• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spring Fling 2023 South of the Mason Dixon Line - May 18-21

WV would be my guess also. But where in WV, so many good locations. Plus Jason want us to keep guessing so he can claim his free beer.

Anyone have any routes that they want to share coming out of Cumberland? I'd like to see something heading east into Winchester Va. for a day run..
jason

this is a must try too!
jason

Steve, I highly recommend a stop in Springs Pa and the Springs Museum and Farmers Market on Saturday morning.

jason

Springs Museum was in the POI list, but it's in a route now.
Folks should mention other good Points of Interest to include.

Here are the example routes being worked on and near completion...

Cumberland 2023 Spring Fling Routes.png

Does the furthest run south into West Virginia go far enough into the deep part of the South? That riding is great. Hope to be there!
how far south do you want to go?
The route above goes to Seneca Rocks. You could keep going south............comes down to how many hours do you want to be on the road?
jason

True on how many hours you need to be on the bike. I was thinking the Hawks nest or the gauley bridge area. But it is a long haul like you say.

True on how many hours you need to be on the bike. I was thinking the Hawks nest or the gauley bridge area. But it is a long haul like you say.
Please withdraw my registration name as something else more important has come up on that date for me. Sorry I couldn't catch up with you fellow riders I will try again someday.

Looking forward to it. Great riding in that area. A tip is coming.....when making your reservation, don't listen to any of the confusing automated menu prompts. Press zero and it takes you right to the front desk where they can take the COG group reservation.

Registered.

Going to use this as a jumping off point to ride the PA BDR-X (https://ridebdr.com/pawilds/), basically a 500 mile loop on forrest service roads.
I was looking at an event in the PAwilds the same weekend as well. Might be a reason to trailer and bring the dual sport too. I always thought adventure bikes had too many compromises but they are definitely more convenient for doing multiple terrains on one trip.

Looking forward to it. Great riding in that area. A tip is coming.....when making your reservation, don't listen to any of the confusing automated menu prompts. Press zero and it takes you right to the front desk where they can take the COG group reservation.
or use the online link on the event page..............
j

I had no troubles using the provided link to make online reservation

Folks for anyone looking for less expensive accommodation.........
There is a Ramada within walking distance Rally Central.
After reading the reviews I would stay there myself, but didn't feel comfortable booking it for the whole group.
You decide for yourself.
BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
Jason

A few things I've mapped to check out:
Shepherds Farm - food
Mt Davis - Highest Point in PA
Bollman Covered Bridge
Burkholder Covered Bridge
Foley Overlook
Kings Covered Bridge
Lower Humbert Covered Bridge
Packsaddle Covered Bridge

Made a 175 mile loop covering them.

IMG_8330.jpeg

A few things I've mapped to check out:
Shepherds Farm - food
Mt Davis - Highest Point in PA
Bollman Covered Bridge
Burkholder Covered Bridge
Foley Overlook
Kings Covered Bridge
Lower Humbert Covered Bridge
Packsaddle Covered Bridge

Made a 175 mile loop covering them.

View attachment 35208
Rodger this looks like a great loop!
I believe the Shepards Farm is out of business.........
jason

this is a must do while in Cumberland.
jason
We went across that a few years ago when we did the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route, pretty neat.

We ate at the School House Kitchen for breakfast. Yes, it's an actual school cafeteria, not sure I could actually recommend it in good conscience but it was kinda a hoot to eat there and was super cheap.

Hostess, chef, dishwasher, waitress, and cashier looked like my actual 1st grade teacher from 1974, and she was deaf as a POST and SUPER NICE.

IMG_5962.jpeg

Last edited:
Friends, there are only 5 rooms remaining in our block at the Fairfield Inn.............
The Motel will not gaurantee additional rooms will be available at the same rate one they are gone.
If you're on "the Fence" I'd book that room soon!
Jason

Hotel booked and registration made.
1. The online link didn't work. It said "We’re temporarily unable to display the information you requested.Please try again later." under a map of the location. I called the number, used Steve Rutter's suggestion of hitting "0" and spoke with JC (yep!) to get my room squared away.
2. I wasn't able to register Maryann at the same time (not sure if this is a bug or a feature). I made her do her own! :cool:

I'm thinking of stopping at Bills Old Bike Barn in Bloomsburg Pa on the way down from NJ. Or maybe on the way home. Looks like an interesting place.

I'm thinking of stopping at Bills Old Bike Barn in Bloomsburg Pa on the way down from NJ. Or maybe on the way home. Looks like an interesting place.
Bill's is a neat place! Lots of STUFF........allow at least an hour if not more as there is a lot to look at.
jason

UPDATE 04/0523
Our Block of roooms at the Fairfield has been sold out.................
If you're still thinking about coming remember there is a Ramada within walking distance of the Fairfield and many other choices just a few miles away in LaVale, Md.
Jason

we live two traffic lights from HQ. great breakfast in Fort Ashby at Wilmas. There is also a new brewpub across the parking lot from the Fairfield. I havent tried it yet.

we live two traffic lights from HQ. great breakfast in Fort Ashby at Wilmas. There is also a new brewpub across the parking lot from the Fairfield. I havent tried it yet.
another good stop is the RT28 Bar & Grill. South of Cumberland but North of Ft. Ashby if I remember correctly.
jason

UPDATE 04/0523
Our Block of roooms at the Fairfield has been sold out.................
If you're still thinking about coming remember there is a Ramada within walking distance of the Fairfield and many other choices just a few miles away in LaVale, Md.
Jason

So I found out.

After hesitating about seriously considering attending the Spring Fling in Cumberland, MD, I asked my wife about my trying to attend earlier today….. citing my concerns regarding her medical issues. Even tho' she's made some remarkable improvement; I was still concerned. Without hesitation, she told me to go since she feels she has her bases covered. I wasn’t about to argue. After 40+ years in this relationship, it'd be a losing battle.

Called the rally central motel (Fairfield) to see about reservations. After eventually deciphering what the obvious foreigner was trying to tell me, turns out that the COG block of rooms was already booked. Normal room (which were still available) for 3 days would put the total well over over $700. Since he wouldn’t extend that COG block to regular rooms, I went ahead and booked a room with full intentions of cancelling once I made other arrangements.

I looked around and found rooms at the suggested Ramada several blocks away for about ½ the price of the Fairfield. First time I’ve ever had to go to an alternate, but it is what it is – however – the COG site only shows 34 people are registered for the rally as of 6:15 this evening. Which has me asking: How many rooms were originally blocked at the Fairfield for the rally? I’m getting the impression that the number was woefully underestimated, or rooms were simply not available at the time the block reservation was made.

I'll leave it at that...............

Last edited:
Regarding the above..... it's obvious that missed Jason's earlier post about all the blocked rooms being booked at the Fairfield. Guess I should have asked my wife a little earlier. Regardless, I did cancel my 3-day, $700+ reservation earlier today. The Indian-speaking fella that took my reservation yesterday screwed up my name, and my email address, so they had trouble finding that reservation today. Fortunately, he did give me the correct confirmation number and that's how they eventually found it.

So, we're good and looking forward to attending. This will be my first multi-day outing for anything in a very long time.

another good stop is the RT28 Bar & Grill. South of Cumberland but North of Ft. Ashby if I remember correctly.
jason
we got 4 decent feed places in Fort Ashby proper now- Wilmas,, That Place, The Corner Bistro and Evans Dairy Dip which just re-opened for the season. Hummingbird Cafe is across from the fire hall and has good breakfasts and baked goods but weird operating hours. 28 B&G is towards the bottom of the group

We went across that a few years ago when we did the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route, pretty neat.

We ate at the School House Kitchen for breakfast. Yes, it's an actual school cafeteria, not sure I could actually recommend it in good conscience but it was kinda a hoot to eat there and was super cheap.

Hostess, chef, dishwasher, waitress, and cashier looked like my actual 1st grade teacher from 1974, and she was deaf as a POST and SUPER NICE.

View attachment 35222
Old Town toll bridge across the Potomac. Surprised that thing is still hanging on.

I'm thinking these will be my dinner spots .
jason

FYI, WV/WA-127 is brand new pavement end-to-end. Made for a great ride after cruising the Springfield Turnpike over to Rte29

I'm thinking these will be my dinner spots .
jason

Looks like there's several interesting eateries in that general Historic area. I don't think we'll starve while we're there.

Where is 127? I know I've been on it?
Who's got rides planned? Gonna share?
jason
127 runs from Rte. 522 (about 16 miles north of Winchester), west to Bloomery Bridge where you can pick up Rte. 29 to head up towards Paw Paw. It's the route I usually take (when on a bike) when heading up to Cumberland to hit I-68. The routes that way were too "adventurous" for my wife.

FWIW- It's the route I'll be taking when headed up that way with Clyde.

Last edited:
Where is 127? I know I've been on it?
Who's got rides planned? Gonna share?
jason
i sent you an email about doing a few "local route" rides but never heard back.
as Guy said, 127 connects 29 to 522 but more importantly, it's the eastward trek once you leave the Springfield Turnpike which runs from Springfield to Slanesville along two rivers and over a couple of mountains. the road is a hoot and a half even in my truck.

127 runs from Rte. 522 (about 16 miles north of Winchester), west to Bloomery Bridge where you can pick up Rte. 29 to head up towards Paw Paw. It's the route I usually take (when on a bike) when heading up to Cumberland to hit I-68. The routes that way were too "adventurous" for my wife.

FWIW- It's the route I'll be taking when headed up that way with Clyde.
you two will be going right by the house if you want to swing by. we're just off 28 in Fort Ashby

Tentatively I am planning on taking a Ride south to Seneca Rocks Wv. on Friday and north to Hesston Pa. for BBQ
on Saturday.
I'll take 3 or 4 bikes with me.
jason

Tentatively I am planning on taking a Ride south to Seneca Rocks Wv. on Friday and north to Hesston Pa. for BBQ
on Saturday.
jason
good Q place in Romney- Lost Mtn Smokers, next to the Subway on 50

on Saturday.
jason
Hesston via Route 26 is a fantastic ride. Route 26 is Greg Puterbaugh's favorite road, and that guys knows roads...

just in case you hadn't heard, they had 20 inches of snow near Mt Storm, WV last week. set a record for May

Cumberland Md. Elevation 627'
Mt. Storm, Wv. Elevation 3244'
48 miles between them.
I think we'll be OK.
jason

Cumberland Md. Elevation 627'
Mt. Storm, Wv. Elevation 3244'
48 miles between them.
I think we'll be OK.
jason
it didnt snow here at all. a few miles southwest of Keyser they got a couple of inches. just dont be surprised if we see snow in the shadows and drainage ditches when we're out and about.

Last edited:
Tentatively I am planning on taking a Ride south to Seneca Rocks Wv. on Friday…..
jason
Seneca Rocks beautiful, especially early year with blooms.

Attachments

• 3863EC87-A95E-45EE-AE02-AB0BEF8F243E.jpeg
    3863EC87-A95E-45EE-AE02-AB0BEF8F243E.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 524FCB29-50CE-4649-A2CA-78B0FC87922B.jpeg
    524FCB29-50CE-4649-A2CA-78B0FC87922B.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 46
  • A8C126FD-307C-43A5-89E2-3B1A180C9C92.jpeg
    A8C126FD-307C-43A5-89E2-3B1A180C9C92.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 49
You guys know where the Mason Dixon line is right? MD is way north of the Mason Dixon. By about 800miles

Not according to this....

Mason-and-Dixon-Line.jpg

I can confirm this. I live 8 miles north of Maryland in PA, and many of the businesses have some reference to Mason Dixon Line like the Mason Dixon family restaurant..

You were remembering when just Dixon drew that line. It was called the Moonshine Dixon line. Mason came along and sobered him up. :giggle:

just got the SF reminder email; so when will registration open on 5/18?

Check-in times is up in the air until the hosts arrive, settle in, and see where the hotel lets us set up.
The hope is to be available THU late afternoon and evening and while we are hangsing around at night. Maybe FRI morning too... or whenever you can catch me to sign-in. Expect it to be loosey-goosey.

Well, my reputation lately seems to precede me, my shining countenance will be at Cumberland for all to enjoy, endure and comment on as I just found out I can make it this weekend, I'm arriving Wednesday to have an extra day to ride. :)

Well, my reputation lately seems to precede me, my shining countenance will be at Cumberland for all to enjoy, endure and comment on as I just found out I can make it this weekend, I'm arriving Wednesday to have an extra day to ride. :)
I think I have a challenge coin you gave me awhile back and told me "if I present it, beers are on you" !
Please bring lots of cash or a suitable credit card!
Jason

Weird Jason, I just put my coin in my tank bag just before I sat down to type this. Great minds think alike.

Packed and ready for morning departure. Going to try and travel light, Top case is empty.

Attachments

• 20230517_143042.jpg
    20230517_143042.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 43
Check-in times is up in the air until the hosts arrive, settle in, and see where the hotel lets us set up.
The hope is to be available THU late afternoon and evening and while we are hangsing around at night. Maybe FRI morning too... or whenever you can catch me to sign-in. Expect it to be loosey-goosey.
Clyde and I will be arriving sometime mid-afternoon. Since we're at the Ramada, we'll have to trek over to the Fairfield once we get in and settled. I'll drop you, and or, Jason a text to see if sign-in activity is up and running.

Last edited:
Most people arrived Thursday. Over 40 checked in. Friday was a perfect riding day with folks heading out in different directions. let’s see what today brings. There is rain in the forecast. Maybe it will hold off and those who planned to ride will be able to.