• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sonora Pass opened today, who's up for Sierra Summits scouting trip?

santacruzrider

Throwing this out there in case anyone wants to join or connect along the way.

I'm thinking about making a scouting trip into the Sierra at the end of the month. The plan: ride to a Gold Country town (maybe Angel Camp or Jamestown) late Thursday, May 27. Friday's ride will be up 88 over Kit Carson Pass, then north for clockwise loop around Lake Tahoe, east to check out a hotel in Gardnerville, back up into the mountains to go over Monitor Pass and then south along the eastern Sierra to Bridgeport. Saturday will be a ride to Bodie (I think about 14 miles each way are packed dirt), then back up 395, to Hwy 108 and over Sonora Pass (OPENED TODAY!) and back across the Sierra to return home Saturday.

Anyone interested? Note that is kind of an impromptu trip with the excuse of scouting destinations and hotels for a possible long weekend Sierra Summits trip in the fall. Even with that, the route will take us over 5 passes -- all 7,000-9,600 feet!

If I was not on a family vacation trip I would join you! I will be ready for the group ride later in the summer. Have fun Dan hope the weather cooperates with your adventure!

Plan is coming more into focus and reservations made. Here's my current route for anyone who wants to line up on the corners and wave:

Thursday, May 27: late afternoon ride east on 152 from the coast, cut up to join 49 at Mariposa and north to Jamestown. Room booked at Railtown Motel.
Friday, May 28: NE on 108 over Sonora Pass (2nd highest in Sierra and just opened for the season this week). South on 395 to Bridgeport, then side trip to Bodie Ghost Town (including 10+ miles of gravel/dirt). Return to Bridgeport and north on 395 to Coleville. Room booked at Andruss Motel.
Saturday, May 29: N on 395, west on 89 over Monitor Pass, N on 88 to check out Gardnerville, west on 207 and over Daggett Pass, drop down to Lake Tahoe. Options here, but short route will probably be S on 50 to 89, over Luther Pass to 88 and then W over Carson Pass, back to Gold Country and home.

Plan is coming more into focus and reservations made. Here's my current route for anyone who wants to line up on the corners and wave:

Thursday, May 27: late afternoon ride east on 152 from the coast, cut up to join 49 at Mariposa and north to Jamestown. Room booked at Railtown Motel.
Friday, May 28: NE on 108 over Sonora Pass (2nd highest in Sierra and just opened for the season this week). South on 395 to Bridgeport, then side trip to Bodie Ghost Town (including 10+ miles of gravel/dirt). Return to Bridgeport and north on 395 to Coleville. Room booked at Andruss Motel.
Saturday, May 29: N on 395, west on 89 over Monitor Pass, N on 88 to check out Gardnerville, west on 207 and over Daggett Pass, drop down to Lake Tahoe. Options here, but short route will probably be S on 50 to 89, over Luther Pass to 88 and then W over Carson Pass, back to Gold Country and home.
Now that's a very good road trip! Looking forward to the pictures! Hope someone can join you!

Interesting.
If I read you right, I think you are planning to spend Thurs evening in Jamestown, Fri in Coleville. Sat gets to S. Lake Tahoe; are you planning to stop there, or simply ride back home Sat nite?
What time are you thinking about leaving on Thurs?

I'm planning to play the Thursday departure a bit by ear -- unless I have company riding from the coast. (Where are you coming from?) Latest would probably be taking off from Santa Cruz around 2 p.m. Thursday, which puts me into Jamestown by 6 p.m. But if work allows, I may leave closer to noon and perhaps gets some playtime on 49 by way of Mariposa, and/or get into Jamestown a little earlier.

I was not planning on overnighting in Tahoe and will be heading home on Saturday. It's wife's birthday weekend, so I'm already borrowing trouble by splitting the weekend ;)

But I'm totally open to anyone wanting to join for a day and then make their own trip extension for Saturday or Sunday night. Lots of cool options in the area!

Let me know if you're interested in joining for a few miles and let's see if it works.

Just to make it more interesting, the Sierras got more snow this week and Sonora and Monitor passes have been closed. :eek: Weather report says maybe a bit more snow today, but then clearing and warming the rest of the week.

scrnli_5_21_2021_1-37-10 PM.png

Trip is still on and CalTrans always tries to have these roads open for Memorial Weekend -- so fingers crossed. Regardless, there should be other options and we will get the latest road reports in Jamestown and remain flexible on route. We may end up leading the pack as some of the first riders through when these passes open "for the season." I see a T-shirt in the making.!?!?

This looks like it was a lot of fun! I just got my C14 on the 21st ("What are all these buttons?") but I'm based in Oakland and if you're ever looking to group up feel free to ping me. Glad to see you're getting some riding in on a gorgeous weekend!