• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Planning thread for the '17 Nat's Mo Twisties

OMoaC

So current planning is for myself and the counterweight to drag the toy box with the 14 Hunney enclosed to MO for the Nat's and camp. Working on the overnight stops en route and back. SW members are welcome to come and hang on the overnighters there and back. SW HQ should be in the campground. Watch Ya'll doin'? Auggie the Cogger Doggie and Reagan the lump should also be in attendance. What say you? Should I bring the KiLleR?

Hey Mark, Still looking for work and not sure I'll be able to make the national. We'll see how things develop. 
Ted

I am interested said The Wizard to the Old Man,who with great wisdom began a plan for a quest.  Jerry

I will be leaving from Monterey CA with just enough time to fast camp each night to get to MO Nat 1 day early.

After Kamiah ID I'm going back down to Monterey for a couple more days with my buddy, then making tracks for MO.

notsluggo said:
How's come you're going to Mississippi?  You know something the rest of us don't?
Damn your proof reading skills.  :-[ Corrected  :beerchug:

Have you got your route to Mo-zury mapped out?  Staying south - or maybe heading through Colorful Colorado?  Identified your travel dates? 
Against my better judgement - but you and the CW are welcome to enjoy stay a night at Casa Sherrill (where the doggies can romp) and I'll treat the two of you to some fine Messican food for dinner.
I haven't yet committed to the national - but may pass through there on my way to/from Arkansas to visit my dad.

I'll be going (from Mesa AZ), as MO is my home state.  It is a wonderful place...to be from!  I've never attended the National Rally, and am looking forward to it!

My route from Monterey CA to National -

MontMO_zpsyi1swzsn.jpg

notsluggo said:
Have you got your route to Mo-zury mapped out?  Staying south - or maybe heading through Colorful Colorado?  Identified your travel dates? 
Against my better judgement - but you and the CW are welcome to enjoy stay a night at Casa Sherrill (where the doggies can romp) and I'll treat the two of you to some fine Messican food for dinner.
I haven't yet committed to the national - but may pass through there on my way to/from Arkansas to visit my dad.
Ha HAH! That "Against my better judgment" thing has sent more men to prison and divorce court than booze  :)) :)) :)). Thanx for the offer Bruce. No solid layout yet but I may be swayed now. If so I may be able to haul some luggage for you if needed. Probably something closer to JR's route though. I'll keep posted.  :great: :beerchug:

My tentative plan: depart Tucson on Friday the 9th, after work, probably 2PM or so.  Bike will be on trailer.  Spend Fri night in Las Cruces with family. Depart LC early Sat headed for Oklahoma City.  Sat night in OKC.  Sunday, stash truck and trailer, ride bike to rally site.  Eat, sleep, ride, party the whole week.  Depart rally Friday whenever, headed for Tulsa or OKC, depending on attitude.  Sat AM, retrieve truck and trailer.  Load bikes.  Attend AMA Flat Track Mile race in OKC Sat afternoon and evening.  Beat feet for Tucson Sunday.

Any COGGER willing to jump aboard is welcome. Have extra spot on trailer for another bike. Would appreciate the company, help with driving and shared gas expense.

To add on to Tom's post. If you need gear hauling out and back let me know. We can do. Get your junk to Henderson NV and we can bring with.  :beerchug:

kevingore said:
When is going to take place :))
Rally start June 12. At 500 miles per day 3 days out/3 days back (From Hendo NV). Gonna be a hoot as always. My 5th Nat. Every one has been worth the travel time and expense. Nothing like seeing a parking lot filled with several hundred Connies.

Old Man on a Connie said:
To add on to Tom's post. If you need gear hauling out and back let me know. We can do. Get your junk to Henderson NV and we can bring with.  :beerchug:

Expect a red cooler full of camping gear on your front porch early June.

Thanks brotha,

Still trying to decide if my wife will be coming or not. If she comes, we will take the truck and notsluggo's trailer. If my wife does not go, I will ride out. I have not really thought about a route or how long to take to get there and back.

And I still need to call for reservations - have not done that yet.  :)

Never mind - not going to the National this year. Just looked at the hotel site and the rooms are $210 a night. Not worth it. If I feel like taking the time to figure out camping, I might reconsider. But I imagine I have waited too long for that too.  :mad:
On the bright side, that gives me more time to focus on SW and NW events this year!  :beerchug:

denver6 said:
Never mind - not going to the National this year. Just looked at the hotel site and the rooms are $210 a night. Not worth it. If I feel like taking the time to figure out camping, I might reconsider. But I imagine I have waited too long for that too.  :mad:
On the bright side, that gives me more time to focus on SW and NW events this year!  :beerchug:
:beerchug: Just saw the 2017 thread. Gary sez there are still rooms available with the discount (I think 125 night) have to call direct though.

Looks like me, the counter weight and the doggies will be dragging the toy box out. Still abit confused about the camping though. Booking alternates JIC.

I made a request via rvshare.com to rent a 2017 Starcraft AR-One 17TH toy hauler. We'll see if the owner accepts my request. If so, looks like I have my trip plans finalized.  >:D >:D >:D

notsluggo said:
denver6 said:
Ok, all set! Toyhauler secured. Ready to go!  :great: :great: :great: :great:

I presume this means you won't be borrowing my Kendon?

Nope - thanks for the offer.

But my toyhauler plans have changed a little. Instead of renting one, I bought one. One problem though - it might be bigger than I should be towing with my Tacoma. I got a Forest River Greywolf 19RR. My Tacoma should be able to tow 6400 lbs. The 19RR has a dry weight of 4180 lbs. I figured I could load the Connie in it and still keep it at, or under, 6400 lbs.

On thing I did not count on is the "sail" effect of the large front surface area.  :mad:

I bought the toyhauler in Nashville and towed it home to Colorado mostly without incident. However, coming across Nebraska (I had a detour through northern MO to pick up my wife from her sister's place), I was driving into a strong headwind. It was pretty hard to hold speed at less than 3500 - 4000 RPM. That really made me re-think the large trailer. If I still have it in June, I will drive it back out to MO for the rally. But with any luck, I'll sell it before then and get something smaller - probably not a toyhauler though.

I have some good pics on Craigslist if anyone wants to get a "new" toyhauler at a good price. I drove out to Nashville to pick it up there because they had the best price I could find within 1500 miles of Denver. https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/6071152165.html

Either way, we will be camping at the National in June.  :)

Well, as most have gathered the Old Man won't be able to attend the Nat this year. Why Mark Why? Enquiring minds want to know. Well, 'Cuase I'll be OTP!  :) I shall be enjoying alpine pass roads, stinky fermented fish in a can and German beer while you all enjoy some great roads and camaraderie in MO. Kinda Bummed, Kinda NOT! 1st Nat I've missed in 4 years. With that being said I am really proud of the participation shown on this thread. You folks will have a great time ( I have Never, Ever been disappointed at a National. The people are the best!). The NC area looks like they have it wired. So far it looks like we will have at least 2 AAD's attending. Fly the banner proudly and represent the SW area as it should be. OWNER of the finest roads in the USA! I shall be there in spirit for sure and be raising a cup to you my Friends. Looking forward to sharing stories.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD
2017 OTP Traveler