• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stop & Go tire plug kit

mtnrider

Anyone ever try these?

I tend to make a mess when using the tar strings and glue. This looks to be much neater and possibly better(?).

https://www.stopngo.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stop+%26+go+tire+plugger&hvadid=177557559334&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028744&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1706396412573373242&hvtargid=kwd-14588483444&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_1pjlwnd4uo_e

Amazon link to a search with various kits, basic ($35), with CO2 ($47) or with an air pump ($53). Pricier than the tar strings but?

Your thoughts?

Looks like a decent set. I live on a gravel road and travel about 3/4 mile to the pavement so I've had my run-ins with flat tires. I usually stick with the regular plug kits but this looks like it would be more convenient.

MtnRider said:
Anyone ever try these?

I tend to make a mess when using the tar strings and glue. This looks to be much neater and possibly better(?).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stop+%26+go+tire+plugger&hvadid=177557559334&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028744&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1706396412573373242&hvtargid=kwd-14588483444&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_1pjlwnd4uo_e

Amazon link to a search with various kits, basic ($35), with CO2 ($47) or with an air pump ($53). Pricier than the tar strings but?

Your thoughts?

Please do a little more "searching here" before buying those... it's your money, so I can't stop you...

First off, "Tar Strings" are not Tar... they are a highly vulcanizable rubber, that when used correctly with the glue, will 'BOND to the hole....
The "fiber" rope, also prevents the "scissoring/snipping" action that radial tires with a puncture, tend to exert on a small rubber plug, that HAS NO GLUE applied. The plug is snipped off by the chords (steel belt, or polyester chords), and gets spit out.
Then, if you decide to attempt to intall a "rope" plug, the hole is contaminated from the "oil" that is prescribed to use on the StopN-Go, to make it "insertable"...
at least that was what they originally used.... not sure if they went to a "glue" recently.
Even tho most people consider a "plug" of any kind, an inadequate, long term repair, the S&G products have failed miserably many times over, so much that people that spent that money, and had failures, call them "Stop n Go, and Stop n Go, and Stop again...."
Anything in an emergency works, but some work better than others.

I do recommend a pump tho,  :great:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/138-6131414-1589762?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000ET9SB4&pd_rd_r=39432bd4-45d3-11e9-87a3-d1c5d12b63d5&pd_rd_w=CjhId&pd_rd_wg=cql2D&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=XP6MHYJJ1C9SX9D5F6RQ&psc=1&refRID=XP6MHYJJ1C9SX9D5F6RQ

CO2 cartridges are futile... even for a bicycle tire...  :truce:

"First off, "Tar Strings" are not Tar" I know. Relax, Mob, I just didn't come up with the correct term when posting this.    :truce:  I dub thee KoK - "King of Korrection".  :nananana:  :beerchug:  These are what I have in the side case, btw.

Good point on the fiber vs plastic!    :great:  I think that pretty well covers why not to use the S&Gs and thus, my question is answered.

And that's the air pump I have in the side case with the fiber thingies.    :great: :beerchug:

I have the rubber plug type mushroom repair kit but I have used the Dynaplug kit multiple times now and its my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Micro-Bicycle-Tubeless-Repair/dp/B017BYKGTC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=dynaplug&qid=1552606158&s=gateway&sr=8-5

EDIT: They make a specific motorcycle kit, I linked you to the bicycle one.

The stop and Go can be used for very large punctures, but using the unit can hog out a significant hole in the tire for the repair. I saved a couple in Astoria with a flat using the STG unit, they were heading home to Canada.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1000-Pocket-Plugger/dp/B0006NE3KE/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=177557559334&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028744&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1706396412573373242&hvtargid=kwd-14588483444&keywords=stop+%26+go+tire+plugger&qid=1552606043&s=gateway&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20

I'm not dissing the Dyna's, or disputing them in any way..(in reality it's just a smaller gummy rope, with a metal tip).. I just always say "some" bonding agent (glue) is required if you expect to go more than 50 miles.. call me weird,. I really don't care... I don't have to be the one saying how much of a P.I.T.A. it was, because someone believed in "internet hype"..
so, yes, DYNA does work.. apply glue... just saying.
Stop-N-Go.... well, you buy it, use it, and come back and tell me it got you 500 miles back to your house....

now I''l go further, and explain my "love" for the "gummy worm/rope/glue system"

the Dyna, simply inserts, and extracts... done deal... you have to trust the adhesive impregnated in the plug....and it's ability to bond to the hole in the tire....

generic "gumyy rope/slime/monkey Grip" etc., plugs, with copious amount of glue applied, inserted into a tire being "pressurized" and when the "tool" is extracted, deposit a LOT of "bonding/vulcaniizing/glueing" sealants to the complete plug.... especially on the inner surface of the puncture, during retraction of the tool...

sorry, I really need to go take pictures and post them, showing this exact thing, I tossed all my Old plugged tires, but I WILL peel off  the one, with 30 plugs in it, to show the fact that gummy worm, and glue, are not a joke.

spend as much money as you have... you will be hard pressed to argue.

it ain't about money, it's about what works.

I have the Stop&Go system... have had it for over 7 years now... never had to use them... so they work wonders as an energetic shield field to protect your tires!

And they look cool too... you just have to remember to recharge them under a full moon a couple of times in the year.

But I would NOT recommend them for actual flat tire use.

This is a good thread.  Something to think about as we gear up for spring riding.  :great:

On that Slime Pump:  is THAT the one that everybody is recommending??  Other than just MOB?

I've periodically glanced at electric pump threads, but dismissed them due to being too bulky to carry, and sucking too much amperage for the bikes electrical capacity.

I'm thinking of ditching my decade old tire repair kit (mushroom plug and Co2 cartridge) that has never been used.  I think the aforementioned "energetic shield" of puncture deterrence has also worked for me!

gr

ghostrider990 said:
On that Slime Pump:  is THAT the one that everybody is recommending?? 
gr

Same one I've been carrying for at least 8 years. Very compact & works great. Carrying case is maybe 6 - 7" square by 2 -2 1/2" deep. I can still fit glue, worms, reamer & insert tool in the case with pump.

Keep mine in the tank bag.

Just Cliff said:
ghostrider990 said:
On that Slime Pump:  is THAT the one that everybody is recommending?? 
gr

Same one I've been carrying for at least 8 years. Very compact & works great. Carrying case is maybe 6 - 7" square by 2 -2 1/2" deep. I can still fit glue, worms, reamer & insert tool in the case with pump.

Keep mine in the tank bag.

Thanks Cliff.

So, consensus is that the Worms are the best bet for proper tire sealing??
Do you buy the slime branded plug kit as well??

thanks,
N

I carried the worms for years and picked up the Dynaplug kit at Cycle Gear when they were on sale.  I carry both, and honestly if having to plug a tire, I'm not sure which one I would use. If you are riding with me, it will be the Dynaplug on your bike because I have a bunch of them.  Its wise to practice every once and a while, with the best time right before you replace a tire.  Here is a photo of the Dynaplug I tested. 

dynaplugtest.jpg

Admittedly, I've never done this on a motorcycle tire, let alone on the roadside.

I'll be buying new tires soon, and will take your advice and "practicing" before they go to the recycling bin.
Good idea.  :great:

gr

I picked up a wheel weight in the rear tire leaving Heppner Oregon. TPMS alerted me to the low pressure so I pulled over and put the bike on the CS. The metal tab that secures the wheel weight to a car rim had a nice slice in my tire. Pulled the weight out and had to use 3 tire plugs to seal the hole. 3 Dynaplugs. I still had a slow leak until the heat of the tire sealed the hole. Made it home Ok and did another short trip on that rear tire.

Cheers all!!!!!

So, is there a good/compact kit available with the  "gummy rope/slime/monkey Grip" etc., plugs?
I had the gummys and tools in a plastic bag that tore and spreads the tools.  :mad:
Need to get something new, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Never mind.
Realized I needed to order a new pump too.  :-[
  So I ordered the pump, tools, spare gummy's that MOB posted.

connie_rider said:
So, is there a good/compact kit available with the  "gummy rope/slime/monkey Grip" etc., plugs?
I had the gummys and tools in a plastic bag that tore and spreads the tools.  :mad:
Need to get something new, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

TupperWare Sandwich or salad tub, holds all mine, T-handle tools, gummies, a couple glue tubes... I just buy a new "gummy and glue" refill kit occasionally, then use scissors and trim the excess cardboard around the "bubble", and leave it sealed for storage in the tupperware box.
kinda like these, with the latching lids... I got some at Dollar General store, for...$1...
https://www.ideastage.com/Sandwich-Keeper-585441432?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj7-gsIKe4QIVS__jBx1ZngukEAQYECABEgJUevD_BwE

QPic

81BHh0aCN-L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Collection-Sandwich-Storage-Container/dp/B0040QD9MG/ref=asc_df_B0040QD9MG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167127663572&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10226607426459559152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-305388468402&psc=1

you can even add to it, like toss in valve stem replacement valves, stem tool, a rag, etc.,
then glob some black RTV on the backside, stick it inside to the cover of a side bag, or trunk lid... and fugggit aboutit.. :great: :great:

Thanx Cliff/MOB.
I ordered the Slime pump and will hopefully get the tools/plugs in it's package like Cliff did.
Will also get what MOB suggested for the other tools/items I carry {as I need to do something about my mess}.

Ride safe, Ted

almost forgot the "little gem"....

pick up a plastic lighter socket, prewired, and attach maybe 2 feet of 12awg lamp chord, and 2 battery clippy's... to make a handy "removable battery attached" hot point for the pump... that is only used for that purpose...I installed a fuse block inside my under seat OEM tool box, and just pop it open, clip onto the "hot leads" and power up...
that way you won't be popping fuses on the bikes system from the pump... they kinda have a high "inrush current draw", that mostly needs 10A or more to prevent popping a fuse.

For use on a C10, you can clip right to the battery terminals...

like this.... mind the wire gage tho... 14ga is the minimum I would use...  I prefer 12 ga.

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Cigarette-Lighter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B074CT5CSN/ref=asc_df_B074CT5CSN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242053210283&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4636675073535244187&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-411218206693&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-Battery-Cigarette-Alligator-Clips/dp/B07MX3RZFW/ref=asc_df_B07MX3RZFW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=330426419246&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4636675073535244187&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-663115344159&psc=1

MAN OF BLUES said:

pick up a plastic lighter socket, prewired, and attach maybe 2 feet of 12awg lamp chord, and 2 battery clippy's... to make a handy "removable battery attached" hot point for the pump... that is only used for that purpose...I installed a fuse block inside my under seat OEM tool box, and just pop it open, clip onto the "hot leads" and power up...
that way you won't be popping fuses on the bikes system from the pump... they kinda have a high "inrush current draw", that mostly needs 10A or more to prevent popping a fuse.

I bought one of those little gems from radio shack on a trip to California once.  My cousin had no lighter socket in his vehicle, so when we stopped somewhere, I'd lift the hood and hook up the phone!  What a guy will go through to charge a phone! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Bud said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

I bought one of those little gems from radio shack on a trip to California once.  My cousin had no lighter socket in his vehicle, so when we stopped somewhere, I'd lift the hood and hook up the phone!  What a guy will go through to charge a phone! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Modern McGyver....
:))

A mullet, and a couple paper clips, and a swiss army knife...
MV5BNjM4NTIwODExMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE0NTIxMDI@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

MtnRider said:
Anyone ever try these?

Your thoughts?
Looks like you’ve got a lot of advice already, but I’ve had one of those mushroom plug kits for over 7 years and have plugged 4 tires or so and then ran them until worn out and never had an issue with them. I now carry one on the hayabusa and one on the concours with a small slime compressor and it has saved me from being stranded on the side of the road, so I feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

Mabupa said:
Looks like you’ve got a lot of advice already, but I’ve had one of those mushroom plug kits for over 7 years and have plugged 4 tires or so and then ran them until worn out and never had an issue with them. I now carry one on the hayabusa and one on the concours with a small slime compressor and it has saved me from being stranded on the side of the road, so I feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

I'm glad you had success with the tool/plugs when you needed them most, and I always say "anything is better than nothing" in an "emergency".
My whole basis on the SnG kit, has been thru rider input over probably a 15 year period, combined with my personal experience going back just shy of 40 year now. I bought one when they first came out, (circa early 80's)and carried it...and because of it's size hoped it would be better than jambin glue covered rubber bands in a puncture if I was 20 miles from home (yea, did that a couple time in the 70's before tubeless M/C tires were commonplace). When I really need it, I re-plugged a small puncture 4 times in 130 miles, before stopping at an autoparts store and buying a gummy worm kit...(I till have visions of my dad, yelling at me, for not having that a my "repair kit"); which finally got me home; and lasted another 5k miles.
At our '07 National Rally, I gave a "plugging" demo, and all that attended found it pretty worth the time, as I supplied the tire, the plugs and the glue and tools for free to all that wanted "practice", also let/asked them to "practice" with their tool of choice/carry".. which included the SnG...
The AAD from Ohio, needed to replace a rubber/steel tube combo valve stem that cracked, and we even did that on the side, using a normal rubber stem we sent out for...
As luck would have it... he got a puncture in route from W. Va, back to Ohio, and stuck SnG plugs in 3 times, in that short run, (iirc, it may have been 2 times, but he did have to do repeat plugs) just to make it home. He actually called me and told me his pain and agony. So, I can't ever "recommend" it as the only thing I would choose.

I carry a Stop N Go kit on my motorcycles and in my autos.  Out of 6 or so uses (3 on motorcycles) I've only had 2 issues. One one (Mettzler ME880 on a motorcycle) the plug came out after about 2K miles, inserted another plug and ran it for another 3k miles. The other (AVON Azaro also on a motorcycle) would not plug the hole at all. That tire was pretty much at the end of its life anyway.  Never had a plug to fail in a car tire (though I've probably jinxed myself now forever  :??:).

A couple of things about using a SnG: 1. Don't ream the hole too much. Just enough so you can push the insertion tool into the tire the entire distance. 2.  Don't pull the plug back out too far when you're seating the "mushroom" (2" or so should be enough) and don't cut it off when you have it stretched out.

MtnRider said:
Anyone ever try these?

Your thoughts?

I have the basic Stop & Go kit and had an opportunity to use it last month on my rear PR4 with about 1/3 of its tread remaining.  Easy to use and still holding air as well as the front after nearly 4 weeks and close to 1k miles.  I can't vouch for how well inflating with the CO2 cartridges works though, since when I discovered the leak I was close enough to home to ride back, plug it there, and inflate with my 12v car tire inflator (plugged into the car).

Oh, and just a caution to any who may be as ignorant about 12v inflators as I was.  Don't use one on your Connie that's not designed for motorcycles - you'll blow the 5 amp fuse.  :(  I plan on getting a moto-specific inflator for touring.

connie_rider said:
Thanx Cliff/MOB.
I ordered the Slime pump and will hopefully get the tools/plugs in it's package like Cliff did.
Will also get what MOB suggested for the other tools/items I carry {as I need to do something about my mess/Tupperware box}.

Ride safe, Ted

I received the Slime pump/tire repair kit and added it to the bike.
But I opted a small insulated/cloth ice box to put everything in.
Works good, doesn't bounce around, and if I need an icebox, it's now available.

Ride safe, Ted

I thought I had posted this up, but I did a bit of research whilst searching for an electric pump, and came across these on the ADVRider forum:

https://www.motopumps.com/

Bought one for meself, and just got one for a buddy who rides as a bday gift after testing mine.

There's a few details on this one that, to me, make it worth the premium over the Slime model.  The motopump is twice as much, but carries a 5 year warranty, better hardware (brass screw-on valve stem connector, LED light, stowable hose, and integrated BACKLIT pressure gauge) all of which compelled me to spend a bit more on the MP.

If you follow the thread, there's a discount for ADVrider forum members, and Rob (owner) is very good about quick shipping and responses.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/motopumps-new-air-shot-12v-inflator-with-adv-discount-available-now.1148145/

There are multiple kit offerings, and two pump sizes to meet your needs - but the included accessories also make these pumps a better value. IMHO.  Also comes with a nice zippered neoprene storage bag for the pump and accessories.

With more guys gearing up for the National, I thought this would be a good thread to resurrect as people start planning for long voyages.

I have used this pump several times, and it makes topping off tires very easy.  I personally use my SAE electric gear ports to plug in the compressor, and it works very well.

I highly recommend.

gr

Attachments

• mini-pro.jpg
    mini-pro.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
These work great and are definitely worth carrying with you along with a small pump,they saved me from a big headache on a recent trip when I got a nice shiny 1" deck screw in my new rear tire in the north woods.the plug I used is still in there 8000 miles later which I don't recommend doing but trying to make it to my next tire change.ive used them numerous times with zero leakage for way too many miles.

I tried using a buddies Stop-n-Go plug kit (actually my buddy did), but we had no success with the mushroom plug holding tire's air. It worked fine for him on his bike several thousand miles ago. I believe we actually made the hole in mine worse/bigger using this tool. I hear from some that Dyna Plug is preferred, but that may be a matter of opinion. Dunno. For now, I have a new tire on order because I couldn't salvage my current one.

I can't discern if the prior post was in praise of the "s&G" plugs, or the pump thing.. all I can say it the PUMP, is the bomb, and recommend it, along with many others.. as for the S&G plug system.. well.. i ain't going there again,

Stop n go, mushroom plugs, dyna plugs, meh.  I have always used gummy worms with plenty of glue and a slime pump.  Never failed me, never any issues, repaired over a dozen tires over the years.  Now tell me why I need to try something different!