• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sore butt - any ideas?

flotsamandjetsam

Hey Everyone,

I have 1998 zg1000, I was given the bike as a project back in March, I finally got it on the road in August and have put about 1000 miles of riding on it. Man my butt get sore/numb after about 60-90 minutes. I have added a sheepskin seat pad from Alaskan Leather, but that hasn't helped as much as I had hoped. (it does let me ride cooler)

I believe that I have a stock seat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also considering some highway pegs to be able to stretch my legs on longer rides. Any suggestions there will be greatly appreciated.

117929137_10207520178038346_2563972147153643153_o.jpg

Hmmm, the stock seats were usually pretty good. If its the original it could be that the foam has just broken down, it is 22 years old. May want to see about getting a 'newer' seat from a 2005-6.

U could see about getting a russell day long seat but $$$.

There was some video on you tube, sjowing how to replace tje worn out foam with dual density foam and even adding a gel insert...

I wound up going thru 3 seats on m my 98 that was purchased new. My issues were my short legs, the reach to the ground on the left side over time caused small tears. Had her til 2014 78k miles when she went to her new owner..

Russell, Corbin, Sargent, Seth Laamb, many, many options, its a matter on how much you want to spend and how long you intend to keep the bike. I have a Russell and a Corbin, 2 differing concepts, go to their sites, look at pics/prices, talk to others, lots of opinions here, lots to learn. Good luck, pretty much everything out there is much better than stock.

1000 miles in 3+ months = 333/month. You need to ride more to get your body tuned into the bike. The stock seat should be fine.
Sargeant in Jacksonville, FL can replace the foam if necessary. Does the bike have risers? They help too.

Hey Everyone,

I have 1998 zg1000, I was given the bike as a project back in March, I finally got it on the road in August and have put about 1000 miles of riding on it. Man my butt get sore/numb after about 60-90 minutes. I have added a sheepskin seat pad from Alaskan Leather, but that hasn't helped as much as I had hoped. (it does let me ride cooler)

I believe that I have a stock seat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also considering some highway pegs to be able to stretch my legs on longer rides. Any suggestions there will be greatly appreciated.

117929137_10207520178038346_2563972147153643153_o.jpg

I used one of these to recover mine . Went right over the existing cover . The little bit of extra foam in the ridges made a pretty big difference in comfort . I had a Russell daylong for awhile but that just felt strange and was way too tall .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601336234069.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601336234069.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 180
I liked the Corbin/Air Hawk cushion combo on my 2000. Just don't overfill the Air Hawk. The Corbin is hard (and holds up to your weight), the Air Hawk keeps the blood moving.

1000 miles in 3+ months = 333/month. You need to ride more to get your body tuned into the bike. The stock seat should be fine.
Sargeant in Jacksonville, FL can replace the foam if necessary. Does the bike have risers? They help too.

I do have handlebar risers installed. They make a big difference.

The Airhawk does work well . The medium cruiser is the size you want . Just use a tiny puff of air in it . Just enough to get you off the seat .
What he said bears repeating. Too much air and you feel like you're riding on an exercise ball and rolling around. It also feels like a rock after about a half hour.

You want only enough that when you sit on the seat, there's like a 1/4 inch separation between the upper surface and the lower surface.

Chris

The AirHawk didn't work for me. Too much air maybe. I felt disconnected and it put my legs to sleep. Almost dropped the bike when I stopped. I now use a Corbin seat with wood beads and my wife has the AirHawk on the passenger seat. She loves it. Our other C-10 has an owner modified seat with extra padding. Don't know what kind it was done by the PO. Ok for both of us.

I am 5'6" 30" inseam so the original seat made me feel like the edges of the seat pan to the inside of my thighs was the contact point. Both my seats are longer and flatter so I can move around more to change the contact areas.

I had a problem with the stock seat on my ’03. Always felt like I needed to slide rearward a couple inches for proper leg position(32 inch inseam). Solved the problem with a stock seat from an ‘86 model and a shorn sheepskin seat cover from Wild Things Fur. The ‘86 seat has almost no butt cup, and allows more fore and aft movement of my butt. Highway pegs on the tip-over bars finish out the lower comfort features. Cotton boxers for the long haul.

Attachments

• 76311414-8372-41D4-9BE5-4C813FAFA535.jpeg
    76311414-8372-41D4-9BE5-4C813FAFA535.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 161