully there is a brat or 2 left by the time you get there.  Don't worry about kraut in either case, just get there safely.

Yea, the weather will be whatever it wants. Can't predict it, just need to live with it.

Yes, 10 people, all good people.
I just can't believe the interest in the brats. You can get them in MN right? Or is it like Spotted Cow? Dan might have to bring all 100# of brats. Brats every day, morning, noon and night! :eek:

Weather will be the variable, just keep your fingers crossed.

Yes...good bunch of guys! Weather is always a concern but, I'm sure everyone has rain gear??

Jim, great to see you will attend!  :beerchug:

Kim,
Thanks for the offer of one Craft brewed Busch Light. Not to worry, they sell ales and IPAs in WI. I will be able to stay hydrated without buying a 30 pack.

Should be there early afternoon on Friday.

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Yes, 10 people, all good people.
I just can't believe the interest in the brats. You can get them in MN right?

I am glad you are bringing all that Bud light. We will have something to cook the Brats in before we put them on the grill.

Yes Jeff you can use some Busch Light for boiling your brats. BL is pretty handy stuff, removes stains from your clothes, clean rims on your motorcycle, brightens your teeth, cures dandruff, yes also relieves constipation(which will not be a problem with all the brats you guys want to eat) :-\

Anyway, as of today, there will be at least 11 riders, Scott Coberly's son will be coming Friday.
I have 4 route sheets/maps(no GPS):
Primo: 230 mile loop of the best roads
Baraboo Hills:250 mile loop wandering further east than in the past, can also take in Devil's Lake area
Larry's: Yes a 250 mile loop up to Arcadia
Coulee Country: 275 mile loop up into Coulee Country, tops out about 40 miles east of Arcadia
Plus I am trying to obtain Wisconsin state maps so you can do your own thing too.

The current group does a pretty good job of representing the Midwest, but we are missing riders from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and the Dakota's.  Would be nice to see a fresh face from those states. Plus a few more from my state-----Wisconsin. Tom and I are the only ones from Wisconsin
Also would welcome cross country riders on a trip to the National.
Where ever you hail from, come on out to the HOBO rally, I guarantee you will get  a warm welcome, and feel the  camaraderie !

Hey Kim, what time are you thinking of being there on Wednesday?  I was thinking of coming down Wednesday and riding Thursday.  I would have to leave Friday morning.  Would that be possible?
That would make one more Wisconsinite for part of the time.

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Plus I am trying to obtain Wisconsin state maps so you can do your own thing too.

Good luck finding WI state maps. Linda and I spent some time of across the border over the Fourth. I stopped at a couple of information areas looking for maps, but there none to be found. I did find a very detailed map of the Driftless area and I have enough for everyone.

Jeff, I hope you can make. 

JerBear said:
I will try to get out and ride with you during the day
JB, good to hear. If you get there by 9:00 AM, someone should be there

Jeff, I will be making 2 trips up to SG on Wednesday. First I need to drop off firewood and the truck. I will be up with the bike and tent around 4:00 PM. For sure we can ride Thursday. You coming down early so you can drink some BL with out witnesses? Oh, got any SWAG?

Brian said:
ZG/ZN Kim said:

Yea, I had the same issue at our visitors center. We got a new democratic governor about a year ago. Apparently he needs to have his face on the new highway maps. But he cannot get that done let alone get the roads fixed.
I made copies of a Wisconsin highway map I had, so I have SW Wisconsin covered pretty well

On the plus side weather forecast is looking good.

Reminder; I will have a couple coolers with ice in them at the campground, Wednesday
If there are any last minute requests, better get them in.

Good luck finding WI state maps. Linda and I spent some time of across the border over the Fourth. I stopped at a couple of information areas looking for maps, but there none to be found. I did find a very detailed map of the Driftless area and I have enough for everyone.

Jeff, I hope you can make. 

With regards to the maps, Brian:

Yea, I had the same issue at our visitors center. We got a new democratic governor about a year ago. Apparently he needs to have his face on the new highway maps. But he cannot get that done let alone get the roads fixed.
I made copies of a Wisconsin highway map I had, so I have SW Wisconsin covered pretty well

On the plus side weather forecast is looking good.

Reminder; I will have a couple coolers with ice in them at the campground, Wednesday
If there are any last minute requests, better get them in.

There's a slight chance I'll be there Thursday afternoon. My Grandpa duty might change. I'll know more tonight.

Kim, you may need to allocate two BLs for me. At least I might get some brats.

Good to hear, Jim.
I think Jeff is coming down early so he can gorge himself with brats and BL. So if possible I will try to hide a couple brats and BL's from him, so you can get some too. :beerchug:

I saw 30 packs of the tasty BL are on sale this week.  I will see what I can fit on the bike. Hate to run out.  Give me a list of chores to do, if I get there early.  I am a good worker bee.  I am thinking Thursday would be great for the HOBO challenge.  All 4 routes in a day for 1005 miles.  On second thought, that would be nearly impossible with all the twisties in that area.  I will bring my Wisconsin Delorme Map.  People could take pictures of that with their phones. 

Highs Friday through Sunday, 84,87,87....for now....less rain chance.
So much for cooling off....😁
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.3948&lon=-90.7738
There is also a great site for roads in the area. (Thanks Brian H!)
https://driftlessroadadventures.com/

Tundra Tom said:

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the temps, my bike is a hot beast. If I finish up my project I’ll be there Friday with plenty of bottled water to dump on my nuts enroute. Interesting find: Driftlessbrewing.com has a tap room in town.

My Grandpa duty is back on, so I won't be able to arrive until Friday. Don't worry about saving those Thursday brats and Busch Lights for me. Go ahead and feast upon them with reckless abandon. I'll see everyone Friday afternoon.

Don't worry Jim, I will hide a couple brats under my pillow for you. I am afraid the BL will probably be gone. :)

Minnesota folks, if you get the chance ride through the Mindoro cut, it is much better going south than going north. But still watch out for gravel.

Everybody ride safe

[/quote]

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the temps, my bike is a hot beast. If I finish up my project I’ll be there Friday with plenty of bottled water to dump on my nuts enroute. Interesting find: Driftlessbrewing.com has a tap room in town.
[/quote]

Great find Randy! Tap Room is Open Friday/ Saturday.
https://www.driftlessbrewing.com/
A nice 16 minute walk from the City Park....or a 3 minute ride.

likesbikes said:
Tundra Tom said:

Good to see Randy is gonna try to make it.  I did get a  40 pack of water today, so if he needs a little more  cooling of the  scrotum, we have him covered.

Here is one of the routes electronically

No guarantees

Attachments

• Coulee Route.zip
    129.1 KB · Views: 123
Here's another one.  235 miles.

No Guarantees.

Attachments

• Soldiers Grove Primo Loop.zip
    105.8 KB · Views: 122
I’m mostly loaded up and ready to hit the road Friday morning, should arrive early afternoon to set up camp with time for a little expedition in the surrounding area. It’s gonna be summer in it’s finest.

Kim, Thanks so much for setting this ride up.  I had a great time.  Great food, great people and great riding.  Also, it was a pleasure to meet the Kansas brothers,  thanks for all the great food.  Good times feeling a bit like an outlaw.  Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do. Whatcha gonna do when they come for you.

Thanks to Kim, Scott, Dan, and everyone else for putting this together. I got back to the northern home about a half an hour ago after stopping at Cookies to put on new rear tires on his and my bikes.

Jeff said:
Kim, Thanks so much for setting this ride up.  I had a great time.  Great food, great people and great riding.  Also, it was a pleasure to meet the Kansas brothers,  thanks for all the great food.  Good times feeling a bit like an outlaw.  Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do. Whatcha gonna do when they come for you.

Jeff, we did not encounter anymore "rabid" county truck drivers.

I want to thank everyone who attended. Special shout out to Dan Kierl for bringing an abundant supply of homemade brats. The brat and bean supper Friday night made for interesting camping sounds.

Want to make sure that best wishes  go out to Mohsen Dkhili, who got into a pretty good accident on Saturday(7/13).

Looking forward to GATHERING ON THE GREEN in 2020!!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped put this event on. I'm glad I had a chance to attend. The excellent Wisconsin cuisine (brats, beans, kraut and beer) helped me add a few of the pounds I had lost. In my case, it was a good thing.

Please keep Mohsen in your thoughts and prayers. He is lucky to survive the accident. I was one of four of group who saw it happen. It was a horrible thing to see. It's hard to get the vision of it to stop playing through my mind. I'm fine, but it's going to be a tough recovery for Mo. His use of top quality riding gear is the only reason he is still alive.

ATGATT - Every time, all the time. Don't get in the saddle without quality riding gear. You life does depend on it.

Mo, get well, my friend.

This was a very enjoyable event - we did have an unfortunate event to cap off an otherwise excellent weekend. Thank you Kim for organizing, bringing fire wood, groceries, kitchen items etc to pull off the whole deal, dan - sausages were "primo"

David had great time even tho some dumb a** left his camping gear at home (that would be me) - he shows minimal scarring/trauma from the stories/lies being told around the campfire - dont know if you ever caught him in smile just listening - taking it in. Great to see when we get home he has as many stories to tell as I do about our rides. Good times!

Take aways from the weekend:
1. ATGATT - David will have riding pants soon
2. Medical / Contacts card in your sleeve - would have helped us in this situation
3. Know how to use your tire plug kit - a few of us had mini tech session out of necessity
4. See something say something - those in attendance will get this -nothing further explained

Mohsen - best wishes, see you down the road.

A big THANK YOU to Kim for organizing and going above and beyond to support this event!
It was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones.
The riding was superb as was the food. Baked Cobbler made fresh while Camping, great stuff Scott.
Added bonus was a new Brew Pub in town with real Beer.... :D :beerchug:
A few pictures to follow.
Hoping for a speedy recovery to Mohsen. Always wear all your protective Gear to matter what. Also be hyper observant.
Ride On!