• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sprocket for cam chain seems wrong

bbrennerto9512

RB
Intake marker and exhaust markers are supposed to be at 3 o'clock for IN and 9 o'clock for EX per the manual. Am I reading correctly 490DD7FE-5216-43A1-8026-0BE5E4305B3F.jpegwhen the EX timing chain sprocket is about 160 degrees off?

Go to you tube.. shoodaben engineering video for cam timing. Those cams look like the ones steve has in the video and, well watch the video for proper alignment.

Steve is the man...!!!

That cam sprocket is my Advanced Cam Sprocket. Unfortunately, it's incorrectly installed, and now is a retarded cam sprocket. The scribed line needs to be even with the head. The cam needs to be rotated forward, (counter clockwise) 1 tooth. The bike will run much better once corrected.
Steve

Bbrennert. did you install the sprocket, or did you buy the bike with the sprocket already installed?
Whatever is the case, just do as Steve sez and all will be great..

Ride safe, Ted

Bbrennert. did you install the sprocket, or did you buy the bike with the sprocket already installed?
Whatever is the case, just do as Steve sez and all will be great..

Ride safe, Ted
I bought the bike last year with the sprocket installed. I've put about 6000 miles on the bike and was looking to adjust the valves since the previous owner last adjusted the valves about 10,000 prior.

Go to you tube.. shoodaben engineering video for cam timing. Those cams look like the ones steve has in the video and, well watch the video for proper alignment.

Steve is the man...!!!
I was unable to find that video to post.
Anyone know where to find it?

Ride safe, Ted

I want share my appreciation and thanks for connie_rider and Jim Synder's assistance in resovling my Exhaust Cam Sproket issue. I also want to thank Steve of Shoodaben Engineering for getting me in contact connie_rider and Jim. After a call from connie_rider to Jim Synder, Jim offered to make time for me to drive over with my bike in tow for him to dive in and expertly take care of business. It was a relatively quick fix for Jim given his years of experience. Their collaborative actions demonstrated to me what COG is all about - genuine people willing to help.

P.S. - I also want to share that Jim also cleaned up a few other items he noticed with the bike. Again, his experience identified immediate must address issues to improve the bike's performance.

Last edited:
Sounds like great news.
I hate to say nice things about Jim :rolleyes:, {but I have to admit it}. He's a good guy. (y)

So, does it run better now?

Ride safe, Ted
Ted,

Motor sounds great. Jim suggested I do the ground wire jumper that Steve posted on his YouTube channel so I knocked that out last weekend. Once I get my new windscreen, I'll take the bike out for a spin.

Thanks again