• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech-day SC Wi Reedsburg May 11th

JerBear

Having a tech day May 11th (Sat).  If you want to participate please try to give us an idea of the types of maintenance issues you would like to tackle so we can be sure to have the correct tools on hand.  Reedsburg is located in the south-central part of Wi near Wisconsin Dells on Hwy's 23 & 33.

This is my first stab at this type of thing and ZG /ZN Kim (WI new AAD) is going to help me try to run it smooth.  There is room for about three bikes to be worked on indoors and 3-4 more outside on a flat concrete driveway if weather allows.

Kim is going to help me adjust my throttle body so if you want to see that done or something else on your bike come on over.

It is on the COG calendar to register and has my address, feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow Coggers.http://cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=256361&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272019%2D05%2D06%27%7D
Jerry (JerBear)

Well put Jerry, other than I would have mentioned,  " BY POPULAR DEMAND, THE WISCONSIN TECH SESSION IS BACK!!!!"
Seriously, I truly thank Jerry for volunteering to host this at his residence in Reedsburg. Jerry and I will collaborate to try to cover all the tools required. Please let us know what you want to try to accomplish. We have quite a few COG members in Wisconsin, would be nice to know a few more of you.  Hopefully the weather will be decent, hop on the bike and stop by Jerry's house to "chew the fat" if nothing else.
Ride safe and see you there. 

Good on ya Jerry for stepping up even if kim is twisting your arm. Will see where things lie when we get closer but will make the effort to attend if possible.

JerBear, wish I could be there with ya'll!

Suggestion: Keep an eye on ZG/ZN Kim.
                  He's sneaky and he needs a lot of watching!!  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, even though you are a great guy, and come all the way up from Texas. We are not going to work on your motorcycle trailer.  :rotflmao:

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Ted, even though you are a great guy, and come all the way up from Texas. We are not going to work on your motorcycle trailer.  :rotflmao:

But...it's probably going to need work...he uses it a lot!  :rotflmao:

Awesome! Thanks Jerry for hosting! I will try to make it.

I shouldn't need anything done but can certainly help out.

Good tech session up in the Twin Cities, also good riding with you Jerry.
I am looking forward to the Wisconsin Tech session. I will bring some bar-b-que/buns and a coffee maker.

Also I will bring my tire bead breaker and tire changing equip. Hard for me to believe someone does not need a new tire. I may even bring a couple of my own to get reskinned.
Just a reminder if there is something you would like to do to your bike, drop a hint of it here. Both for tool needs, and so we have a chance to study up a bit. OR just stop by and "chew the fat"

Looking forward to it.

ZG/ZN Kim said:

Ya better be willing to work on it.
One of these days, we may need to use it to haul you broken bike..
  {Can't tell ya how many times it's been handy for others}..

Ride safe, Ted

PS:  :p

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Good tech session up in the Twin Cities, also good riding with you Jerry.
I am looking forward to the Wisconsin Tech session. I will bring some bar-b-que/buns and a coffee maker.

Back at ya Kim! I really appreciate you slowing down on the way home so I could keep up :)

I also had a very nice time meeting everyone and the Michelin Rep had a nice chat without twisting our arms to buy Michelin, very informative.  I can't promise any big shooters like that here in Reedsburg.  We're too far out in the sticks for that but we have electricity and flush toilets and hopefully a bunch of wrench-heads that know their way around a C10 or C14.

Kim has promised me to help with a throttle body sync on my C14 and I know my way around my 08 but anything worth learning about will have us all scratching our heads, we'll figure it out!

I hope my weather is as nice as Bloomington's was.  What a nice day to ride and wrench!

Jerry,
I meant to introduce myself but got a little busy at Gary’s.
I’m the guy that had you hold the tire lube brush while you were eating. :)
Hope to ride with ya this season.

Two weeks to go...... Please register if you plan to come.  This is a Wisconsin event that hasn't happened for a few years so if you want to do some type of differed maintenance or learn how to do your own by watching come on over.  Last week I was up in Minnesota and was treated very nicely by Coggers from all around so of course, other states are also encouraged to be represented if for no other reasons than a good ride and good fun.... 

I live on a Cul-du-sac so we won't get all the rubberneckers we had at Bloomington but we'll find something else to laugh at :D
I hope to see some new friends that weekend.

Kim has promised to show me how to change tires without a stand and that alone will save me 60 bucks a year!
Kim and I plan to do a Throttle Body Synch on my bike which may be (alone) worth the price of admission!

Jerry

Yea, it would be nice to see someone from Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois. Reedsburg is a very accessible location, regardless of riding style.
I am heading to Arkansas on the C14, keep this thread at the top of the NC list

I'm going to post pictures of the two door prizes that will be drawn on the May 11th Tech Day.  I'm a tool maker by trade and these are basic tools but work very well and allow a person to torque the steering stem bearing to a accurate reading.  I made a couple before and gave them away so it would seem that these are bike specific and as such, can be hard to find but not too hard to make.  They are powder coated so should keep their looks for a while.  If your'e on the fence about coming maybe this will get you here. 

(sorry they ended up sideways but I got them here at least! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 117
I was thinking about coming down.  Such a great area to ride in.  That door prize might have pushed me into action.  It looks like right now I would have a 50% chance of winning.  I like the odds.

Thanks for coming, right now your odds are very good but there's alway room for a few more.

:beerchug:

Jeff,
I think you know those C14's do need to get out and get exercise now and then. Get them out in the country and let them breathe. Hope to see you there.

If I don't have to play farmer Joane and I will be there.

Possible projects are

Front wheel bearings and seal inspection. New front axle spacers and front rotor run out inspection.

I just won't be able to commit until Friday.

The funny thing is I was through Reedsburg on Saturday and I am pretty sure I saw the Spring ride group at the gas station in Durand.  I was passing by on HWY 10.  Had to go visit my Brother and Sister in-law in Baraboo.  At least my wife let us take the bike. 

JerBear said:
Having a tech day May 11th (Sat).  If you want to participate please try to give us an idea of the types of maintenance issues you would like to tackle so we can be sure to have the correct tools on hand.  Reedsburg is located in the south-central part of Wi near Wisconsin Dells on Hwy's 23 & 33.

This is my first stab at this type of thing and ZG /ZN Kim (WI new AAD) is going to help me try to run it smooth.  There is room for about three bikes to be worked on indoors and 3-4 more outside on a flat concrete driveway if weather allows.

Kim is going to help me adjust my throttle body so if you want to see that done or something else on your bike come on over.

It is on the COG calendar to register and has my address, feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow Coggers.http://cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=256361&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272019%2D05%2D06%27%7D
Jerry (JerBear)

Brats and beer acceptable?

Hey Jeff, the next time you are in Baraboo check out Mama Mia's restaurant downtown.  Amazing Italian food IMO.  I hope to see you this Saturday.

Brats and beer acceptable?
[/quote]

I'm sorry but I took my grill to the dump today. Went to use it and found the whole bottom rusted out of it so at this point we are grill-less.  I don't mind heating them on the stove/microwave but there won't be a grill.....Sorry

You are welcome to drink whatever your tastes allow but please use good judgement with regard to driving home!

I will have soda and water Kim is bringing coffee.  we will have available hot food and snacks but the grill part will take me a few days to fix.

OK, as of today(Wednesday).  I only see a TB synch, and  my tire changing stuff(doing my own tire). Plus, maybe lube the front bearings on a C14/  check disc run-out.

I will bring BBQ/Buns(sorry about the brats). There will be water and coffee(sorry no beer) available. If there is something special you want/need, bring it.

There should be some time  for BS-ing, and meeting new faces. Plus, I do have a few Kawasaki  trinkets that maybe I will give away(thanks to Cliff Burnette/Jeff Kerkow).

Unfortunately, not going to make it.  Was looking forward to it and possible winning those hand fabricated tools.  Thanks for the Mama Mia tip.  We will definitely check it out the next time we are down there.  Have fun and don't bloody to many knuckles. 

Well weather looks promising for a ride. Jerry - I will bring some sausage, cheese, crackers to munch on. - Not sure of my desire to work on my bike away from home but... IF I do it would be cleaning front calipers/rotors - so will be bringing a few cans of Brake-Kleen product/supplies.

I do have a 4 cylinder balance doohickey I will bring along as well. Looking forward to the TB synch session.

Thank you for the generous offers Cobber!  As far as the Vacuum gauge goes you are welcome to bring yours but I broke down and bought one so perhaps we can compare results and see if they match?  Weather seems be working for us too, yee-haw! 

Also is Doohickey a technical term?

In like Flynn. We will do that front wheel bearing stuff and maybe we could do some suspension sag settings. That is always easier with folks around to hold the bike. I would like to find the settings for both single and two up.

For those coming I have a menu direct from my Boss (Joan) for tomorrow: I've been told that these types of gatherings require comestibles because of the strenuous wrenching that goes on!  :))

Shredded Chicken soft Tacos (Mild) with the fixins
Trail mix & assorted chips
Hamburger cheese dip
seven layer salad dip
veggies and fruit
dessert (cookies)
soda water coffee

There has been an attendee (Cobber & ZG/ZN Kim) or two that has offered cheese, meats, and crackers and barbecue

FYI: we have four very loud, very small dogs that really are good pups but not used to large crowds.  The youngest (Murphy) is blind so immediately goes energetically to any sound he hears.  They will be inside most of the day but if you need to use the facilities they will want to say HI!

Looking forward to see you tomorrow, drive safe!!

I had a great time chatting, eating and wrenching!  I'm gonna back off on the vittles next time, thank you all for what you brought as well.  Got my TB synch done, learned a lot of setting sag and rebound, it's not as tough as it seems.  I'm gonna find some spoons and rim protectors, I believe I can change my own tires if they are as simple as Kim makes it look,  Took the bike out for a quick spin and runs great but I had to back the idle off a little bit, now it's good.

COG is really a great group to be a part of!

jerry

Thanks for hosting Jerry. Please tell Joan thanks for the 7 course lunch. Good leftovers to take to work, the next couple weeks.  Nice to see everyone, and to meet a couple new people.