• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stock Concours 1400 HP

zarticus

So there seems to be a post of what I think is some mis information thats posting on the Facebook site that stock Concours 1400's are putting out 160 HP, I posted that it's not anywere near 160. They then posted a spec sheet showing in stock form they make 155 HP at 5500 RPM. I said no way but it seems they don't believe me. I looked it up online and there are a few sites showing the same numbers at 155 @ 5500 Rpm. I've seen a few Concours 1400's on Dyno's and know 155-160 stock is wrong. Can anyone confirm this with me ?. I'm not trying to be a know it all or argue with the person posting but I did not want people possibly buying a Connie just because they think it's 155-160 Hp stock by what they are reading on Our Facebook page.

If stock means straight from the showroom floor with stock tuning then I would say all I have seen would say - not happening.

Now for some an engine is considered stock if you don’t change any internals - exhaust, intake, digital tuning all fair game and still considered ‘stock’. If that is the case then yes in excess of 160HP is documented. Now at 5,500 RPM - not happening.

Then finally there are those that talk about HP at the crank. But again 160 HP, direct from showroom no modifications at all and at 5,500 RPM - not happening.

Yes , I'm thinking what people are seeing online when searching for HP numbers must be at the Crank. If it really was 155-160 at the wheel and at 5500 Rpm then at 10,000 Rpm it would be a 200 Hp bike !. I know my Connie with a Vance & Hines pipe & great ECU flash is not 160 HP. To get 160 Hp the header would need to be changed also. I've hadmine on a Dyno & have seen others on a Dyno as well.

Looks like max power stock is 155 at 8800 rpm . Pretty easy info to find . I am sometimes very disappointed at what I see on the Facebook page . It's like an alternate universe sometimes...lol .

Looks like max power stock is 155 at 8800 rpm . Pretty easy info to find . I am sometimes very disappointed at what I see on the Facebook page . It's like an alternate universe sometimes...lol .
I still think that is wrong. On Ivans performance web site he's showing Peak HP Dyno run with his ECU reflash and a slip on pipe is 152.37 Hp. On Shoodaben Engineering's website he's showing Peak HP Dyno run with his Hammer ECU reflash and a slip on pipe is 156.58 . I'm not posting this to compair flash's or who's is best, I'm posting this to show that even with one of the 2 best flash's available and a slip on pipe the Connie will be in the 150-150 HP range. This is not what I would call a stock bike. All I can figure is all the write up's and spec sheets online are HP at the crank for a Factory stock bike !

In the full service manual the engine itself is rated 155HP @8800 rpm. Obviously that is not at the rear wheel.

Actually misread it, it is 155 PS @8800, which is 153 HP.

Last edited:
I have read that there are differences in dynomometers results are to be expected.
A quote from an internet discussion:"Every dyno is going to read things differently. This is inherent due to several factors, which include, but are not limited to, atmospheric conditions (temp, barometric readings, etc), testing conditions (do they place a fan in front of the radiator, how tight did they tie down the vehicle, etc), type of dyno (eddy current or acceleration), or manufacturer of the dyno itself (Mustang, Dynojet, Superflow, etc.). Even the quality of the gas can have different results. Each is going to provide different readings"

Another factor that confuses the issue is which Correction Factor the chart is depicted in. This takes into consideration an average ambient pressure and temp as a baseline. IMO, SAE is the best and most realistic correction factor.

Some who sell performance mods choose to depict their charts in STD correction factor, which will show about 3% higher number than SAE. Clearly this is to make their product appear to make more power.

Although my Concours dyno charts were originally depicted in SAE, I was forced to change them to STD in order to provide a consistent comparison with a competitor who chose to use STD correction factor. So when looking at some of the Concours dyno charts that have been mentioned, apply about a 3% reduction if they are depicted in STD. This will provide a fair comparison to SAE. in this manner, 150 HP STD will be about 145.5 HP SAE.
Steve

Does it really matter. Accessories and rider weight are going to effect the speed (available from HP)
Not to mention tire condition (and pressure) and valve clearance condition and even a headwind can have an effect.

Go fast and the ram air effect will add a little to the numbers over and above a static dyno run. Maybe a couple HP, though.

I don't know why you guys are making such a fuss. 155 hp factory rated at the crank, 135 hp commonly measured at the wheel implies only a 13% drivetrain loss....sounds pretty reasonable to me especially given the shaft drive.

I don't know why you guys are making such a fuss. 155 hp factory rated at the crank, 135 hp commonly measured at the wheel implies only a 13% drivetrain loss....sounds pretty reasonable to me especially given the shaft drive.
There is no fuss, I was just trying to get clarification on the HP number. I did not wat people thinking that in stock form the bke is 155-160 RWHP if it is not.

At full throttle that 13% loss at the driveshaft should create alot of heat I'd imagine, over time.
Like a long wide open run at say Bonneville.
Nick
2014 C-14

Given that an ICE is maybe only 30 percent efficient to begin with, there is plenty of waste heat anyway!

I still think that is wrong. On Ivans performance web site he's showing Peak HP Dyno run with his ECU reflash and a slip on pipe is 152.37 Hp. On Shoodaben Engineering's website he's showing Peak HP Dyno run with his Hammer ECU reflash and a slip on pipe is 156.58 . I'm not posting this to compair flash's or who's is best, I'm posting this to show that even with one of the 2 best flash's available and a slip on pipe the Connie will be in the 150-150 HP range. This is not what I would call a stock bike. All I can figure is all the write up's and spec sheets online are HP at the crank for a Factory stock bike !
Since that works out to 153 ft-lbs of torque at 5500 RPMs then, short of a supercharger, the physics does not seem to support it. Would be amazing power though :)

It really don't matter what the Dyno says. Put them side by side and just RUN. UM !! Then you'll know. I'm always game to send it. 😎👍👍🇺🇸

On my 2014 C-14 last Oct. I did a high speed run from Cedar City Ut west on 56 out to Panaca NV.
Conditions were no wind XL Cee bailey windshield fully lowered, duffle bag on rear seat, 1/2 played out RS2 tires.
I found over 140 or so MY bike was getting a little twitchey. Ran it up to [ on the speedo] 160 several times for 2-4 miles at a strength. Ran about 50 miles never below 130. Up at 160 it was getting uncomfortable due to the twitchyness.
I was a perfect day for it, sunny , no wind, and thank god no cops. and very little to no traffic.
I don't know what got into me heading into Nevada I just got the wild hair, to see what the C-14 was like at speed.
I was going back and forth between 5th and 6th gear. At the higher speeds it didn't want to accelerate much in 6th but it would in 5th.
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:
The Atomic silver bikes were the only 1400 hp model.;)

Nick your lucky very lucky for many reasons...

That’s some long stretches of high speed.

I have not noticed any twitchy behavior.
Could be my loading 2-up, bags, trunk, different tires, road surface, suspension settings - so many variables. Again nothing near the stretches you ran though..

At Bonneville Speedway they have a run what you brung weekend.
I was thinking about going out there with my C-14, pass inspection, take off the windscreen and saddle bags and go for it.
But now I'm not so sure.
Maybe some brand new, carefully balanced tires would help.
Like some Michelin Road pilot 5's.
I don't want to have a problem and go down, no way.
Nick
2014 C-14

That's why I live at sea level...

Doing a high speed run at Bonneville is night and day different from doing it on the street, If I was going to do what your talking about I would talk to people who have experience in such activity not guess what tire is best for 180 mph on salt.

I believe on going to a track like our group has done at JenningsGP race course the past 5 years and on a track you have no trees, dogs, kids, turtles, deer God knows what to hit, I have yet to slide a street bike down since 1970, I crashed on dirt as a teen but I don't push the limit on the street like some do on mountain rides, acceleration in my thing that's why I've owned this bike for ten years and see no reason to up grade... ever.