• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Solo RTE @ world-famous Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC

Uncle Vern

I have wanted to eat at this place for years. Was reviewing a route for a planned trip to Santee State Park (see my SC State Parks thread elsewhere) and decided to do a little recon, since Hemingway is (ahem) ontheway. Scott's has been on the BBQ map for decades, attracting national news media and celebrity chefs like the late great Anthony Bourdain. Founded by Ella and the recently-late Roosevelt "Rosie" Scott in the early 1970's, this is a classic dive hole-in-the-wall barbecue joint. Their son Rodney Scott has a restaurant in Charleston and won a James Beard award a few years back. Not sure if he is still involved in the Hemingway operation.

I left Conway on 378 westbound, and turned south onto 51/41 toward Johnsonville, which almost merges with its neighbor to the south, including a "twin cities" church in between. But Johnsonville is in Florence County, with a decent tax base. Hemingway is in Williamsburg County, one of the poorest in the state. This is painfully obvious as soon as you leave 41, turn onto Broad Street/261 toward Scott's, and cross the railroad tracks/city limits. This road was paved with asphalt at some point, but looks as if it has been traversed primarily by tanks and other heavy tracked vehicles in the decades since. At a couple points there are large steel plates covering unrepaired holes in the road. Elsewhere the roadbed is composed primarily of pulverized asphalt, large ruts, mud, potholes, and piles of what would be called pea gravel if it wasn't so jagged. Perhaps tongue-in-cheek, the county refers to this two-lane goat path as "Hemingway Highway." Fortunately, it is only about a mile-and-a-half to Scott's.

The Mecca of whole-hog vinegar-pepper barbecue is situated in an ancient shack mere feet from the "highway." The pits are next door under an old quonset hut. Junk lies about everywhere, along with piles of cut timber. Stray cats roam. Parking, especially for a bike, is extremely squirrelly and gravel-fraught, as the buildings are about two feet lower than the road. Signs at the establishment next door jealously guard their parking with towing threats.

Scott's does not compromise. One hand-scrawled sign pokes fun at those wanting credit; another advises of a dress code that doesn't tolerate drooping pants. I didn't see the one that warns not to come early, but I arrived in the late afternoon. With high-waisted tight-belted pants.

There are a couple picnic tables outside under a metal carport-type structure, and a few more across the "highway." There is no inside dining, no table service. Bottled sodas come out of a cooler off to the side. I saw Bourdain drinking longneck Buds in a video with Rodney, but I didn't see any beer during my visit. (I don't booze and ride anymore, anyway, but you can bet there's gonna be a pork-and-beer pairing back at my house!) You order at one side of a window, pay cash-only and pick up at the other side. You can get the BBQ pork on a sandwich (white bread only), a plate with beans and slaw (while they last), or by the pound, all in styrofoam boxes. Chicken is available until they run out. They are only open Wednesday-Saturday, from opening (9:30 AM) until they close or run out.

They don't compromise on their cooking either. Local hardwood trees are cut, split on-site, and fed into a "burn barrel." a huge metal drum pierced with old truck axles. As the hardwood embers fall into the bottom, they are scooped out with shovels and carried inside to be spread under the cinder-block pits, shoulders and hams only. As the meat slowly smokes and the skin blisters (bbq gourmets prize the skin), a dry rub is sprinkled on, the secret sauce is -literally - mopped onto the split carcasses, and tongs are used to slightly break up the meat and let the sauce seep in. After cooking, the bones are removed and the skin set aside, but the meat is NOT chopped. It is served with more sauce on the side, but large quantities of the secret sauce are pricey. They will cook a whole or half hog for you, and I believe you can also supply the hog yourself.

More notes are sure to follow after I sleep and dream of pigs and fire....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
More notes are sure to follow after I sleep and dream of pigs and fire....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Nice. We should start something simi;lar for NW to nominate their favorite eatery.

But, on your post, I'm not from your area, so vicarious enjoyment here like most others ... any photos or map location you could post?

I will try to post the jump from Google Maps here (wish me luck):

There, that seems to work. Scott's is about a mile-and-half from the intersection of 261 (West Broad St) and 51, the main road thru Hemingway. As noted in my OP, 261 is currently in extreme disrepair, nothing like the smooth pavement seen on Google Maps. More suited to adventure or dirt bikes than a Connie. But it's not far to town and decent pavement. Maybe next trip I'll hike the last leg. I am definitely not going this way on my upcoming trip to Santee State Park!

Slight digression: I am visiting all 47 SC State Parks and Historic Sites aboard Miss Traveller, my 2019 C14.
Here's the link to that ongoing saga:

From Parking-Lot Pig Pickin' to Fancy Steakhouse, It's All The Same To Me

But what about the barbecue, you ask? Ohhhhh, yessssss, the barbecue!!!!

This food brings back lots of memories for this native SC boy. When I was in high school and college, I surfed and worked in Myrtle Beach with some brothers from West Virginia. This local dive biker bar let us drink there; I'm sure they knew we were underage (18 for beer back then). When they moved to a new location, my friends and I would cook a whole hog from time to time on a temporary cinder-block arrangement in their parking lot.

We would drive out to a pig farm near Conway, pick one out, pay the farmer, dispatch the pig humanely with one 22LR bullet to the brain, and toss it in Ronnie's van. Stopping along the way at a biker's house in the woods with an old empty swingset, Ronnie would gut, skin and clean the hog, leaving a "handle" of hide and hair on each hoof, for turning purposes. Back at the bar, we would cook all night and half the morning, drinking free beer (the best kind) all the while. If I had known I was going to end up spending 3 decades cooking for a living, I would have paid more attention to what went on the hog, besides beer. The next day the bikers would all line up for what we call a "pig-pickin' " in these parts. You pay a few bucks, grab a paper plate, and hack off what you want with your Buck knife. We usually had some beans and slaw too. And more beer, of course.

Years later, I worked an enormous wood-fired indoor grill at an upscale steakhouse in North Myrtle Beach. On a giant rotisserie (driven by a motorcycle chain) next to the grill we cooked whole chickens and whole bone-in pork loins over another wood fire, all in full view of the patrons passing by on their way to the dining room. It's quite a show; once I had a guy video me for 45 minutes. A far cry from the biker-bar parking lot, but the pork tasted about the same; it just cost a whole lot more.

Eating Scott's BBQ makes me miss the old biker-bar parking lot (long lost to development, along with the spot on the Intracoastal Waterway where we cleaned the hogs on the swingset). It almost makes me miss that wood-grill job. There is nothing like the flavor of cooking over hardwood, and ONLY hardwood. I still get to cook on an open fire at Civil War events; I wish I was at one right now!

Well, gotta run! I'm in the middle of mounting T-Rex crash bars on the Connie. We're in the middle of a typical SC summer heat-wave right now, but the garage will cool off as the sun drops lower.

Last edited:
BBQ FANS TAKE NOTE
I received a message today from a member in NC interested in planning a RTE to Scott's when the weather warms. Stay tuned to this Bat-channel for possible further developments!!! 🍖🍖🍖:):):)

Sounds like an epic adventure. And now we know who to nominate as pitmaster at the next campout!

Any idea what time they may run out of fixin's on a Saturday? To ride there from Charlotte we may need to leave pretty early in order to guarantee finding food available.

From my previous posting:

You order at one side of a window, pay cash-only and pick up at the other side. You can get the BBQ pork on a sandwich (white bread only), a plate with beans and slaw (while they last), or by the pound, all in styrofoam boxes. Chicken is available until they run out. They are only open Wednesday-Saturday, from opening (9:30 AM) until they close or run out.

I've only been once so far; if you wanna guarantee you gotta get there early!!

Another good low country RTE would be a seafood RTE to SeeWee(?) in Mt. Pleasant SC

Seewee is actually in Awendaw, north of Mt. Pleasant a bit. Never been, but the menu and reviews peg it as mostly-fried seafood with a lot of southern food thrown in. I did see a ribeye and a burger listed, and there were a few other (southern-style) non-swimming options. Funky decor in an old general store, plus outside tables. I might stop in for lunch and pass along a review before I'd think about an RTE.

Sounds like Ron's been there...watcha say, AD?

Seewee is actually in Awendaw, north of Mt. Pleasant a bit. Never been, but the menu and reviews peg it as mostly-fried seafood with a lot of southern food thrown in. I did see a ribeye and a burger listed, and there were a few other (southern-style) non-swimming options. Funky decor in an old general store, plus outside tables. I might stop in for lunch and pass along a review before I'd think about an RTE.

Sounds like Ron's been there...watcha say, AD?

Yep, we camped at the nearby KOA a few years back and visited them for dinner one night. Very authentic looking local place.

I like seafood dives; I don't care if it's all fried. This place has been there forever, and it's in the middle of nowhere. Good sign. I looked for it on my last trip south and it is a lot closer to Mt Pleasant than Awendaw, where the mail comes to it. Will eat there next chance, and report. Please notify me if anyone wants to RTE...

that's around 220 miles down there for me, I'd prefer not to do too much on the interstate so it's a full day out and back. Weather this weekend not looking good for an all day ride naturally.

Got my Laam seat now and first time out did 385 miles as it started to break in, mostly comfortable at the end of the day. Next ride was the other day coming back from Panama City FL where I trailered the bike down, and left the car and trailer at my friend's house down there. Was 525 back and my butt did fine, especially since it was a typical 95/95 day coming back (95 deg and 95% humidity). So looks like I'm finally ready to cover some miles. And also finally ready to go back to work after most of six months off. Now I won't have time to ride that much. My luck sucks !!!