• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speed TV - no F1, no WSBK, no BSBK

jimp

Sport Tourer
What is going on with Speed TV? No coverage of the F1 series, WSBK series, BSBK series, World Rally series, Dave Despain reduced from an hour to 30 minutes....  The only thing left is MotoGP, Nascar, stupid shows and paid advertising programs!

Lack of F1 coverage is due to Eccolstone and Tata Communication wanting too much money for TV rights, but what's the story with the others?

This sucks as most web casts of these races are not available in the US.

JPavlis_CA said:
gPink said:

Yeah, I know... not in my DircTV package. Ain't going to spend more to get it. beIN Sport was willing to pay more for the rights than Speed.

That's pretty much where I'm at, as well- TW wants me to pay for another sports package of channels that's 90% international soccer games- and I'm not a fan.  But I think it also includes the Sportsman's Channel, which has a pretty good lineup of outdoor programming, so I'm wavering...  :(

I believe Fox owns Speed and is planning on changing the channel to a baseball only one.  This came up when it was announced that F1 would be moving to NBC (I'm an F1 fan).

scottphill said:
I believe Fox owns Speed and is planning on changing the channel to a baseball only one.  This came up when it was announced that F1 would be moving to NBC (I'm an F1 fan).

Just watched the Aussie GP last night (@ 2 AM) on the NBC Sports Network.  I'm a huge open-wheel fan (grew up in Indiana idolizing Foyt, Mears, etc.), but let's face it, it's a NASCAR world these days.  One thing on my bucket list is to spit on Tony George's grave when he's gone (hopefully before I am) for what he did to open-wheel racing in this country.

Used to really enjoy Speed, but they're going downhill fast...thanks, Fox.  At least I still have Velocity for a bit of gearhead entertainment.

Luv my motorsports but co-owned by Al Jazeera. Sorry, Can't support it. Guess I'll go old school and read about it in Cycle News.

I'm a F1 fan largely for the Technology and formula and then for the racing/strategy.

Friends of mine tell me Nascar has the same elements.....but I just don't see it when I try.

Go Webber!!!!

txfatboy said:
Speed channel is going away. It will soon be an all sports channel, ESPN wanna-be.

Well, that just sucks.  With about a thousand channels, you'd think there'd be room for one or two about racing/motorsports.  :-[ :character0029: :c002:

krumgrinder said:
txfatboy said:
Speed channel is going away. It will soon be an all sports channel, ESPN wanna-be.

Well, that just sucks.  With about a thousand channels, you'd think there'd be room for one or two about racing/motorsports.  :-[ :character0029: :c002:

There are, you just need more than Expanded Basic Cable to get them.

If I didn't have 7 TVs I would SOOOOOO be going to satellite.

IIRC the change over date is the middle of August this year. It will be called Fox Sports 1. Focus will be stick and ball sports. It was fun while it lasted.......

RIP Speed.....  :'(

According to The New York Times, Fox Sports 1 plans to carry NASCAR races, MLB games, college basketball and football games, soccer matches, and UFC fights.

I guess I can cross this off my channel-surfing list come 8/1.

:-[

the AMA doesnt do itself any favors either with their schedule.  they have Daytona last weekend, then they dont run the next leg until TWO AND A HALF MONTHS later!!!  in the mean time, WSB and MGP have 4 race weekends a piece, flying from continent to continent.  Where the AMA boys really could just drive from track to track. 

Hopefully NBC Sports network or someone of that stature will pick up the rest of the AMA schedule and broadcast it.

The AMA could try running Superbikes in the Daytona 200 instead of the 600's.  There would be more interest from the older generation of fans, you know, the ones with disposable income to spend on all the crap that's advertised on TV.

We have the same problems this side of the Pond.
BSB, WSB and MotoGP are currently all shown on EuroSport which is included in my satellite package.
I also get Sky Sports F1 included.

Next year, MotoGP has been bought by BT Sport which I don't get and will cost me $20 per month extra.
So, they can **** off. No way am I paying $20 a month just for MotoGP. No I don't care about the Tennis/Golf/Soccer that they will also carry.
Looks like lots of others are thinking the same.
MotoGP will soon change their minds when BT drops them after the 1st year of pathetic viewing figures.
They will have to as the advertisers will be wasting their money.

Is it me or is PayTV getting stupid as they seem to be driving their customers away all over the world.
If it wasn't for Ella's favourite shows I would tell Sky to shove their whole package and go back to plain old broadcast Digital TV, or maybe FreeSat.
They already charge me $60 per month and for that I watch TopGear (also available on free-to-air TV), Fast & Loud, Mythbusters and a few other documentaries & science programmes. I am so tempted to go with an internet TV and the free-to-air stuff.