• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spoilers.....for the record.

gnuse said:
I am going to state that I truly dislike Subject lines that are spoilers.

Opinion noted, and generally agree.  However, it's not really realistic to expect the rest of the world to not discuss something that has happened, that you or I did not happen to catch yet.  Now, was there a particular topic that was bothering you, or just letting off some steam?  Not sure I'm seeing any recent ones that give anything away, at least not lately...  :017:

I am usually very careful where I wander prior to watching certain sports events.

Twice I have been caught out on this board when I select "Show unread posts since last visit".

I just thought I would mention it to find out how this group feels about it. It is not too hard for a poster to make their point with spoiling a result for others. I guess that is a risk in our asynchronous media world though.

krumgrinder said:
gnuse said:
I am going to state that I truly dislike Subject lines that are spoilers.

Opinion noted, and generally agree.  However, it's not really realistic to expect the rest of the world to not discuss something that has happened, that you or I did not happen to catch yet.  Now, was there a particular topic that was bothering you, or just letting off some steam?  Not sure I'm seeing any recent ones that give anything away, at least not lately...  :017:

Maybe gnuse is referring to my posting "Vettle sets another record". Although I do agree to a point with not reveling race results in the title if possible. If this post on breaking the record in qualifying is what he's referring to. Then I do not agree. IMO, qualifying results are totally different than the actual race results. I personally do not know anyone who records qualifying to watch later. But it could be so. Although as also all ready stated. You can't expect folks to refrain from having discussions, solely for folks who haven't watched the taped event. So I also see nothing that would fall into this dilemma recently.
Now on another note. The title of "Spoilers.....for the record." This is very vague. It really doesn't explain what he is referring to. Then to follow up with the total body of the post of: "I am going to state that I truly dislike Subject lines that are spoilers." IMO, again very vague. I'm guessing that gnuse was referring to racing results. But then in this last post he mentions it as certain sporting events. Again very vague. I'm was tempted to just move it to the "say anything" section, since it does not ever refer to racing in general or give an example at any time. For all I know it might have been about golf! I'm hoping it's about racing since this is the racing section. ;)
Don't get me wrong. I do understand what is trying to be conveyed here by gnuse. But being so vague doesn't help people to understand what is the actual message your trying to get across. Of course this is just my opinion. 

I think we can all agree, in these days of time-shifted viewing, dvr's, 24/7 news media and the like to be at least a bit circumspect in our subject lines or add a *spoiler alert* of some sort- in the same vein as a 'NSFW' warning- before letting the cat out of the bag on any recent event.  But also, not to be too unrealistic about disclosure, especially as an inverse of the time past...    :beerchug:

IMHO the subject of my post was very specific and to the point. I made a statement about how I felt.

If you want to discuss specifics, I can do that.

Cap'n Bob said he doesn't know anyone that records qualifying. I know many and by that I mean I personally know of more than 1000 people that do. I am probably unique in that respect. I personally don't watch much golf but I have driven Formula One cars, so my perspective is probably skewed towards that sport. I also follow BSB, MotoGP, Dakar, etc.  I can go on, but that wasn't the reason for my post.

I was just hoping that someone would offer a way to help me avoid this happening without avoiding the site or the resource that allows you to find recent posts. I am new to this site and wanted help not confrontation.

I suspect most may not realize the problem since this forum is not racing or sports specific.  Sounds like the section moderator may need to set some guidelines. 
:)

gnuse said:
IMHO the subject of my post was very specific and to the point. I made a statement about how I felt.

If you want to discuss specifics, I can do that.

Cap'n Bob said he doesn't know anyone that records qualifying. I know many and by that I mean I personally know of more than 1000 people that do. I am probably unique in that respect. I personally don't watch much golf but I have driven Formula One cars, so my perspective is probably skewed towards that sport. I also follow BSB, MotoGP, Dakar, etc.  I can go on, but that wasn't the reason for my post.

I was just hoping that someone would offer a way to help me avoid this happening without avoiding the site or the resource that allows you to find recent posts. I am new to this site and wanted help not confrontation.

Now you should have posted something like this the first time. It was much more precise in what your thoughts and feeling were. And it does make it easier for folks in the future to try to be more careful in all aspects to help you navigate the forum. Also with less fear of knowing the outcome of racing events, both qualifying and race results. Since you conveyed that you and your 1,000 acquaintances do watch taped qualifying. I personally will try to keep that in mind for future threads. 
Now just to point out, there is no confrontation about this, even if you think there was. Just folks trying to get the proper information to try and accommodate the request of a new forum member. IMO, there would have been a lot less confusion and it would have also seemed a lot less confrontational to you, had you made your original post more informative as this last one. Much better,and all is good!  ;)

S Smith said:
I suspect most may not realize the problem since this forum is not racing or sports specific.  Sounds like the section moderator may need to set some guidelines. 
:)
S Smith...... I agree and realize that. It came as a surprise to me and I will be very careful to avoid this in the future.

Cap'n Bob......thanks for answering. I was being overly cautious because I feel like I am a guest. The internet often causes confusion and misunderstanding. As I am likely one of the few that might care about racing, I will stay aware from the forum until I am caught up on my race viewing.  8)

gnuse said:
Cap'n Bob......thanks for answering. I was being overly cautious because I feel like I am a guest. The internet often causes confusion and misunderstanding. As I am likely one of the few that might care about racing, I will stay aware from the forum until I am caught up on my race viewing.  8)

Well, you shouldn't feel like a guest anymore.  ;D  I'm trying to get this racing subforum rolling as neither of the two main Concours forums has ever had one (at least to my knowledge), and I need all the interested parties I can recruit.  So don't be a stranger, join in!

krumgrinder said:
gnuse said:

Well, you shouldn't feel like a guest anymore.  ;D  I'm trying to get this racing subforum rolling as neither of the two main Concours forums has ever had one (at least to my knowledge), and I need all the interested parties I can recruit.  So don't be a stranger, join in!

I agree... Join in and help Steve give shape to this racing section.