• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech Spec tank and saddle bad guards

garageman

I am just finishing painting my 2012 black. Does anybody have experience and comments regarding the tank and bag protector pads from Tech Spec. At my age it is getting hard to get my leg over the bike without dragging on at least one of the bags.

I put the full set on my Connie about a year after I purchased it.  If I had to do it again, I'd do it without pause.  My only recommendation is to get the more expensive version.  They make two versions using two different compounds...or at least they did. The less expensive option is more like a foam.  It will not wear well on the tank.  My be fine for the bags.  The more expensive option is a rubber.  Those wear like tires and will likely last forever.  The adhesive will wear out first.  My experience is based on their key chain, which I use for my motorcycle keys.  The fob is make from both materials adhered back to back.  The rubber compound shows almost no wear.  The foam compound is falling apart.  YMMV.  Worth the price in my opinion though.

I bought them and would buy them again. They protect the tank and allow you to better grip the tank with your knees. The adhesive came loose a bit on the edges after a few years but was easily resolved with some spray-on sticky stuff.

I ordered the full set of the snake skins and the set for the bags as well. At my age getting my boot up and over while getting on or off is tough to do without touching the bags.

garage monster said:
I ordered the full set of the snake skins and the set for the bags as well. At my age getting my boot up and over while getting on or off is tough to do without touching the bags.

Ditto... getting on fresh is okay, getting off after a couple of hours leaves embarrassing scuffs on the bags/whatever... only had the snake-skins on a few days, but so far so good...

Tech Spec makes a good product.  My C14 had factory tank protector when I got it.  I went with the full Tech Spec package, very pleased with it.

I've had them (full set) on my 2014 since it came home. Get the snake skin version. My foot doesn't swing as high anymore either. I really like them. You might can see them in my avatar photo.

I have the tank kit and love it! Easy install. They’ve been on the bike for over a year and they are the snakeskin version. No signs of peeling yet thankfully. Considering getting the saddle bag kit now that my wife is riding more with me. Up until now my saddlebags have been staying off the bike most of the time as I never typically need that extra space unless going on a huge trip. My wife (of course) loves to overpack so that’s why I anticipate needing the covers for them LOL ;)

My set arrived with no instructions so I guess I will look at pictures on the website and figure out where all the pieces go.