• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Texting while driving - Must be a solution somewhere

tnrider

Moped
I thing we've all encountered this problem while riding. Last Friday on I-40 East coming out of Knoxville I encountered 4 young girls in a car in the passing lane slowing traffic.  I was in the slow lane for safety's sake when I looked over into their car because they had slowed down again next to me.  It looked like they were in their own living room, leaned back, and concentrating on their phones.  The driver had both hands on her phone which was resting on the center of the steering wheel.  She occasionally looked up but didn't seem to care about the traffic behind her.  I motioned for her to hang up her phone at which time she stopped using it briefly but was back at it again shortly afterwards.  At this point, it seems that texting while driving is the norm and not the exception. :mad:

Cell phones can provide all kinds of information such as maps, etc.  Why can't they design them so that they cannot be used, for texting at least, while in motion?  Maybe with a question so that you must prove you are not the driver to text while it is in motion? Could C.O.G. to something as a group to petition the government making such a requirement mandatory for cell phones sold in the U.S.? 

I don't agree with you Willy P.  So I sent an email to my senator.  Nothing may be done but at least I tried. 

WillyP said:
No! Bad idea! And anyway, COG is not a political group.
[/queote]

Correct we are not a political group, we are however a group of citizens with common concerns.
Texting and driving and any other bad habbit that so adversely affects our safety is and should be a common concerns. By all means IMO we should not be so quick to abandoned such an idea without discussion and the possibility of us as a group offering some viable Solutions.

Effing Waze always asks if I’m the passenger. Grrr, the most freaking annoying, pointless thing.

I just don’t see any tech solution to this particular problem.

It’s a problem of responsibility, not tech.

So, if no texting while moving any passengers are excluded also since there could be no discernment between driver/passenger??
It's not a tech issue, as mentioned, it's a behavioral responsibility issue. Unfortunately one that won't improve as long as idiots continue to be drivers.

It's quite obvious that it is a behavior issue :-[  However, it's been shown that people are not adjusting their behavior and that it is getting worse no matter the laws and fines.  It is also hard to enforce the laws that are already in place.
But texting while driving can be solved with technology.  In fact the technology has already been developed including allowing passengers to text and not the driver.  However, recent surveys show that people do not want this technology (as illustrated on this forum). And the phone makers don't want to lose customers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/technology/phone-makers-could-cut-off-drivers-so-why-dont-they.html

Fatalities from texting while driving now exceed drunk driving fatalities involving teen drivers. Good luck on the road.

In Ontario, Canada (and many other parts of the country, as well as many other countries), texting and driving is strictly illegal. In fact, any handheld device ("I wasn't texting officer, I was changing my music on my ipod") is also strictly illegal, and even though some people still do it, it has been reduced drastically.

Even talking on the phone with the phone in your hand is illegal. I remember when I was in FL and everyone is texting and driving, talking w the phone in their ears not looking at their mirrors, insanely dangerous for a rider (i used to ride a vmax there).

The USA needs to sanction a federal law on this regard, QUICK.

JimBob said:
Effing Waze always asks if I’m the passenger. Grrr, the most freaking annoying, pointless thing.

I would think phone companies could shut texting off if the phone is moving more then five MPH.

FTB530 said:
JimBob said:

I would think phone companies could shut texting off if the phone is moving more then five MPH.

I agree! but I would amend that to moving, period. Plenty of idiots on traffic lights moving fwd slowly looking at their phones, annoying as F..ck

Telling people to stop texting while driving is a waste of time. You will get the finger. The penalty if caught texting should be outrageous and if you get in an accident phone records should be provided. A friend of mines daughter rear ended a bus the other day and tried to say she was not texting.

In many of the EU countries texting while driving will get your D/L suspended for 6 months to a year on the first offense. If you cause an accident chances are you'll never drive again plus a huge fine and probably a year or more in jail. Even with all that I still see a few idiots texting.

TnRider said:
I don't agree with you Willy P.  So I sent an email to my senator.  Nothing may be done but at least I tried.

Why, did you see your senator texting while driving?  ;)

ConcoursKZ said:
Telling people to stop texting while driving is a waste of time. You will get the finger. The penalty if caught texting should be outrageous and if you get in an accident phone records should be provided. A friend of mines daughter rear ended a bus the other day and tried to say she was not texting.

I agree.  The guy who hit me was on his phone.  He's a taxi cab driver and blamed me for the accident.  He hit me from behind!  I've seen to many people on their phone.  When I've seen them, I just wag my finger and they put their phone down and or act like they don't see me.  I've too many close calls with people being on their phone.

Irene

Georgia has a new law, eff 7/1/18, making it  illegal for you to touch your phone while driving. TOUCH your phone. The police are enforcing it for now and for now, it's making a difference. But people are slowly picking  up their  phone again. It's epidemic around here.

ron203 said:
Georgia has a new law, eff 7/1/18, making it  illegal for you to touch your phone while driving. TOUCH your phone. The police are enforcing it for now and for now, it's making a difference. But people are slowly picking  up their  phone again. It's epidemic around here.

Al law is not really a law unless it is enforced. Pull em over, fine em large and make an example of them. If I can do everything inside my helmet they surely can figure out how to keep their hands on the freaking wheel.

freebird6 said:
ron203 said:

Al law is not really a law unless it is enforced. Pull em over, fine em large and make an example of them. If I can do everything inside my helmet they surely can figure out how to keep their hands on the freaking wheel.

Exactly right. A lot of this needs to be done in Atlanta (particularly). It's like the Wild West on the interstate during rush hour.

Texting is so bad that riding in many parts of a city is not an option. Rush hour traffic is like playing FROGGER in real life. 

ron203 said:
That is light years ahead of the Pennsylvania law. In PA, it’s against the law to text and drive. But you can use the phone or tablet to play games, surf the web, enter contacts, make calls, write emails, place on line orders, check the weather, Read and write on the COG forum, etc. you just can’t text. It’s idiodic and will only charge when a congressional leader has a family member killed by someone using the phone but not texting. When you cross the state lines from PA to surrounding states you are greeted with a warning that hand held devices are not permitted while driving.  Since officers in PA have no idea if you are texting or making stock trades, they can’t pull you over. As we know, when riding a motorcycle we see a lot, and it’s downright scary.

4Bikes said:
ron203 said:
That is light years ahead of the Pennsylvania law. In PA, it’s against the law to text and drive. But you can use the phone or tablet to play games, surf the web, enter contacts, make calls, write emails, place on line orders, check the weather, Read and write on the COG forum, etc. you just can’t text. It’s idiodic and will only charge when a congressional leader has a family member killed by someone using the phone but not texting. When you cross the state lines from PA to surrounding states you are greeted with a warning that hand held devices are not permitted while driving.  Since officers in PA have no idea if you are texting or making stock trades, they can’t pull you over. As we know, when riding a motorcycle we see a lot, and it’s downright scary.

I'm in Pa, and I feel your pain!

freebird6 said:
ron203 said:

You are so right.  A law is not good if it's not enforced.

Irene

How about hooking up your phone via blue tooth to your car? I've done this and I never touch my phone but I can send texts, receive texts, make and receive calls all by voice command. Seems like an easy solution. I guess people are lazy. and it's not some exotic new technology, I have a 2014 minivan for gosh sake!
'

TnRider said:
But texting while driving can be solved with technology.  In fact the technology has already been developed including allowing passengers to text and not the driver.  However, recent surveys show that people do not want this technology (as illustrated on this forum). And the phone makers don't want to lose customers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/technology/phone-makers-could-cut-off-drivers-so-why-dont-they.html

Nothing in this article explains how the tech can reliably differentiate driver from passenger. Even CellControl admits it can “sometimes” (haha, right) disable a passenger’s phone.

Short of putting a LOT of sensors in vehicles, this just ain’t going to happen. Additionally, if you implement something that annoys enough people, they’ll just find a way around it. Rooted phones could easily avoid such restraints. Even without root, devs could distribute apps that misreport the sensor data that’s used to disable the phone. Or the Turtle could be disabled (pull a fuse). This is just how people are - something is annoying enough they’ll find a way around it. And teens have the time to find ways around things, then publish it on the web and share with their friends. Would take about 30 minutes to work around such tech.

Laws/rule only work when people agree to follow them. So it’s always a behaviour issue - getting drivers to change.

Massive fines, awareness campaigns, etc. Similar to DUI changes through the 80’s.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto come standard in alot of newer cars these days.

I personally use Carplay in mine, and although it has it's limitations - it really is a fantastic tool.
Even the new Goldwing has it installed!!!

This is a worldwide epidemic, and it's not being helped by phone manufacturers simply to continue their sales profits, public safety be damned.

I cringe every time I pass someone texting on their phones, and it happens so much now, I almost ignore it.

NOt to mention, the people who ride the left lane because they're distracted and talking.

What is TRULY frightening to me, is how the teens and 20-somethings will video chat or facetime WHILE driving.
Yep, THAT is why the phone is being held with two hands in the middle of the steering wheel.
OMFG.  :-[

Time to write your congressman.

gr

Then you understand people's insatiable desire for self-driving cars.
I cringe every time I pass someone texting on their phones, and it happens so much now, I almost ignore it.
Sometimes I think it is a marketing ploy to inundate your conscience with presence to the point of oblivion, so they can shove even more product down consumer's throat.
So far it has worked, despite efforts of responsible people to rein in the issue.