• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

temp. worries

riverwolf813345

My 2000 ( Shen-Lo} seems to ne getting hot. The smell is hard to miss. The gauge rises, but never to the red. I rarely hear the fan. At times it stays on after shut-down but for less than a minute usually. She quit on me last week, would start for a sec with choke then die under load. I trailer'd home. Shes running fine now but I mistakingly opened the cap today, I hear I have to burp it somehow, not sure how. My Q. is would it be getting too hot, fan misfunctioning,and thermostat all go at same time?? Is replacing the therm. the best start?

If you have a non-contact IR temperature device point it at the cooling logs when you think the engine is overheating. From what you write all sounds normal. If the temperature gauge ever gets in the red then there's problems. My gauge (3 C-10's since 1991) cycles left to right but never goes in the red.
There is a bleeding drill - but I doubt you've done anything to get air into the system by opening the cap. https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...ement-for-new-owner-of-an-older-connie.41942/
Check the coolant overflow container for the proper level while you're checking.

Have you recently replaced the water pump or drain and replace the coolant?
If so you have to burp the water pump in order to get trapped air out of the water pump otherwise it might not being operating properly and may cause symptoms you are experiencing.

Per the link Greenie's provided there are bolts that hold the water pump on and either the one at 11:00 or 2:00 o'clock position can be taken out to purge the air out.
Put a low large diameter drain pan underneath and a little bit away from the water pump to catch the stream of coolant that will come out while you loosen the radiator cap to start the coolant purge and tighten cap to slow the rate of coolant draining while you put the water pump bolt back in. Then top off the coolant.
You do this with the bike not running and preferably when the coolant is not hot to the touch or cold.

Even if you haven't done a coolant change maybe the previous owner didn't purge the air out so it may be worth a try to see if it helps your problem before replacing parts.

FYI
On hot days stuck traffic my temp gage gets up around the 1:00 o'clock position with the fan kicking on.
I did have a bad fan switch awhile back that wouldn't kick the fan on and the temp gage would approach the red zone. That night I got the cross referenced Napa car specific temp/fan switch, if I remember correctly it was around $30.

Last edited:
There is also a bleed fitting on the thermostat housing. It looks like a brake bleed fitting. After a coolant change I bleed it at the pump, you don't have to take that bolt all the way out. The air will come out first then fluid. Then run the bike with the fuel tank off using a large syringe as my fuel supply. Don't forget to plug the petcock vacuum line while running. This lets me bleed the thermostat housing and see better to check for leaks. Finish by topping off the radiator and check the over flow is at the correct level, after it has cooled.

I have had the fan switch fail twice while away from home. So I have a jumper for the fan switch and with my added fuse panel in the left side panel I have a jumper to the fan fuse so the fan comes on when ever the bike is on. This is just to get me home where I can replace the fan switch and not have to add coolant while on the road. I also added a small led indicator light that I connected to the fan connector to tell be when the fan has power. Now I know at what gage reading my fan comes on and turns off. I can see if the temp switch failed.

My 2000 ( Shen-Lo} seems to ne getting hot. The smell is hard to miss. The gauge rises, but never to the red. I rarely hear the fan. At times it stays on after shut-down but for less than a minute usually. She quit on me last week, would start for a sec with choke then die under load. I trailer'd home. Shes running fine now but I mistakingly opened the cap today, I hear I have to burp it somehow, not sure how. My Q. is would it be getting too hot, fan misfunctioning,and thermostat all go at same time?? Is replacing the therm. the best start?

What type of fuel line are you using ? The reason I ask is because the clear Tygon fuel line gets real soft and flimsy when hot and can kink and cut off the flow . Once it dies it cools off enough to flow again for awhile .

Last edited:
Thanks guys. You are the best. I have not found a better place for good information. My bike means the world to me. I have been drinking heavy since my teens. This machine was my first time I wanted to be doing something other than drink. I had her one month, haven't touched alcohol since. It gave me a feeling I have never had. Thank you for helping me keep her in good shape. I can't explain how I could walk away from alcohol with no problem, other than a Concours intervention. I appreciate you folks helping me.

Thanks guys. You are the best. I have not found a better place for good information. My bike means the world to me. I have been drinking heavy since my teens. This machine was my first time I wanted to be doing something other than drink. I had her one month, haven't touched alcohol since. It gave me a feeling I have never had. Thank you for helping me keep her in good shape. I can't explain how I could walk away from alcohol with no problem, other than a Concours intervention. I appreciate you folks helping me.
Awesome ! Bikes work that way sometimes . I was in a bad place in life several years ago and took off for a month long trip . Left the weed behind in the trash can . By the end of that month I was a new person with a better outlook . Just keep in mind it's an old bike and will need some tlc from time to time . This site is the only manual I've ever needed for it .

Motorcycling is good for the soul. Congratulations on the one month achievement! I may be prejudiced but the C-10 has done everything I've asked. I've owned 3 of them so far. And the folks that make up this forum and COG are great - from all walks of life.

I can't find an update button. All the heat I was feeling was a leak where the muffler connects. My fault when putting new tires on.

If your talking about changing your original post; You can't "Edit" a post after "X" amount of time.
But; I think you can type in Update on the title of the discussion.

Ride safe, Ted