• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spark plug removal - help

Bagger John

Have a 3/8dr, 5/8 6pt plug socket that got #1, 2 and 4 loose on my 2012 without issue.

#3 is a different matter altogether. Neither that socket, another 3/8dr 6pt deep well or the Kawi plug tool will go into the plug well far enough to allow the tool to slip over the flats. I checked the plug well with an inspection mirror and see nothing in the well or on the plug which could cause interference.

Ideas?

Plot twist:

One of the valve cover rubbers had somehow slipped down into the well, unbeknownst to me. Made a tool, extracted it. Onward we go.
There you go - good catch.

BTW - before pulling any plugs I ALWAYS blow out the wells and get a mirror in there. Found a screw in a well once before that did not evacuate with the air - could have been ‘screwed’ if just wrenched out the plug and then wondered what was that plink sound.

Who last put the valve cover on, do you know?

John Hi - just realized, believe you are doing a valve check.

Make certain to address that spark plug hole seal - will need to at a minimum loosen the cover and push in place, I suggest removing head cover to repair properly. Sick to get machine fully back together and have a nasty oil leak.

John Hi - just realized, believe you are doing a valve check.

Make certain to address that spark plug hole seal - will need to at a minimum loosen the cover and push in place, I suggest removing head cover to repair properly. Sick to get machine fully back together and have a nasty oil leak.
All the seals are getting replaced - plug well, cam sensors, etc. All rubber parts in that area which hold oil in. Yesterday I went over the entire head with cleaning gear and an air hose, blowing anything (no matter how small) out of the assembly. There's a section of towel stuffed in the cam chain area to prevent garbage from migrating into the crankcase.

Now just waiting on shims.

Ok - so this was disassembly from previous valve job or factory.

I was interpreting you caught this after you installed the head cover. Surprised you did not have an oil leak there. Not under pressure at the wells but still there’s oil bathing.

Is this the first valve inspection on this machine? If not whomever assembled previous, or if factory, got lucky to not have stuck you with a leaker.

Is this the first valve inspection on this machine? If not whomever assembled previous, or if factory, got lucky to not have stuck you with a leaker.
On this particular machine, yes. First time being disassembled. I'm usually VERY careful about maintaining inventory of things like dowels, spacers, seals, etc. that come off something as I'm taking it apart. If I re-count the valve cover seals and come up with 8 instead of 7...yeah, something screwy about that one.

I looked at all the seals. Found 6 (including the seal removed from the plug well) and IIRC threw at least one away along with the spark plug well seals.

The funny thing...every one BUT the seal which was in the plug well had oil on it. That one was completely dry.

Things that make you go hmmm.

The removal tool I made was a 6" piece of stainless steel rod from a whip antenna, sharpened to a fine point with a coarse grit grinding wheel. This gave the point enough "tooth" to grab onto the seal when it engaged the rubber. Worked fine.

I looked at all the seals. Found 6 (including the seal removed from the plug well) and IIRC threw at least one away along with the spark plug well seals.

The funny thing...every one BUT the seal which was in the plug well had oil on it. That one was completely dry.

Things that make you go hmmm.

The removal tool I made was a 6" piece of stainless steel rod from a whip antenna, sharpened to a fine point with a coarse grit grinding wheel. This gave the point enough "tooth" to grab onto the seal when it engaged the rubber. Worked fine.
And this was a factory machine you bought new? This would be a stunning error to have these gaskets that far off, guessing a touchdown and re-lift of the head cover and all the gaskets moved. Much surprised.

Now you’ll know what to look for on assembly for this one…

And this was a factory machine you bought new? This would be a stunning error to have these gaskets that far off, guessing a touchdown and re-lift of the head cover and all the gaskets moved. Much surprised.

Now you’ll know what to look for on assembly for this one…
Yes. Original owner.

The only thing I can think of is when the valve cover was being put in place at the factory, a valve cover seal was inadvertently dropped into the #3 plug well and over the plug insulator. When the stick coil was pushed down over the plug it seated the seal at the bottom of the insulator.

Might have been on a Monday, or Friday afternoon where the assemblers weren't quite paying attention. I've put these back together before and am careful to get things in place, lined up and tightened correctly.

Those valve cover bolt seals can get lodged onto a spark plug tower if they fall into a spark plug well and they can be a real bear to get out. It only happened to me once, and I learned to be REAL careful with those seals when removing the valve cover bolts as a result.