• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stoner coming back to MotoGP???

I was hoping he would come back to racing, it's a shame to waste such talent on 4 wheels

just a small vent.

is stoner one of the best, obviously.  and seeing him ride is incredible.  but it is just not entertaining to hear him whine about every other aspect of the sport.  in the words from the Godfather "...this is the business we've chosen".  if you dont like doing press conferences, sponsor visits, and all of the other things that actually pay your salary, and want to earn millions for the few actual hours of riding that you do, well, youve chosen the wrong way to go.  it seems to me, part of what the rest of us love about it is hearing these guys talk about riding at that level, since none of us will ever be able to...Stoner just has never been wanting to do that, partially due to some untruthful press that he encountered during his career.

People forget, during his last year, a write broke the story that he was retiring after getting it from one of his technicians or a Honda person who knew about it.  then stoner berated the writer to his face as if he had told a great lie about his family.  then 10 days later Stoner told the press he was retiring.  i mean REALLY?!

would i love to see him come back and battle marquez, Lorenzo, and this next gen of riders, i would love it...but i surely dont miss anything that he had to talk about.

just my 2 cents...every story says he's not coming back...i have read everything from he is just being asked to ride the bikes to get his take on them, to he is still under contract to honda, and they are using his employ for feedback since their factory riders both are semi injured from recent racing incidents.

mnofpeace said:
just a small vent.

is stoner one of the best, obviously.  and seeing him ride is incredible.  but it is just not entertaining to hear him whine about every other aspect of the sport.  in the words from the Godfather "...this is the business we've chosen".  if you dont like doing press conferences, sponsor visits, and all of the other things that actually pay your salary, and want to earn millions for the few actual hours of riding that you do, well, youve chosen the wrong way to go.  it seems to me, part of what the rest of us love about it is hearing these guys talk about riding at that level, since none of us will ever be able to...Stoner just has never been wanting to do that, partially due to some untruthful press that he encountered during his career.

People forget, during his last year, a write broke the story that he was retiring after getting it from one of his technicians or a Honda person who knew about it.  then stoner berated the writer to his face as if he had told a great lie about his family.  then 10 days later Stoner told the press he was retiring.  i mean REALLY?!

would i love to see him come back and battle marquez, Lorenzo, and this next gen of riders, i would love it...but i surely dont miss anything that he had to talk about.

just my 2 cents...every story says he's not coming back...i have read everything from he is just being asked to ride the bikes to get his take on them, to he is still under contract to honda, and they are using his employ for feedback since their factory riders both are semi injured from recent racing incidents.

Yep, the whining got old real fast.  Remember the Indy race a couple seasons back?  Jeez, really?  Not surprising, though when you think about it, that young riders in their twenties are not always mature enough (or well coached enough) to see the big picture, much less know when to keep their thoughts to themselves.  :-X

I totally agree mnofpeace...
I think the same things about a lot of other whining professional athletes, actors, and people out there in the spotlight who make more money in one year than most people will make in their entire lifetime. If they don't want to be a "role model", sign autographs, and smile for the cameras... then go pump gas or flip burgers for $10/hour like the other 99% of the world's population & see how they like it. It just seems like some of them want all of the money and prestige they can get, but then they don't want any of the responsibility, accountability, or attention that goes along with it. It's sorta sad that nobody's ever told them that the world doesn't work that way-

LakeTrax said:
I think the same things about a lot of other whining professional athletes, actors, and people out there in the spotlight who make more money in one year than most people will make in their entire lifetime. If they don't want to be a "role model", sign autographs, and smile for the cameras... then go pump gas or flip burgers for $10/hour like the other 99% of the world's population & see how they like it. It just seems like some of them want all of the money and prestige they can get, but then they don't want any of the responsibility, accountability, or attention that goes along with it. It's sorta sad that nobody's ever told them that the world doesn't work that way-
That is exactly why I gave up watching pro sports!
Matt

mattchewn said:
LakeTrax said:
That is exactly why I gave up watching pro sports!
Matt

No need to let a few bad apples spoil the whole bushel.  No matter where you go or what you do you will find some degree of this behavior- only way around it is to stay home in bed!  ;D

Seems you always find a high % of personality disorder ****heads at the top of many sports (and dare I say business and politics?).

Such people, who MUST be the best, are probably driven by some terrible parts of their core being and really can't help themselves when they accidentally break out of their fake shell and go nuts.

Witness Mladin, Kozinski, Mike Baldwin, Gardner, and possibly Stoner.  Read Kevin Cameron's "TDC" for some fascinating insights into "the best".

Slow Pete

Hogboy said:
Seems you always find a high % of personality disorder ****heads at the top of many sports (and dare I say business and politics?).

Such people, who MUST be the best, are probably driven by some terrible parts of their core being and really can't help themselves when they accidentally break out of their fake shell and go nuts.

Witness Mladin, Kozinski, Mike Baldwin, Gardner, and possibly Stoner.  Read Kevin Cameron's "TDC" for some fascinating insights into "the best".

Slow Pete

I agree.  Perhaps their is a finite amount of "development juice" in a person's body.  Some of us develop more intellectually, or more physically all the while developing an agreeable personality with empathy and well-meaningness (is that a word?) for all.  Maybe these guys consume all their development juice in being the fastest mo-fo's on two wheels.  Doesn't leave a lot of room for a well-adjusted personality.  Damn the torpedoes.