• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Steve Flashed Me ......

colt45

And it hurt my eyes!!!

I have done this myself to a Triumph with great results, like 50 mpg at 75 MPH true and roll on wheelies 700 RPM before the rev limit.  But like building computers, I know what's in there and would rather just use the darned thing. 

I have had Steve's Mountain Runner flash for about 2 weeks and not every day was a rideable day.  It is a new motorcycle!  My first reaction is WOW!  If it had been like this at first, I'd have been afraid of it.  It accelerates from 3k to 4K about the same as it used to accelerate from 5k to 6k. 

It is very crisp and eager, the A/F ratio is spot-on.  Got off of a 4-lane and onto the surface street, grabbed a handful at 3k; it lifted the front wheel about 1/2 inch.  I shifted to second without the clutch and it continued to hold the wheel up through 2nd.  I'm not even sure the front wheel touched during the shift.  Waa Hooooooo!  Before, it would have lofted the front wheel about 2 feet as it revved through 6k, and done it suddenly. No "surprises" this time.  I tried that again this afternoon, starting around 3500.  The front tire broke contact with the ground making it hard to steer  :eek: but it didn't reach for the clouds as it would have.  It held that attitude well past 7k.  That 6500 RPM surge is very well tamed. 

It toodles around from 2000 to 4k (where I actually spent most of my time) as easily as ever, but now it will lunge forward if I ask it to, without a downshift.  It is very easy to roll up to a redlight as it changes and calmly accelerate away when it turns green, from 1500 RPM, or idle through a school zone at 1500 and 15 MPH in 2nd.  I would not have done either before the flash, but I can't remember why any more. 

I had developed a habit of gently easing the throttle off the idle stop and then rolling into the power.  It prevented an upset to the bike when leaned over, or to a passenger.  I no longer have to do that and difference is glaring; the old lurch is just not there.  There is no need to be gentle, but I still can't help myself.  The bike deserves plenty of respect.

Shifting smoothly is also lots easier.  When engaging the clutch on an upshift, the RPM is just "there" where and how you want it.  This is another area where Lurch is missing.  Nice. 

Maybe it gets better mileage, I've been getting 38 MPG in traffic, including one stretch of 3 miles in 20 minutes, I'm not sure yet.  It's still hard not to goose it when I get some room.  :motonoises:

I not have my ECU flashed yet. I've been contemplating it, but if its that easy to lift the front wheel off the ground then I'm not interested. I would like it (the flash) for extra umpphh and throttle responsiveness, easy of use at slow speeds, etc., but not for sake of popping wheelies.

Can you help clarify this?  Thanks

Clarify, sure.  Extra uummph always means a greater tendency to wheelie, unless YOU control it.

However, my bike is LESS wheelie prone than it used to be.  Yes, a big handful in 1st or 2nd WILL unload the front wheel  :great:, but I have complete control of how big big is.  And, it is no longer explosive revving through 6000 RPM and so won't (so far) jerk the wheel 2+ feet off the ground, suddenly. 

I don't think a bike with a stock exhaust exhibits the huge surge in torque at 6500 like a bike with an AreaP full system does (like mine),  So, if yours is stock, you won't have that problem.  A stock exhaust may not wheelie at all, without some deliberate effort.  I've never ridden a stock C14. 

The AreaP system exceeds the power of a stock system above 5000, by as much as 13 HP, meaning it is a very different motorcycle. 

Throttle control and precision is much better, no more lurch.  I haven't tried it, yet, but I can imagine tweaking my line in a curve with the throttle.  I would never have attempted that before. 

Colt45 said:
Clarify, sure.  Extra uummph always means a greater tendency to wheelie, unless YOU control it.

However, my bike is LESS wheelie prone than it used to be.  Yes, a big handful in 1st or 2nd WILL unload the front wheel  :great:, but I have complete control of how big big is.  And, it is no longer explosive revving through 6000 RPM and so won't (so far) jerk the wheel 2+ feet off the ground, suddenly. 

I don't think a bike with a stock exhaust exhibits the huge surge in torque at 6500 like a bike with an AreaP full system does (like mine),  So, if yours is stock, you won't have that problem.  A stock exhaust may not wheelie at all, without some deliberate effort.  I've never ridden a stock C14. 

The AreaP system exceeds the power of a stock system above 5000, by as much as 13 HP, meaning it is a very different motorcycle. 

Throttle control and precision is much better, no more lurch.  I haven't tried it, yet, but I can imagine tweaking my line in a curve with the throttle.  I would never have attempted that before.

Thanks Colt45. Yeah, mine is pretty much the stock C14. I've only replaced the stock exhaust w/ a Two Brothers slip-on. Appreciate it!

did it look like this?

https://media.giphy.com/media/TVSCxEMivgkuY/giphy.gif

or more like this?

https://gfycat.com/annualcookedchevrotain

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
did it look like this?

https://media.giphy.com/media/TVSCxEMivgkuY/giphy.gif

or more like this?

https://gfycat.com/annualcookedchevrotain

I think more like this..... remember kids... say NO to Crack....
https://youtu.be/ydnQb73MEsw

Deepsea said:
When I read your title "Steve Flashed Me ......" my head exploded and now I've got this image of Steve's ...
Flash stuck in my brain. Thanks for the trauma! :mad: :rotflmao: :nananana:

:rotflmao: I emailed Steve a few weeks ago about a flash and still need to call him to schedule a flash, but I found this thread title and started second guessing myself about the man. LOL!!

That perv has been flashing everybody!!!!  :rotflmao: