• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tail of the saddle sore 1000 Dragon

smooth_operator

Making my way from SE Michigan to my Starting point in Middle Tennessee, I crossed Ohio on US 24 then Hit I69 to I65 then spent the night at my buddy's house in New Albany, IN outside Louisville. Not wanting to go through Louisville I took my friends advice and took SR 11 till I crossed the Ohio River at Mauckport and into Kentucky. 11 is a good motorcycle road. Not real fast but some nice curves and roller coaster hills. Pretty scenery also. After crossing the pretty blue bridge I made my way to Elizabethtown, KY and hopped on the super slab the rest of the way to my cabin.

Wanting to ride the dragon on a weekday, I left my cabin around 8:30pm Sunday Night. My first gas stop didn't give a receipt so I had to go three more miles to get my official iron butt starting gas receipt. Heading west on I40 I went to Jackson TN. I originally was going to do this leg at the end of the trip but decided to get it out of the way now. After being disappointed that the 24 hour Denny's closed at 8pm I choked down some gas station pizza, gassed up and headed east.

I40 on a late Sunday night was a dream to ride. Minimal traffic made the superslab an enjoyable experience and the curves and hills added to the fun. If only all Interstate runs could be this fun! The only cause for concern was when I narrowly missed a tiny frog making his way across the road. amazing how you can see something so far ahead if you're concentrating on the road.

Leaving I40 I took US 321 through Lenoir City and bypassing Maryville I took 335 to 411 to SR 129 which of course contains the famous tail of the dragon. There is a huge sign at the beginning of the dragon "MOTORCYCLES: HIGH ACCIDENT AREA NEXT 11 MILES" I took that to mean this was the beginning of the 318 curves! I arrived at dawn with the smokey mountain smoke over the lakes and hills. It was gorgeous! and sunrise on a Monday was the perfect time to go as I only passed one car and two bikes the entire time until deals gap.

The road is a blast to ride. Not really much scenery as you are in the woods almost the whole time. Do not let your mind wander on this road. It takes your full concentration. many curves are posted at 15mph. I wasn't looking for speed, just trying to ride it as smooth as possible. I was pleased in my riding that my tires only touched yellow paint once. Riding this road is also a workout! You're throwing your 700lb bike left then right then left then right over and over and over again. It stated to seem like a twilight zone episode after a while, "didn't I just ride this curve?"

Deals Gap didn't open till 9 so I took the obligatory dragon photo and headed on. Gassed up in Robbinsville and got on the Cherahola Skyway. Another technically challenging road but more spread out than the dragon and lots of beautiful views. I had forgotten how pretty the Smokey mountains are in the morning. I must go back when I have some time.

Exiting the mountains in Tellico Plains I almost panicked. What the hell was I thinking including 60 some miles of highly technical low speed riding in a long distance endurance run??? I had been on the road almost 12 hours and barely had 500 miles gone!! Uh Oh!

Riding North on I75, traffic was bad and it was getting hot. wouldn't have made it without my cooling vest. Every gas station I would soak it in water, put fresh ice in my camel back, splash water on my pants and sleeves and hit the road. This kept me real cool for about 45 minutes and tolerable for about 2 hrs. North of Knoxville traffic came to a halt so I got off, followed a couple of cagers for a 10 mile detour and luckily got back on a clear road. Only bad pucker moment was when a truck 100 yards ahead of me blew a tire. sounded like a shotgun! That's one pair of clean underwear I'll never get back.

North of Lexington I got off at 4 or New Circle Road and got gas marking this as one of the corners of my trip. Then is was onto the "Martha Layne Collins Kentucky Bluegrass Parkway". Or the road with the longest name in the world. I didn't give a damn what is was called. I was just grateful that after being on 75 with all that traffic, this road was basically deserted. I went miles without seeing another vehicle. Kind of straight and boring but after that madhouse on 75, boring is what I was craving.

Unfortunately, I had to get on I65 South at Elizabethtown and the heavy traffic and trucks returned. Making it through Nashville I got back on I40 West for my last run on the Interstate before my trip ended. About 50 miles before my exit I felt a drop of water. Could it be someones windshield washer ahead of me? Wishful thinking. Another drop, and another. Soon I was soaked with a mild downpour reducing my speed. But I was fortunate. The temperature was about 75 degrees. I've ridden in rain where I suffered from hypothermia so fast I couldn't ride 5 miles. But thank goodness it was warm enough where I was actually comfortable in the rain. Getting off at my exit, I rode the last 27 miles to my endpoint. I had done it. In 22 hours and 36 minutes I had ridden 1054 miles!!! I was exhausted and my body ached all over, especially my...... Well they don't call it the Saddle Sore 1000 for nothin!!!

Great Job S_O...!  No matter how dialed-in your machine the physical toll to ride 1,000 plus miles in any 24 time period is grueling.

Your choice of destination will make this achievement all more memorable.

If this was your first Iron Butt Challenge / Finish:
1) Congratulations, welcome to the club
2) I hope someone informed you endurance riding is addicting - if not, it's too late to turn back now

Thanks 2, I did one before but didn't document it. This one I've got the proof. It is kind of addicting. during the worst parts I was thinking "this is stupid, I'll never do this again." Then after it was over, first thing I'm thinking, "mmmmm...... If I go to the Upper Peninsula and then back to Tennessee, that would be over 1500 miles!!!!" Oh, No!! Bun Burner 1500 here we come!!! :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:

smooth_operator said:
Thanks 2, I did one before but didn't document it. This one I've got the proof. It is kind of addicting. during the worst parts I was thinking "this is stupid, I'll never do this again." Then after it was over, first thing I'm thinking, "mmmmm...... If I go to the Upper Peninsula and then back to Tennessee, that would be over 1500 miles!!!!" Oh, No!! Bun Burner 1500 here we come!!! :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:
Wow, that's awesome! I can relate re: "it is kind of addicting." Although I've not managed an "Iron Butt" ride,  I used to be a running marathoner (in my younger days (thus, "Road Runner" has a dual meaning for me), so was into that next challenge.

Congrats!

Thanks for posting this account of your trip. 
I was just at the Dragon and Cherohala a few weeks ago, temps were perfect.
So many good roads out that way, so little time....

So little time..... You got that right! But luckily in a couple of weeks I'm making a trip up to the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Beautiful place, if you ever get the chance to see it, go. You won't be dissapointed.