• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Strange handling on slow corners

jamie1979

Noticed that my bike really wants to turn the bars into the corner on slow corners (1st gear). Tires are the oem Bridgestones, fairly new, maybe 1500 miles, they were on the bike when I bought it, second set, but I can’t say the exact mileage. Front is already starting to get a raised ridge in the middle. The feeling is when you lean into the corner the bars just want to go full lock. Is this a tire issue? Taking hands off the bars doesn’t give any shaking and it goes fairly straight. I’m looking to replace with Dunlop RS2, is that  a wise choice? Thanks!

Hello Jamie  If just a tire issue .  1st thing when you get the bike is ditch the Battle axes Worst tire ever OEM wise IMHO

It sounds to me like the geometry of the bike has been changed somehow?  First thing to check is "cold"air pressure, check it when the bike has been sitting for a couple hour.  Recommended front and rear on the bike is 42psi.  Some like to run a couple (2-3 psi) lower.  Check to make sure you have a 120/70 ZR17 on the front and a 190/50 ZR17 on the rear.  PO could have put different size tires on that could affect turn in.  The last thing that I can think of is the top of the forks should be about  1-2mm above the top triple clamp.  Maybe someone raised them up? 

Very similar symptom when I bought mine. Someone had put lowering links on but left the forks in original position. Seemed like anything I did under 5-10 mph the bike just wanted to fall over. Put factory links back on it and resolved it a great bit. After fork service and new shoes it was a lot better!  Good luck....

I’m going to check air pressures, and give everything a once over, I’ve been able to find RoadSmart 2 for an amazing deal, so I’ll probably do that also.

The new reissued RS2's have had good reviews. I ordered a set my self. BUT the RS3's have been simply amazing.  Wet weather performance is very good. I went to a COG rally here in the Northwet, raining pretty good for the east side of the state. The front had been recently installed with out a chance to scrub in. No problems. The tires stuck like glue. The RS 3's gave me a good feel and confidence in the corners. Recently I was on my way to Wenatchee for treatment. I went around a car who was under the speed limit in a passing zone. The car sped up and I found myself in a turn at 100+ tar.  snakes and all with no problem. The seat cover remained on the seat. The OEM tires this bike came with was caw caw. Changing to the Michlin PR 2 though 4 GT for me was a game changer over the OEM. But the RS 3's have been an improvement for me in the feel and confidence  Stay safe' Tim

Tires are the oem Bridgestones

The two happiest days of my relationship with my 2015 was getting the bike and then getting better tires. I use Dunlop Road Smart 3. It went from a bit wonky to pure magic.  There are other good tires but the ones that come with the bike are freaking awful.

I recently test rode one with a cupped OEM stone. I'm sure it's a night and day difference but I couldn't believe how weird it handled, it just wanted to go straight all the time.  All of that goes away with a real tire right?

RyanP said:
I recently test rode one with a cupped OEM stone. I'm sure it's a night and day difference but I couldn't believe how weird it handled, it just wanted to go straight all the time.  All of that goes away with a real tire right?

YES!

TimR said:
The new reissued RS2's have had good reviews. I ordered a set my self. BUT the RS3's have been simply amazing.  Wet weather performance is very good. I went to a COG rally here in the Northwet, raining pretty good for the east side of the state. The front had been recently installed with out a chance to scrub in. No problems. The tires stuck like glue. The RS 3's gave me a good feel and confidence in the corners. Recently I was on my way to Wenatchee for treatment. I went around a car who was under the speed limit in a passing zone. The car sped up and I found myself in a turn at 100+ tar.  snakes and all with no problem. The seat cover remained on the seat. The OEM tires this bike came with was caw caw. Changing to the Michlin PR 2 though 4 GT for me was a game changer over the OEM. But the RS 3's have been an improvement for me in the feel and confidence  Stay safe' Tim

!00% agreement Over 9000 miles on my set Have new set about to mount again. Went through the same transition Michelin PR2 through GT. RS111 are amazing!

Diz
I can't believe your getting 9000k ! Mine only went 5600k and they were completely shot.
How do you do that? Ride on air?
Nick
2014 C-14

UPDATE!! Had Dunlop RS2 mounted today, HUGE difference! Handles like a motorcycle should. Thanks for all the help.

TimR said:

I'm curious about the handling of the RS3's as they wear. Is the handling relatively consistent to the end? I might consider premium tires if they wear longer and ride well til the end.  How does the front look when worn out? Squared off or still pretty round?

Pete

Pete
I've gone through the RS3 and the RS2. Both rears wore fairly evenly.
Both fronts the sides wore smooth before the center giving a V shape on the tire, if that makes sense.
The RS2's are cheap thou! and while they still had rubber on 'em, are very nice.
FWIW my RS2 front wore out way before the rear, first time thats happened in my 40 yr career of riding.,
I'm no Marc Marquez BTW I'd say 95% of my riding is straight line.
I've had my C-14 for 15 months now and can get the wheels off easily now, I've got a friend with a machine that likes to mount and balance tires, thank god, my local dealer charges 180 to mount and balance 2 tires on the bike. Thats too much for me to pay.
Nick
2014 C-14

Thanks for the info Nick. Yeah, I learned to change my tires. $180 is steep! Still working on tweaks to my Harbor Freight tire changer.  Yes the center is a harder compound on the dual compound tires. How did they feel the last 2-3000 miles? Still predictable through turns or did lean in get a bit squirrely?

Pete, I can't give you the mileage on my RS 3's. But they seem to wear well and I have not noticed any decline in the way the bike handles.

I used to be a PR guy going through PR 2's, 3's and 4's. Got great tire mileage with these. Had to air them up reguarly. Then I put on a set of RS 3's. WOW what a diffence for me anyways. Confidence in the corners was a huge improvement. I enjoy the C14 again.

So now my thinking is what is more imortant for me? Mileage or handling? Handling wins. I'm on a fixed income but will spring for tires a little more often if I grt to enjoy the bike.

And the bike will turn at slow speeds handel bar lock to lock.