• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Super Strong Rack - Combining Phil's Rack with a GIVI SR410

Illo Tabaar

As far I have read in the forums, for added strength to the rear of luggage rack people have used two different solutions.  One option has been the Phil’s rack.  The other option has been the OEM rack, along with a GIVI SR410 for added support in the back. So basically for added strength it comes down to Phil’s rack vs. GIVI SR410.

Since I usually use a very large and heavy touring case and since I've experienced a broken rack on another bike in the middle of a long ride, I'd like to beef up the rack on my newly purchased 2012 C14 as much as I can.  So here’s how I’m thinking of combining the two ideas.  I don’t think this has been done before.

The top part of GIVI SR410 is supposed to bolt on top of the OEM rack, as shown on their instruction sheet below.

https://m.fortnine.ca/media/pdf/givi/SR410.pdf

My thinking is to get rid of the OEM rack and instead use two spacer bars, one on each side, to make up for the height of the OEM rack.  For the spacer bars I can use Phil's rails.  The rails would take the place of the OEM rack on each side and would be more or less at the same height as the OEM rack.  The rails will be secured to the support by the OEM bolts.  The top of SR410 would lay on top of the rails.  Phil’s rack would sit on top of  the SR410, which in turn is laying on top of the rail.  I would have to drill two new holes on top of SR410 on each side, as the stock hole positions cannot be used any more because the stock bolts are used to secure the rails to the side bars. I would have to use two additional bolts on each side to secure Phil's rack, through the SR410, to the rails.  I would have to ask Phil if he can provide four bolts, similar to the stock bolts, for this purpose.  I would also get the Motech kit from Phil.  With this arrangement Phil's rack would have to be moved 5/8" off the stock position towards either the front, or the back, as the stock holes are occupied in the rails by the stock bolts.  There are already threaded holes in Phil’s rails at 5/8” increments.

I've been in touch with Phil and he's been very helpful.  I haven't run this latest idea by him yet.  I'd appreciate any comments you might have on this idea.

Thanks,

Illo  aka  Fred

I’ll have to give this one a think....
One thing that everyone might not understand is the fact the grab-rails are made of thin, hollow plastic, NOT metal. The rack mounting spacers have a cylindrical portion that extends down through the grab-rail and sits against the nuts welded to the reflector bracket. That prevents the grab-rails from being crushed by over tightening the bolts. The SR-410 uses the stock rack and has the installer reverse the spacers placing them upside-down. That leaves the grab-rails without the internal support & susceptible to being damaged. The ASR-410 also does not increase the load limit above the stock rack and loading the plastic grab-rails above the limit may be asking for problems. I’ve never installed one but it would appear that by tying a metal rack to the support arm of the SR-410 (Without the stock rack) AND supplying longer spacers that run from the reflector bracket up to the metal rack should reinforce the rack better than just a rack alone.

I”ll contact “ILLO” directly to see If I can make what he needs.

Any input from folks who have the SR-410 AND a metal rack?????

Does anyone know what the final consensus was on using Phil’s rack together with the Givi SR-410 bracket?  Perhaps Illo or Phil could provide an update on this topic? 

Thanks,

Mark

I started this topic thinking that the SR410 is just a bracing support for the rack, which should be bought separately.  I was wrong.  SR410 comes with it's own rack, which is very nice.  In fact this system would not work with any other rack.  Everything comes in the package and nothing else is needed.