• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

South Central Upcoming Events

fred-houston

COG Membership Officer
Below are some of the upcoming events in the South Central Area.  Go to the COG Calendar of Events to get more details. http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuOptID=13528

Remember guests are always welcome.

If you plan to attend one or more of these events, please register so the Event Leader(s) can get an accurate head count.

9/23/2016 - 9/25/2016:    South Central Area - Arkansas Fall Regional Rally, Mountain View, Arkansas

10/7/2016 - 10/9/2016:    29th Annual Texas Gathering, Kerrville, TX  (NON COG Event)

10/21/2016 - 10/23/2016: Big Bend Mountains Ride the Twisties in Alpine, Texas. 
                                        Many attendees will arrive on Thursday 10/20/16

For more detailed information on the above events, visit the COG South Central Calendar of Events at:
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/Calendar.cfm?clubID=1328

-

Videos from SC Rides may be watched on the following URL:

https://vimeo.com/intp/videos

These are raw videos with no editing so it is just the experience and sound of the rides.

There are Big Bend, Hill Country, and Arkansas Rides posted and more to come!  :motonoises:

Ride Free,

Craig

REMINDER::: The Big bend Ride is coming up; March 19-21, 2015 (Big Bend Ride the Twisties).  Alpine, TX 

Rooms will be released soon!!!
So if your going,, book a room NOW!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Unfortunately, I can't make all of these, but I'll be at 2 or 3.
To those of you that can be at some,,, DO IT!!!
To the New Guys that have never made a COG event.... Here's you chance!!!

Let's show the folks (that volunteered to put them on),, that we wanna ride!  :goodpost:

Ride safe, Ted

I notice that on the rides a skill level is listed. 

I am new to COG and am looking at doing my first ride maybe this summer.  Is there a table that describes the skill levels and what to expect when I show up?  I have only been riding street bikes for about 2 years on a Ninja 250 and the C10 was just acquired 2 weeks ago.  By the time I try my first ride with a group I will have taken a followup MSF riding course and should have logged about 500 miles.

Welcome Rebel Longhorn;
I don't know that "skill level listings" are appropriate.
All rides are done on normal roads.
Only difference is that we try to find roads that are as twisty as possible...

COG always says, Ride your own Ride.
The most important thing is; DO NOT ride over your head!!

As your new to the C-10, do not try to keep up with someone that is riding above your comfort level.
Instead; (before the ride), communicate with the group
    Tell whomever your riding with;
    Your new to the C-10 and will be following.
      (Try to determine the Pace they intent to ride. Some ride leisurely, some push)
    Ask them to have someone wait when they turn or stop.

If you feel you aren't comfortable with the pace, do not just quit (as they will go back to look for you).
                                                                      at the next stop, tell them you are going on your own, and let them go.

Ride safe, Ted

Rebel Longhorn said:
I notice that on the rides a skill level is listed. 

I am new to COG and am looking at doing my first ride maybe this summer.  Is there a table that describes the skill levels and what to expect when I show up?  I have only been riding street bikes for about 2 years on a Ninja 250 and the C10 was just acquired 2 weeks ago.  By the time I try my first ride with a group I will have taken a followup MSF riding course and should have logged about 500 miles.

When I enter an event, I do take the skill level category seriously.  I try to pick the appropriate expected skill level for the area where the event will be held.  There are no set guidelines for this, for me the more curves and hills the more skill level.

This category is only a guidance so do not let that throw you off from attending an event.  There are always some smell the roses type of folks, me being one of them, where you will not have to worry about keeping up with the more spirited riders.  In addition you may be able to pick up a few riding tips.

Like Ted stated, "ride your own ride", when you get that funny feeling in your stomach, and you know it is not from lunch, then it would be best to slow it down.

I have found that COG members are very accommodating, and if they know there is a new (entry level) rider in the bunch they will go out of their way to assist in any way they can.  They will wait at turns and give advice (thought it may not always be good advice  :rotflmao:), but it is always with good intentions.

Just don't be afraid or embarrassed to tell someone you are a new or re-entry rider, we were all there at some point.

Hello again Rebel, I hope I was clear in my previous note.
Was trying to be instructive, but it may have sounded harsh.
If so, my apologies...

Fred said it better than I. COGgers are very accommodating. Particularly for a new rider....
"DO", Come ride with us!!

Ride safe, Ted

Rebel, you won't be alone out there. I have been riding for about 6 months. I'm planning on being at the Arkansas ride and I'm sure there will be lots of people passing me up, but I will have fun regardless. I drive in Houston traffic, but I get very little exposure to twisties. I think it'll be fun just to be out there with other folks and riding some new roads. :great:

10/21/2016 - 10/23/2016: Big Bend Mountains Ride the Twisties in Alpine, Texas.10/21/2016 - 10/23/2016: 

Looks interesting. What kind of event is this? Can I camp it?

JR said:
10/21/2016 - 10/23/2016: Big Bend Mountains Ride the Twisties in Alpine, Texas.10/21/2016 - 10/23/2016: 

Looks interesting. What kind of event is this? Can I camp it?

There's a Lost Alaskan RV Park on the north side of Alpine:

http://www.lostalaskan.com/

mapsite.gif

2401 Texas 118,

Alpine, Texas 79830

Phone: 432-837-1136

Email: info@lostalaskan.com.com

Come join US!!!!!!

You have not lived until you ride THE RIVER ROAD FM 170!

Craig

JR said:
Ok, planning to be there. Will contact Lost Alaskan and make reservation.

That's great!!!! I want to see your new trike and hear about your big trip.

We have a fire pit at the Maverick and it's about a 5 minute ride from the RV park to the Maverick Inn.  :campfire:

Ride free,

Craig

kv5e said:
JR said:

We have a fire pit at the Maverick and it's about a 5 minute ride from the RV park to the Maverick Inn.  :campfire:

Ride free,

Craig

Need a fire master? If nobody normally does it. My fires at Helen alerted NORAD to a missile launch.

If you have one, I'll just bring the Fireball.

Gypsy JR said:
kv5e said:
JR said:

Ride free,

Craig

Need a fire master? If nobody normally does it. My fires at Helen alerted NORAD to a missile launch.

If you have one, I'll just bring the Fireball.

Don't know how you could go wrong with that... :beerchug:

Because I can't make Big Bend nor the Arkansas Rally, I (and Jim) are planning to go to Arkansas for a ride in October.
Not a South Central event, but wanted to post it in case anyone is interested in riding with us?
Tentative plans are Oct 9-13.
Anyone interested?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Because I can't make Big Bend nor the Arkansas Rally, I (and Jim) are planning to go to Arkansas for a ride in October.
Not a South Central event, but wanted to post it in case anyone is interested in riding with us?
Anyone interested?

Ride safe, Ted

Don't have any details yet but we're planning this to be a two or three day ride. As soon as we get a definite route plan I will post
it for anyone who might want to join us along the way. 

Well, because of a new job I may not make Arkansas in September like I had planned and Big Bend is not certain. If I can I would love to join you guys going to Arkansas in October. I have to see how this new job is going to go first. I hate not being able to make plans, but I hate not being able to make money even worse! :mad:

Steveman said:
Well, because of a new job I may not make Arkansas in September like I had planned and Big Bend is not certain. If I can I would love to join you guys going to Arkansas in October. I have to see how this new job is going to go first. I hate not being able to make plans, but I hate not being able to make money even worse! :mad:

Job comes first. There will be 1,000 events in the future, don't worry about it.  :beerchug:

Steveman, best of luck on the new job.
We'll ride together another time if this one doesn't work out.

More details to follow as we work them out.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks guys. I'm a pipefitter with some skill so jobs aren't too hard to find, but once I start my hours may be crazy for a while. I'll get my riding in going to work and back :). If I don't make it I hope you guys have a safe and awesome time.

Just a quick update. I start a new job Monday. Unfortunately it's 6 days a week so I won't be doing much of anything for a while.  :'( Worse than that, my bike was running a little off so I pulled the sparkplugs and oil is leaking down into the wells. I guess I'm going to have to pull the valve covers and if I have to do that I might as well adjust the valves. If I'm doing that it's time for me to send my carbs to SISF for the spa treatment. As long as I'm doing that I'll change all the fluids and it could use a rear tire. I'm figuring I'll be without the bike for a couple of months. :truce: Fortunately I live in Houston and I can ride through the winter. I guess I won't be getting together with you folks until next year though. I guess that's a good reason to reup on my dues.

connie_rider said:
Anyone interested?

Ride safe, Ted

I'm interested...don't know where I'll be living...but, I should be up for some riding... :motonoises:

Jim and I are going to do our Arkansas Ride next week.
Forgot to post info previously as I've been away.

Is anyone interested in joining us?

We're leaving headed that way (from Texas) on Monday.
Will probably return on Friday.

No definite plans on the route.
Just going to ramble...

Ride safe, Ted

I think you hurt my feelings....
  (When I get energetic enough to worry about it, I'll let you know)

Rite now; Time for my nap.

Ted

I may not be able to take a nap but at least I am getting paid to waste half my day here on the forum.  Shhhhhh

Just got my answer.
Jim Snyder is putting on an event on Nov 9-10 in Clinton Arkansas.
Ya'll come ride with us!!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Just got my answer.
Jim Snyder is putting on an event on Nov 9-10 in Clinton Arkansas.
Ya'll come ride with us!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Here are the details.
Ok folks here is an opportunity to get in one more ride before the holidays. The "Final Fall Fling" ride will be held in Clinton Arkansas on November 9th &, 10th. The hotel location is the Best Western Hillside Inn in Clinton. Their number is (501) 745-4700. I have blocked off
5 rooms for the ride but more can be blocked if needed. Rate is around $77/night. Mention you are with the COG group when calling. All of their rooms are ground level so easy parking and access to your bike. So if you didn't get to make Jacks ride or Big Bend join us for this one. Looking forward to some good Arkansas twisties and visiting with friends. 

Not much discussion at "either".
Trying to get the word out that after Big Bend, there is still another event scheduled in South Central..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: We haven't heard from everyone yet that were traveling home.
      I know that Arch and Dan made it home too.
      Check in when ya can or let us know that you've heard from others.

Now that I am back on a Concours...we really need more events in the South Central Area!!!!!
I have never been to an event and would love to meet more like minded folks who love the Concours as much as I do!

concourscharlie said:
Now that I am back on a Concours...we really need more events in the South Central Area!!!!!
I have never been to an event and would love to meet more like minded folks who love the Concours as much as I do!

Yes we do!

There are 2 in Arkansas about 5 - 6 hours from you. 1 in the spring & 1 in the fall. Also a couple in south Texas, spring & fall.

Nothing in Oklahoma, create one!  :)

Cliff,
Being that I have never attended a rally....I wouldn't know where to even start.....much less how to sell anyone on a joyful ride in this barren state!!!!  Unless it is southeastern Ok....which might as well be an Arkansas ride anyway!!!  :mad:

concourscharlie said:
Cliff,
Being that I have never attended a rally....I wouldn't know where to even start.....much less how to sell anyone on a joyful ride in this barren state!!!!  Unless it is southeastern Ok....which might as well be an Arkansas ride anyway!!!  :mad:

You need to fix that not ever being to a rally part. Start by planning to be here May 2 - 5 for HMR#6.

Yes OK is a very baron state. I typically cross it a couple times a year going west at a high rate of speed!  :) Considered trying it with my eyes closed.  :rotflmao:

You can always just plan a RTE. Just pick a place to meet, have a couple hours ride to a lunch spot. Post it on the forum. Visit, meet some people, everybody heads separate ways.

Just Cliff said:
concourscharlie said:
Cliff,

You need to fix that not ever being to a rally part. Start by planning to be here May 2 - 5 for HMR#6.

Yes OK is a very baron state. I typically cross it a couple times a year going west at a high rate of speed!  :) Considered trying it with my eyes closed.  :rotflmao:

You can always just plan a RTE. Just pick a place to meet, have a couple hours ride to a lunch spot. Post it on the forum. Visit, meet some people, everybody heads separate ways.

I would love to do the RTE stuff, but I havent seen anyone on here from my general area, I am sure there are some...maybe,,, 

Timing may be bad for the HMR#6 for me.... 

Charlie, I think we went to Arkansas about 5 times in 2018.
Some were COG events, some were just a group that decided to go.
In all cases, we posted it on the COG Forum and invited others to come with us.

Others also rode Arkansas and occasionally posted that info too.

Just have to be watching the Forum to see when a group is going.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Charlie, I think we went to Arkansas about 5 times in 2018.
Some were COG events, some were just a group that decided to go.
In all cases, we posted it on the COG Forum and invited others to come with us.

Others also rode Arkansas and occasionally posted that info too.

Just have to be watching the Forum to see when a group is going.

Ride safe, Ted

I will be watching :72:!  :)

Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6 returns once again as a 4 day event. May 2nd thru 5th 2019.
Registration includes 6 meals, place to camp, soft drinks, morning coffee & bottled water. Ice & ice chest will also be provided. There will be three dinners and three breakfasts provided - Thursday night dinner will be pizza. This could change if we come up with something better & stay in budget. Friday night will be burgers & dogs with all the trimmings. Saturday night BBQ dinner consisting of pulled pork and chicken along with ever popular four-bean recipe borrowed from NCCOG & Kay Brown’s now famous slaw. Breakfast will be self-serve, stove & utensils provide. Fixings will be provided for omelets & breakfast burritos.
There will also be door prizes & a 50/50 drawing with proceeds going to OTP.
This event is located right in the center of Arkansas and is easy access to all of Arkansas’s best roads. For the dual sport rider’s the Ozark or Ouachita National forest is only 60 miles away. Plenty of room for trucks & trailers if that’s how you travel. RV’s okay also.
Anyone who would be interested in attending, but are not campers, The local hotel is seven (7) miles away.
Hilltop Inn & Suites
124 North Broadview
Greenbrier, AR. 72058
501-679-5100

For exact location address, please contact Cliff once you’ve registered. Cliff’s address can also be looked up in the handbook by members.
Any further questions you can contact Cliff.
Event cost is $40.00 for COG members & $50.00 for non-members.
Dates are May 2 - 5, 2019
Registration deadline is April, 28th. Limited to 60 people.

The 2019 Final Fall Fling #2 ride will take place on October 18,19,20, 2019 in Clinton Ark at the Super 8 by Wyndham hotel. The hotel is located on Hwy 65 in Clinton Ark. Clinton is located right in the center of northern Arkansas with awesome roads in every direction. I have 10 rooms blocked off for COG (more available if needed). The hotel phone number is (501) 209-4358. They gave us a rate of $65/night + tax. Be sure to mention you are with the Concours Owners Group when making a reservation. The hotel is centrally located near restaurants and shopping areas. So lets plan on meeting in Clinton Arkansas in October and enjoying some Arkansas twisties and visiting with our COG family. 

Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #7 is on the South Central event calender for April 23rd thru 26th. This is one of the best camping events on the schedule. For non campers there is a nice motel 7 miles from the rally site. Come join us in North Central Arkansas in April.

Ok gang, the rescheduled Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #7 and the Final Fall Fling #3 are being combined this year. The dates will be October 22 thru 25th in Greenbrier Arkansas at Cliff Burnettes place. This will be a combination camping and motel event. The Hilltop motel in Greenbrier will be the hotel location. We will have more info coming soon but wanted to get the dates out there so folks can plan vacation if needed. We will get it posted on the SC calender in the next month or so as soon as this virus mess is behind us for good. Looking forward to seeing everyone in north central Arkansas in October. Stay tuned for more info.

Wildflower Ride in 2021 is on the calendar so see if you can fit this in your schedule all. I think we all have learned to live with the situation of SARS-CoV-2 and can make this happen. Gov. Abbott has also promised no lock downs and it is likely that the assembly size for events in TX will be large enough for our attendance.

We can ensure extra sanitizer and cleaning wipes are available for all to wipe down rooms when you check in.

We should have some great goodies to give away to attendees.

OK plans for the SC Final Fall Fling 3 are in the works. Dates will be Oct 7, 8, 9 in Clinton Arkansas. I will be getting hotel details in the next week or two and will get it posted on the calendar. Contact me or Ted for more details.

OK plans for the SC Final Fall Fling 3 are in the works. Dates will be Oct 7, 8, 9 in Clinton Arkansas. I will be getting hotel details in the next week or two and will get it posted on the calendar. Contact me or Ted for more details.
Will there be any camping options with this event?

NOTE: This is NOT the annual Horseshoe Mountain Rally {with camping at Cliff's}.
This rally will be in Clinton Arkansas.
{Clinton is approx. 30 minutes from Cliff's home on Hwy. 65}.

Jim "has" found a camp site that is just a few minutes from the Motel we will be using.
We haven't seen it, but he called and talked with them.
Should be ideal if some want to camp.

Jim is working on the Hotel arrangements now.
{We stayed at this Motel last month, and tentatively arranged this Rally for another weekend in October.
BUT, {because of scheduling issues} we're adjusting the dates to Oct 8-10}

More later.
Ride safe, Ted

Where is this campground? There is a RV park down the road across from the hospital, but I don't of a campground nearby suitable for tent camping. Then again, I don't know much!
It's the Choctaw Park camping area. I spoke with the owners and they have tent and RV spots. Its right down Hwy 95, 5 minutes from the Super 8.

Not a recent camper so not familiar with doing Park arrangements.
Guy I talked to sed; Go to Recreation/gov to do the reservation's. {Below}
Price for site; with electric $20 and w/o electric $16.
Can put up to 8 people at one site, but only 2 vehicles.
But, it appears that (because of motorcycles being parked) we can have 2-4 tents in one site?
Suggested; D sites for lake view {but may be cooler as near lake}
B Sites are near entrance and have more wind protection/warmer.
I looked and lots of sites are currently available.

Choctaw Park Camping / Reservations;

More info;

Map; (Super 8 Motel area near Walmart to Camping area) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wal...9!2m2!1d-92.3793125!2d35.5330208!3e0?hl=en-US

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I'm hoping in the not so distant future I can ride down and check this campground out.
I haven't been through this park in several years, but it had always been a nice campground. I'm sure it still is, I'll have to take a ride through it in the near future. They have sites right on the water which is always nice.

If anyone is interested in camping for the FFF3 ride in October, please let me know so I know how many camping spots to reserve.

If anyone is interested in camping for the FFF3 ride in October, please let me know so I know how many camping spots to reserve.
Jim, I plan on camping, unless I end up being the only camper, then I would consider sharing a room. HTH

Dale

Looks like the weather is going to be spectacular fellas! I’m sad I cannot join y’all on this one, so close to home. 😕

Only 520 miles +/- and 8 hours 20 mins of “speed limit” riding to get there is basically in my backyard. Hopefully in the spring I’ll be ready.

Send pics and vids if possible! Play safe and save some for the ride home! 😉🤙

1633691599023.png

Last edited:
Just throwing this out to the void. I will be getting back in the saddle after couple years layoff. Recently semi-retired. So looking to
find riders near the Woodlands Texas area who might want to meet up in the near future for a ride and brunch-lunch. Depending response might create separate thread for better comms. Have a safe day

I just moved out to the Cut-and Shoot area. (East of Conroe)
Not sure when I'll have time for a ride as we're still moving in, but future riding would be ok by me.
Planning to go to the Arkansas Ride (Horseshoe Mountain) on the 19th.

Ride safe, Ted

I just moved out to the Cut-and Shoot area. (East of Conroe)
Not sure when I'll have time for a ride as we're still moving in, but future riding would be ok by me.
Planning to go to the Arkansas Ride (Horseshoe Mountain) on the 19th.

Ride safe, Ted
I usually ride through CnS on way to Nacogdocnes. Will let ya know next time J ride through

Hey Ted. Casey here. New/former member. I'm over here in Conroe off Creighton road just north of Trinity river. Let's go for a ride!

Just throwing this out to the void. I will be getting back in the saddle after couple years layoff. Recently semi-retired. So looking to
find riders near the Woodlands Texas area who might want to meet up in the near future for a ride and brunch-lunch. Depending response might create separate thread for better comms. Have a safe day
Haha same here on semi-retired. This is Casey and I'm in Conroe. Let's get together and head up to meet Ted. Go ride up in the forest.

Let's do it!
But, {sadly} you'll have to ride down FM-1484 to find my house.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
thSorry havent been online in a while. Troubleshooting an idling issue might be jets or maybe choke adjustment. Will keep yall posted. As soon as I get her running right will let yall know. thx