• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Regional 2016 - arriving early/staying late? DV riding?

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Since we now know the dates for this (thanks Old Man! :beerchug:) I can post this placeholder...

It's a little early for this type of planning, but I'm thinking of taking an extra riding day (or two) around the rally dates, just trying to figure out when.  My current plan is an extra day in Utah, which I've never ridden :-\  unless...  someone transiting the area is interested in a Death Valley ride, for instance on their way to/from the rally.

So post up here, if interested.  We'll see if an ancillary ride develops, in DV or Utah...  ;D

Caffeine man I live in cedar city. I,was,the " boots on the ground " as mark called it.at the last rallyI would be happy to go on a ride with you or others before the rally. Maybe go to some spots less seen. I'd need a date to get time off from work. Let me know. If I can do anything to help you or others be glad to do it.

Heh.  I'm the boots on the ground in DV.  Or as close as you can get.  Between us we have it covered.

scooter said:
Caffeine man I live in cedar city. I,was,the " boots on the ground " as mark called it.at the last rallyI would be happy to go on a ride with you or others before the rally. Maybe go to some spots less seen. I'd need a date to get time off from work. Let me know. If I can do anything to help you or others be glad to do it.

scooter, I think the approach for me will be to see if anyone wants to ride DV that hasn't done it before and I'll offer to guide.

If there's not much interest there, I will add an extra day in Cedar City.

How much notice will you need to time off from work?

A couple weeks would be great, but I can probably deal with less.ive never rode Death Valley , I need to do that I here it's great

scooter said:
A couple weeks would be great, but I can probably deal with less.ive never rode Death Valley , I need to do that I here it's great

A couple weeks is plenty of time.  I need about a month myself.  If there's no confirmed interest in DV by mid-August, I'll plan on heading up to Cedar City Thurs. and get there that night.  I'm already taking Friday off.  What did you have in mind for riding up there?

Without the extra day, my riding plan was going to be:
- Fri:  Ride in through Zion, including going up Zion Canyon Rd, then to Cedar City via 89 and 14.
- Sat:  "Mike's Loop" through Bryce, Escalante, Koosharem, Panguitch, etc.
- Sun: Back to Pahrump the western route through Enterprise, Gunlock, and Beaver Dam.
:motonoises:

Bump, because it is only 2 months to the RRR2!  :)

OK, I got Thursday, Friday, and Monday off from work.

I'm thinking I will go up to Cedar City on Thursday, then home Sunday or Monday.

Anyone transiting the area of DV and wants to ride, lemme know and we can see if plans can be made...

:motonoises:

Time getting closer for planning and not hearing a lot of DV interest, so...

My plan is to ride up Thursday, ride a long recon ride on Friday, TBD ride on Saturday, but short enough to be back in time for dinner, home on Sunday.

Thursday - Circling east, through Zion.
Friday - Mike's Loop.  Hey, where did that old RRR rally page go, with all the rides?
Saturday - TBD, depending on what others are doing.
Sunday - Some route back towards the west, like Utah route 56.
Monday - recover, or, if someone's still in the area and psyched, then DV.

Here's the route up I'm thinking about for Thursday:

Pahrump to Littlefield, AZ
Old Hwy 91 to Shivwits
Shivwits through St. George to Hurricane
Up Zion Canyon (Butler Gold Road!)
Back down to Rt. 9 and then east to Mt Carmel Junction (Gold!)
Up US-89 to Rt. 14
Rt. 14 East to Cedar City (Gold!)

https://goo.gl/maps/hKJdeQ3r7P42

326 miles  :motonoises:

[edited:  Wrong canyon - Zion instead of Kolob Res.]

CaffeineMan said:
Time getting closer for planning and not hearing a lot of DV interest, so...

My plan is to ride up Thursday, ride a long recon ride on Friday, TBD ride on Saturday, but short enough to be back in time for dinner, home on Sunday.

Thursday - Circling east, through Zion.
Friday - Mike's Loop.  Hey, where did that old RRR rally page go, with all the rides?
Saturday - TBD, depending on what others are doing.
Sunday - Some route back towards the west, like Utah route 56.
Monday - recover, or, if someone's still in the area and psyched, then DV.

Could come down in time to show you some great side roads to mikes loop I led last time if you want?

Stubby and I are coordinating for Friday.  Three of us for Mikes Loop on Friday, plus a little more, depending...

I should be up late Fri Afternoon but to set up. Ya'll have fun. That's what were doing this for  :great:

CaffeineMan said:
What's a good breakfast place in Cedar City?  Does the hotel have breakfast?
They do but I'm sure it's the usual hotel fare. There's a great place on the north side of main St. A little 4 table place and a counter. There's another I need to look up that's bigger. There's also a denny's on the corner of main and ????????????

Old Man on a Connie said:
CaffeineMan said:
What's a good breakfast place in Cedar City?  Does the hotel have breakfast?
They do but I'm sure it's the usual hotel fare. There's a great place on the north side of main St. A little 4 table place and a counter. There's another I need to look up that's bigger. There's also a denny's on the corner of main and ????????????
Main St Grill on the north side of main next to the Best Western. Sorry, it's a Sizzler on the corner. IHOP on the 56 and 15. Still looking for that other place.

Just a reminder, if you want a Red Rock n Rally event t-shirt,
you need to get your size/order in by August 29, 2016

more info here
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=47090

order form here
http://wanderingbackroads.com/cedarcity/

sample-back.jpg

sample-front.jpg

Red Rock 'n Rally T-shirts now available in 4X and 5X

But only in a Heather Gray 70% Cotton, 30% Polyester Blend shirt. It's a lighter slightly textured gray compared to the Smoke Gray of the all cotton for other sizes. They are on the order form.
[size=8pt](If someone want to change there order to go up a size let me know)

Size/Order Form: http://wanderingbackroads.com/cedarcity/[/size]

Stubby said:
Could come down in time to show you some great side roads to mikes loop I led last time if you want?

Stubby, thanks a lot for showing us around!!!  That was a great ride on Friday!

:beer chug: