• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

sprintfilter install

maverick9611

“tryin not to get old”
very popular in europe. superior to k/n by using polyester instead of cotton.
here's watcha get in the box:
I got this one off ebay.
pm62s is the part#
since brocks stickers were in there, im sure you could order directly from brocks if ya wanna.
try looking thru your stock filter or a k/n. your can't.
from sprint:
no other filter in the world using a single layer polyester fabric. the woven threads have 22 micron to 70 micron each. creating a filtering mesh of 37 to 85 micron. filtering material sandwiched between 2 special steel alloy meshes that are treated with epoxy resin.
cleaning; pull out, blow air from opposite side. done. no oils, mess.
installing today, stay tuned...

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_062611_411.jpg
    IMG_20211009_062611_411.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20211009_062652_877.jpg
    IMG_20211009_062652_877.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20211009_062754_350.jpg
    IMG_20211009_062754_350.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
remove upper sub fairing left side
remove accessory tray on tank
remove all corresponding fasteners
remove both metals brackets that hold your electrical stuff
fold rubber cover out the way to access filter box.
remove filter(cursing authorized)
install new one. the filter has a upper/lower track . make sure it's in the track.
filter cover gasket material was crumbly/nasty. made my own with foam strips.

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_072339_048.jpg
    IMG_20211009_072339_048.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20211009_073143_379.jpg
    IMG_20211009_073143_379.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20211009_073557_649.jpg
    IMG_20211009_073557_649.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20211009_073438_099.jpg
    IMG_20211009_073438_099.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20211009_074728_152.jpg
    IMG_20211009_074728_152.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 115
I did alot of dyno work with a sprint filter in my versys 1000. The 1000 has a significantly smaller filter than the c-14, much less surface area stock. The sprint filter didn't change anything, not .5 hp difference. Nothing. And on that bike it didn't even fit, I had to trim it all the way around with a die grinder to get it to fit. I know you want the best for your bike, but I think this is another of the "I got your money" mods so commonly marketed to hotrodders and enthusiasts.
Steve

thanx for the tip steve.
Yeah, not trying to be "Debbie Downer" but I've been hotrodding for over 40 years, and this is the most common type of "buyer beware" product. I bought the filter for my Versys because a custome had gotten one and he SWORE it got him more power. He's a certified kawasaki mechanic, and he really wanted to see how much power it got on the dyno. I bought a filter and did the work. Nothing.

Folks seem to always think "more is better" and that somehow the airflow in and out is being limited and costing them power. It's as old as combustion engines I suppose. Therefore anything that proports to increase airflow is seen as a gain. But what if the stock filter flows enough air? Then there has to be another thing to sweeten the deal - like just clean and go, rather than replace. I can't say for the sprint, but for a fact, the K&N lets more dirt through. Since the Sprint has a different ($$$$) filter to be used in dirty conditions, I expect the regular Sprint lets enough dirt through that it could be a problem. So now we're back to the stock filter, which has plenty of surface area and does a great job of filtering. Nothing in this world is free.

Do you mea
Yeah, not trying to be "Debbie Downer" but I've been hotrodding for over 40 years, and this is the most common type of "buyer beware" product. I bought the filter for my Versys because a custome had gotten one and he SWORE it got him more power. He's a certified kawasaki mechanic, and he really wanted to see how much power it got on the dyno. I bought a filter and did the work. Nothing.

Folks seem to always think "more is better" and that somehow the airflow in and out is being limited and costing them power. It's as old as combustion engines I suppose. Therefore anything that proports to increase airflow is seen as a gain. But what if the stock filter flows enough air? Then there has to be another thing to sweeten the deal - like just clean and go, rather than replace. I can't say for the sprint, but for a fact, the K&N lets more dirt through. Since the Sprint has a different ($$$$) filter to be used in dirty conditions, I expect the regular Sprint lets enough dirt through that it could be a problem. So now we're back to the stock filter, which has plenty of surface area and does a great job of filtering. Nothing in this world is free.
So turning the air filter cover upside down didn't make my 1970 390 Galaxy any faster??😀

I did alot of dyno work with a sprint filter in my versys 1000. The 1000 has a significantly smaller filter than the c-14, much less surface area stock. The sprint filter didn't change anything, not .5 hp difference. Nothing. And on that bike it didn't even fit, I had to trim it all the way around with a die grinder to get it to fit. I know you want the best for your bike, but I think this is another of the "I got your money" mods so commonly marketed to hotrodders and enthusiasts.
Steve

Do you mea

So turning the air filter cover upside down didn't make my 1970 390 Galaxy any faster??😀
I did it too😉

yup, I do. I'm doing a mountain run to greeneville tn from augusta. I will leave it in and see if I feel a difference.

Maverick, are you doing the Mountain Run with a Buddy?
Your gonna hate me for this, but I have a suggestion... 🥸
Do (before and after) "Roll On's" with your Buddy.
Easiest/only way to see if it actually makes any difference, or is the effect "placebo".

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I also turned the filter top upside down on my Ford Galaxy 390... (62 and 69)

buddy has a 05 fjr. don't worry Ted, I have enuff seat time in the mountains to know if I wasted over a 100 bucks. (I probably did)

We'll be waiting for your report.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: You can still do a Roll on/ comparison with a FJR. {**You just need to make adjustment's before you do the test)
ie; My son rides a FJR and I do Roll on's with him to compare the bikes.
** To make it even, his wife rides with "me" when we do them.
,,,, {She likes to wave at him as we pull away}. <evil grin>

*** "I NEVER lie".. (But I do occasionally enhance the truth).

Last edited:
the truth about silvers being the best? probably true😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_142711_935.jpg
    IMG_20210307_142711_935.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 111
well I did my trip in the mountains a couple of weeks ago. couldn't tell a difference xcept mileage a tad better. I pulled a 46 on 1 tank