• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spotwalla track for Wildflower

Fred H.

Ok, I'm gonna give this newfangled Iphone a try and see if I can get this to work.  I gave up on my Spot Tracker last year when they wanted $200 to renew the service.

So now I have Google Lattitude loaded on my Iphone. This link should let you track me over the weekend (if I can get decent cell coverage). It won't show anything until I leave tomorrow morning, but you should be able to start picking me up by 8am or so (assuming I can get the wife moving and ready to go on time).

Here is the link. We'll see how this works...

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=44f44f87929046868

Well, it sort of worked, though I'm pretty disappointed in the low amount of breadcrumbs it dropped. It didn't get a single one in the three sisters. I guess the lack of cell phone service down in that area makes it pretty much useless in the Hill Country.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Well, it sort of worked, though I'm pretty disappointed in the low amount of breadcrumbs it dropped. It didn't get a single one in the three sisters. I guess the lack of cell phone service down in that area makes it pretty much useless in the Hill Country.

This was also my experience with Google Latitude on my Blackberry.  But I never did get a cell signal at the hotel so I guess I can't blame Latitude.  It was a real pleasure talking to you, Fred (and others!), and I appreciate your advice about my ailing C10.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
So how did you upload the track to Spotwalla?

You set up an account and assign a device, then you just activate Google Lattitude, and it does live tracking. I never had to upload anything manually.

I've been communicating with Jason at SpotWalla and he is working on an app that will save track breadcrumbs to a file on the phone when the phone is out of cell tower range, and then upload them all the next time it is able to communicate with a tower. This should help fill in the gaps for those areas that have poor cell coverage, but it won't be able to update until the next time it communicates with a tower. He is working on apps for both Android and Iphone. Don't have a release date yet though. Stay tuned...