• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sub-Frame Red Thread Locker

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Removing the sub-frame brackets for the valve inspection I’ve encountered some very tough to remove bolts due to factory installed red thread locker. Difficulty is not due to any load / binding of brackets on bolts; all bolts eventually came out without any discernible damage to threads either bolt or threaded frame.
Placing the bolts back into the frame for safekeeping I have noted these are not going back in easily at all, considering the relatively low torque value accurate reassembly is not possible with current state
Service manual makes no notes about tapping threads to remove old thread locker but I see no way other than taping the threads and wire brushing or replacing fasteners.
Red thread locker I have read heat is a commonly used, anyone do this?
Any thoughts?
  1. Heat for breaking red thread locker
  2. Tapping threads to clean
  3. Red locker vs Blue on assembly
  4. Bolt replacement
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Wayne

Any thread locker will soften with heat, red just takes a bit more heat. I keep a
small wire brush in my tool box that I can put into my battery drill and run in
and out of them threaded holes. Don't know where the brush came from.

Any thread locker will soften with heat, red just takes a bit more heat. I keep a
small wire brush in my tool box that I can put into my battery drill and run in
and out of them threaded holes. Don't know where the brush came from.
Service Manual gave no indication heat was necessary so I went without it and again no apparent damage just some squeaking and squawking.

For pre-assembly: I like the idea of a chucking up a pipe brush in lieu of or before attempting tapping - although never had an issue, always nervous with a tap.

Service Manual gave no indication heat was necessary so I went without it and again no apparent damage just some squeaking and squawking.

For pre-assembly: I like the idea of a chucking up a pipe brush in lieu of or before attempting tapping - although never had an issue, always nervous with a tap.
I use a small brass brush on the bolts and I tap the holes. Using the correct tap, it won't be an issue. Then blow out the hole. someone here said the Japanese red is the same as our blue.

I use a small brass brush on the bolts and I tap the holes. Using the correct tap, it won't be an issue. Then blow out the hole. someone here said the Japanese red is the same as our blue.
Appreciate the feedback on tapping and interesting on the Red/Blue theory. They must of had extra on the line day my machine was built ... goop galore.

Once I tried to re-install one of these bolts without cleaning all the threads and I broke the bolt on installation. Now when I do this I use a wire brush on a grinder for the bolts and a thread healer for the threads on the frame. "Thread Healer" is not the right name, however it is different from a thread tap device in that it does not cut threads, but removes gunk and straightens bent or mis-aligned threads.

Hope this helps.