• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stationary Drop grrr...

SteveL-J

Having changed the front tire and adjusted the brake lever, I went out for a quick spin around the block to make sure tire was seated/sealed. Stopped, I thought, by garage door, hit the remote and suddenly Connie was trying to take a nap on her right hand side. She succeeded.
What the fuzzy happened?
Front wheel was turned too tight and the adjustment to the brake lever meant I didn't have enough hold on the brakes and I may have released the clutch just enough to push her over. Arrggggghhhh!
Results; as I had removed the bags the front foot peg took the brunt of the impact and broke off, there is a new small crack in the fairing above the right front indicator and couple of new scrapes on lower fairing. Luckily the new Rifle windshield was not affected.
Lesson learned:  Change one thing at a time and trust your instincts. While riding around the block I was thinking the brake lever did not feel right. I should have stopped/parked, in a straight line and re-adjusted the lever.  The good part is I am more concious of the balance/top heavy aspect of the Connie.
Any tips on repairs to the fairings gratefully received.

What I omitted; I hurt my back trying to pick her up, a neighbor helped afterwards but damage done. But after a few sessions with chiropractor I'm 95% better six weeks later!

There is a video on how to pickup any large bike that might make it easier next time. Will fwd if interested.

croach1776 said:
There is a video on how to pickup any large bike that might make it easier next time. Will fwd if interested.

picking up a Harley, resting on a bag, is apples compared to torpedoes, when trying to pick up a C14, on it's side,full tank, in a garage, after you laid trapped under it..for 20 minutes screaming; oh, and when it fell, there were no saddlebags/luggage/crash bars mounted., .... yeah, right,,, it actually lays in a "negative attitude",bar on ground, peg on ground, almost upside down.... and even getting it horizontal, using those means, will never result in a complete "pick up".. btdt.. have the hernia... and a testicle that does not function...

Warning misogynistic comment may or may not follow.
Red has nice eyes!

@Mr Analdweeb Man O' Blues "Ouch!"

I did know, somewhere in the dusty back room of my mind about the back into it method but the idiodrenaline kicked in first.

Before mounting the new peg grind off the little hump that prevents it from folding up further . That might save the peg if it happens again . Take a peek at the remaining peg and you'll see where to grind . Also examine the peg bracket as that may have cracked also . Then of course grind the other also .

Twice I have turned right and touched the front brake on a stopping uphill turn . Twice I have had to pick up my bike, the more it goes over the harder you pull on the brake the faster it drops. I'm not Shure but I think their is a correlation between the two!