• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Summer Rally in Republic WA take #2

Tim R

Motovetro already did a bunch of leg work and I hope we are not horning in on his Rally.

Ladies and gent's I would like to introduce The Summer Rally in Republic as "Gun Smoke"

The idea is to take some time and have a nice ride from Republic to Brewster. Just a couple of miles south of Brewster is a dirt road, I know, but my C14 was well behaved on it called Indian Dan Canyon. Going up Indian Dan Canyon we will have access to private property.

If folks want to bring their shootin irons and burn a little powder this is the place. Be aware this will not be a free for all. We will have a range master to keep an eye on unsafe firearm handling and the sort. This is because well, we want every one to ride their bikes home, not in the ambulance.  ^-^

The plan is to have fun and maybe some braggin rights. NorthWest Area Top Shot?

The property owners do have some horses on the property.

I have a couple of items I plan on letting those who don't have something to shoot at least get to shoot a little. I can't afford to have unlimited 06 and 22 at the site.

I have a local (sort of) gun shop who will order ammo at a reduced rate. It's not going to be like shooting a 22 but they won't make the month's rent on selling a box of ammo. 223 is a little hard to get right now too. Kim will need at least a two week lead in order to get ammo here on time. (orders 13 days before the shoot could be iffy.) Ammo can be picked up on the ride to Brewster if need be. In fact we might just have to make a stop there. No real services though.

Please PM me with your ammo needs. I will pass the ammo requests to Kim. I might even be able to PM you back with the damages. I will of course need your name a how much of what caliber you will need.

The shoot day will be on Augest 4th. It will take approximately 1.5 hours from Republic to the range depending on stops.(Of course there are long ways of getting there.) I propose a Burger BBQ on the way back to Republic at my residence which is in Brewster. It could also be at the American Legion Post in Brewster, will have to do some checking. This would depend on the number of registrations for the Rally.

There is some good riding to be had in the area. Oroville has a Burger joint which has $10.00 burgers and worth the $10.00 if you like juicy burgers.  I will try to have more details and answer's to questions as they come up.

If some one has some thing they want to do for the shoot, please speak up. The more help the better.

TimR

oldsawfiler said:
Ah? date?

I'm Sorry, I thought it was understood this was the Second Summer Rally in Republic which is on the calender for Aug 4th, 5th and 6th. But no worries I had to ask too.......But I knew what I was thinking.  :motonoises:  TimR

TimR:  Interested.  Will be in pre-season gearing mode for the new school year then but might be able to get away that weekend, much later in Aug is a no-go.  Is this a Fri-Sat-Sun or Sat-Sun-Mon event?  Really nice riding in that area.  Like the theme and entertainment idea too.

JathkaJoe

One thing I do want to make clear is there is not a requirement to attend the shoot. Shooting will be available to those who so desire. There are some very nice rides in the area and can go from dang hot to cooler in 18 miles up SR 20 from Republic.

If there is enough interest, next years gun smoke will be at a for real range with several loaner rifles and pistol's available to try out. I am bringing a couple of items, some more fun than others IMHO. For ammo requirements on my stuff, PM me. If you are on SR97 and going through Brewster on your way To Republic You can store a firearm at my residence if you so desire. It would be easy to pick back up on the way to the property.

And again, I can get ammo for you at cost or slightly above cost. The store does need a 2 week lead time. PM me with requirements.

Questions? Comments? Upsets?

jathkajoe said:
TimR:  Interested.  Will be in pre-season gearing mode for the new school year then but might be able to get away that weekend, much later in Aug is a no-go.  Is this a Fri-Sat-Sun or Sat-Sun-Mon event?  Really nice riding in that area.  Like the theme and entertainment idea too.

JathkaJoe

The original Summer Rally was for 3 days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with adding the shoot on Saturday morning if desired.  If you look at the post "Summer Rally" with Motovetro as the author it will give info on lodging since we're horning in on his Summer Rally. That Post is only a couple ones below this one. 

This is still the Summer Rally in Republic with an added twist on one of the days, Saturday.

How about saturday in Republic at high noon. Novel idea. Charlie has some literature. I figure on a nice ride to and fom over the North Cascades, with some local roads on saturday that most of us rarely ride. I know a number of roads but it's your backyard. I'm okay with shooting but before the drinking and shooting I like to park the bike, just to be safe! Then lookout varmints.

I'm okay with shooting but before the drinking and shooting I like to park the bike, just to be safe!

I could not agree with you more and this is how I do it. I personally would not be real happy with mixing gun powder with alcohol.

We Have 15 rooms reserved at the Prospector Inn. These are for Fridaythe  3rd Of August and Saturday 4Th of August. I would expect most to be going home on Sunday Morning.

I did not get a return call from Brewster City hall, but if you want to tent it, there is a nice RV park with tent space. There is a new restroom facility (well a couple years old) and only those paying "rent" get the combo. Seems like a rent space is $10.00 a night. As soon as City Hall calls I'll pass on the number.

Room rates: Prospector:  Reservation toll free is 1 888-6480.Basic for single queen, $51 for 1 person, 59 for 2 persons. Plus about $6.00 or $8.00 more for each additional person. Single super duper  King, $75.00 for 1, 81.00 for 2. Two beds, 79.00 for 2 plus $6.00 for each additional person. There is a pet room, $64.00 for 2 plus another $12.00 for pet. This comes with boiled eggs,, toast, bagels creamed cheese. For a large group they go down stairs and scramble eggs. All non smoking rooms. Looks like sharing rooms might be a better way to go. Over flow if any might be able to get a room at the Northern Inn reservation number is 509 775-3371  is a block down the street. If coming in on East Bound SR 20, you can't miss either if you have your eye balls open as you come into town.  I had a hard time reading my own notes as the paper was pretty small. just be aware of my disclaimer.

Saturday  will be the shooting part but there is some great riding to be had in the area. The shooting part will be outside of Brewster which is about a 2 hour ride from Republic. There will be a Connie friendly dirt road for the last few miles. If my C14 goes on it nice, the C10's should not have a problem. You might be able to make better time, but keep in mind there are 4 new Baby Troopers in the area. These guys will be gun ho and might be a tad inti mindated by a biker with a firearm.  Baby Troopers stop everything. They are finshed with training and now out on their own. These guys will be on State Highways. I'll let my Trooper buddies know to let the Baby's know the COG guys are on a Gun Smoke Ride and non are desperado's. The older cops won't bat an eye because in Okanogan and Ferry counties, well most everyone has a gun. Okanogan allows gun racks in the pick up's back window unlike the wet side.
TimR

911Boss said:
I am planning on attending, anyone interested in splitting a room?

I would love to, but if my fun budget doesn't get augmented somehow I'll be scoping out a campground.

Reminders for Gun Smoke Ride.

If you need ammo at a reduced rate let me know. The gun shop, Daves Gun and Pawn, who will be ordering is in Riverside, WA. Riverside is between Republic and Brewster on SR-97. Kim needs at least two week lead time. Kim is my favorite gun lady and is well known in the area to have the better prices. There is a Wal Mart and Big R in Omak. Kim is better on some things, these stores are better in others. I mention this in case you don't want to transport ammo half way across the state.

If you wish to leave your shootin iron at my residence and not store it in the motel, this would be fine. I live in Brewster which is where is shoot is going to happen. My dog would enjoy seeing all of you.....not.  But the offer is there.

To get to the property, there will be some dirt road to travel. I have been on this road on my 09 14 and it behaved well. I don't know how the 10's are on dirt but the 14's can be a handful. I went up the road with no problem. If you think you will need to hose off the bike after being in the dirt, I have a hose with lots of water.

If you don't want to get a motel and want to camp, I have a back yard which will hold a few tents.  My dog, Toby, A party Cocker Spaniel, Has different browns and blond spots, might want to visit and get some friendly pats on the head, but his is an inside dog so you won't be bothered all night.

Republic is a less than 100 mile ride from Brewster and takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending which way you go up or down. There is some really good roads to ride. I will get together with Charlie and maybe post some routes up. This should be a good time. The gal who owns the property is a young sweet thing, gun nut and is a very good shot. 

I'll be looking to leave my trailer, an AR-15, mini 14, 10-22 long rifle and a few hand guns at your place.  Hopefully by then I've scraped together enough pocket change to split a room with somebody.

Wayne and I will be splitting a room.  I sense a really good time is coming up. :06:  Don't forget your shootin' iron(s).

It appears the property owners might be getting cold feet as the time nears. But no worries. Since there is such a small number who have regisured at this time, we will just move to my previous employeers range (I got to keep a key) located a mile or so north of Brewster.

This would mean no dirt till you pulled off the road to go the short distance to the staging area.

I will post up directions to which ever place it is in the next couple of days. It would be fun goimg up the side of the hill to shoot but the old range is closer and easier to set up. TimR

Closer?  No dirt road?  Police protection?  :great: What more could we ask for besides free ammo?

What will we need in the way of targets?

I have just booked what they say is the last room at the Prospector Inn.
I'm sharing with Jack, which will be a first, I'm hoping he does not snore louder than me!  :)

I plan to ride over Hwy20 from Seattle and bag Patterson Lake Dam on the way over.
Then on Saturday rather than shoot up the countryside LoL I'll be doing a loop over to Owhi Dam then Long Lake Dam which will be my final dam for this years Dam Tour.

Coming back to Seattle I may stay at the cabin in Cle Elum and do a days dirtbiking on Monday, its a tough life...  :rotflmao:

Anyone wanting to come with, is welcome to join me.

Looking forward to the ride, the rally and meeting ya'll

CP.

I will have some targets and steel plates to shoot at. No Police protection. No free ammo except I will have a little M2 ball for those who think they would like to at least fire a M1 Garand or say they did. Targets can be from 5 yards to 100 yards. I will have some balloons to shoot at too, might even be moving. If you have some targets to bring please bring them. A wantabe Cogger will be helping and I think it should be fun.

Colin, there was supposed to 15 rooms reserved and last I looked like 4 people registered for the event.

After the shoot we're going to fire up Tim's grill and burn some meat.  :103: If lunch in Brewster on a Saturday afternoon sounds good, show up at Tim's house.  He's listed in the handbook, but if you don't have one handy (like me at the moment) catch up with me in Republic before Saturday morning and I'll give you the address.  If you e-mail me before lunch, I'll e-mail you back with the location.  If you wait until after lunch, I'll tell you how it tasted.

The ones you got at last years regional. Another mini-rally in the books. Although not as bad as Stevens, North Cascades is picking up more traffic.

Had a great time, met some new folks and saw some old acquaintances. Seems like a good time was had by all. I managed 827 miles and other than the heat, have no complaints.

Bike is just getting awesomer, just under 3000 miles in just over 5 weeks. Hopefully I will wear out the stock tires in time for the crappy weather and can put on some PR3's that I keep hearing great things about.

I think if we were to do this again I would get a friend to help me with the use of a regular range with him in charge, I would also book a motel in Twisp.....with the idea if ya didn't book a room at least a week before, tuft cow pies. (Cow Pies were for Colin) The Range would be in Okanogan or Riverside with some shade available. Us east siders forget you west siders don't do well with the higher normal eastside temps. Might look at doing  this either a little sooner in the season or a little later in the season.

Those who shot seemed to have a fair time. We traded some guns now and then to try. I let my custom Caspian 1911 out of my sight for a few minutes too.

Wayne shot one of my m1 Garands. The particular M1 is only about 3 pieces from being WW2 correct with the lock bar re aer sight and narrow front sight. This rifle also came with a un cut op rod which is now safely put away. 

The great news is we gained a new member with a old beat up Connie.

Those who attended had a good time.  Nobody crashed, everybody got a door prize, and we all made it home (I hope).  Al, did you make it OK?