• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stove top knob stuck on RSS

marinick14716

2009 C14. This afternoon I went to get fuel. Turned the black stove knob all the way to the right to RSS, as I've been doing for the last three months of delightful ownership. After turning all the way to the right, to RSS, the knob would NOT come out. Tried it several times, but to no avail, turning it to OFF, then ON, then RSS several times. Would not come out.

Fortunately, the key on the fob worked just fine, and I was able to open the tank, fuel the bike, "click" it down, and remove the key. Any ideas? New batteries on both fobs. Both work just fine for starting the bike, and both will allow the knob to turn to RSS, but knob is still stuck. I guess I'm lucky I can start the bike and fuel it, but I'd rather have the knob out upon demand. Oh, well....

Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD

they get sticky I guess. First time I tried to remove the one from my 2013 in 2017...it was a no go! Finally had to get medieval on it with plastic pry tools and it came out, could have been the first time! Put a little SilGlyde on it and now I remove it once a month, no problems.

The stove keys will bend very easily. And will be difficult to remove. You could have slightly bent it last time you got gas. I've had mine out with no problems hundreds of times. First time I let someone else do it they bent it in the gas cap.

The stove keys will bend very easily. And will be difficult to remove. You could have slightly bent it last time you got gas. I've had mine out with no problems hundreds of times. First time I let someone else do it they bent it in the gas cap.

Yeah, maybe I inadvertently bent the stove knob last time I got gas. Still, the knob works just fine from lock to off to on, all the way to RSS, and back again. A bit frustrating, but at least I can open the gas cap with the key fixed to the fob. I have a 2009, so I have two fully functional fobs, both of which work just fine with the gas cap -- except being able to remove it off RSS. I appreciate your input, and ZXtasy's. :)

Last edited:
Time to get some keys made. I keep a key in the bag lock all the time that I use for the tank. I haven't had the ignition key out for years.

ZXtasy is 100% correct. Crud builds up in the slot and makes it difficult to take the key out. There was a thread on the forum about this awhile back...

And kzz1king is not alone. Many of us have made extra keys for the bags that we use for the gas lock, so we dont HAVE to take the stove key to unlock those locks.

There's a thread on the forum about extra keys as well....

I guess I'm going to live with having the fob keys open the gas cap. I have a 2009, which means I have two identical fobs, each with a key.

FTB530, I tried your suggestion several times, right from the start. Knob did not come out.

I'll check the forum threads you guys suggest. I thank you all for your comments. :)

I guess I'm going to live with having the fob keys open the gas cap. I have a 2009, which means I have two identical fobs, each with a key.

FTB530, I tried your suggestion several times, right from the start. Knob did not come out.

I'll check the forum threads you guys suggest. I thank you all for your comments. :)
I have had a difficult time getting mine out a few times, good reminder for me to lube it again along with the other locks

You can keep a radio knob key in the seat key receptical so is does not stick up and get kicked and is more or less hidden.

I had a locksmith make me 3 keys. One stays in the glovebox for the seat. The other 2 remain in the bags unless I determine I need more security.
I pulled my key out of the ignition. Easy peasy and it's been in there a long time.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_195118131.jpg
    PXL_20211008_195118131.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20211008_195100685.jpg
    PXL_20211008_195100685.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 110
Riding today in Virginia and managed to pull the knob out. Go figure. I'll use the key in the fob to open the gas tank from now on. I thank all of you again. Yes, I lubed it when I got home. :) ;)

Riding today in Virginia and managed to pull the knob out. Go figure. I'll use the key in the fob to open the gas tank from now on. I thank all of you again. Yes, I lubed it when I got home. :) ;)
I had someone play with the stovepipe key in the ignition at a rest stop. “Ahh flashy looking bike, key is in it let’s try it out.” Some people just can’t leave well enough alone…

When I came back out to leave the rest stop the stovepipe key was still in the ignition but it has clearly been fooled with and was ****-eyed in the ignition, I thought for certain I was screwed…. Pushed the key in and turned like normal, except felt crunch crunch crunch as I turned key back and forth and key would not release either.

After a few times using it all went back to normal… Bike always started no problem there but the key not releasing and rough feel then suddenly all works like normal sounds quite similar to your experience.

Y'all are making wanna go out and lube my ignition lock....lol.

Lube it or lose it......hey ted, feel free to use that line....lol

why not get a keyless gas cap? this fits my 08 just fine.

I had someone play with the stovepipe key in the ignition at a rest stop. “Ahh flashy looking bike, key is in it let’s try it out.” Some people just can’t leave well enough alone…

When I came back out to leave the rest stop the stovepipe key was still in the ignition but it has clearly been fooled with and was ****-eyed in the ignition, I thought for certain I was screwed…. Pushed the key in and turned like normal, except felt crunch crunch crunch as I turned key back and forth and key would not release either.

After a few times using it all went back to normal… Bike always started no problem there but the key not releasing and rough feel then suddenly all works like normal sounds quite similar to your experience.

Mav thanks for that keyless gas cap link, I just ordered it, the key is a PITA.
If anybody touched my bike BTW I'd pepper spray them in the face.
Nick
2014 C-14

Mav thanks for that keyless gas cap link, I just ordered it, the key is a PITA.
If anybody touched my bike BTW I'd pepper spray them in the face.
Nick
2014 C-14
I keep the extra o ring/gasket in my accessory tray. hasn't leaked yet

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_144416_651.jpg
    IMG_20211009_144416_651.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 105
Dont know about y'all, but unless i park my bike in a secured building EVERY time i park it, and dont leave it unattended for more than 30 minutes, id me concerned abiut someone draining/sucking it empty or worse contaminating the fuel.

There are assh-/@s ought there folks, men and women, who when slighted by the smallest indiscretion you have made either deliberately or by accident, will seek vengeance....

Whether we like it or not, by riding we have become ambassadors for the motorcycle community . If ive offended someone accidentally i try to show my contrition. But if im not aware of it, i certainly want whats mine locked up...

I had someone bring me a bike that the knob would not come out on in the FSS position. I had to grab it with plies (wrapped in a towel) and pull HARD to remove it. It finally came out. The owner had never removed it in all the years he owned the bike, and didn't even know it was supposed to come out. After inserting and removing it a few times, along with a VERY SMALL amount of lightweight lube, it came out easier.

The stove knob key was indeed bent, which explains why I had trouble taking it out of the ignition. It goes back in with no problem, and I can still turn to ON and OFF. I'll be using the fob key from now on. Thank again, all.

3,500 miles in less than 3 months on my "new" 2009 C14. Nine years and 98,000 miles on my 2002 C10 -- great bike, but this C14 is oh, so much better....

LIKE: "3,500 miles in less than 3 months on my "new" 2009 C14. Nine years and 98,000 miles on my 2002 C10 -- great bike, but this C14 is oh, so much better...."