• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thanks to all who helped me at the National when my bike broke

Strawboss

While getting fuel Monday night in town at Guntersville after riding 700 miles from Ohio, my C-10 started puking very nice blue liquid from the belly pan. After dropping the pan, I found a pin hole in the coolant line into the water pump. Right off, a COGGER named "rock" I think, stopped and offered help, I buttoned up, limped back 10 miles to rally central and puked some more blue juice onto the nice brick driveway in front of the lobby.

Within 15 minutes, I was given bike keys to ride into town for parts, I had a crossed referenced part number from NAPA sold at O'Reilly's car parts and a ride into town the next morning. Talking later with Jefferey? He told of how he simply got a section of 1" heater hose and installed it since it's a straight piece of tubing. Sounds good. Frugal COGGERS unite.

"ONOBob" drove me in town the next morning, got some 1" heater hose and over the next 2 hours I broke down the fairing and pan and with some help from Blaise who was my 3rd hand I needed to get the hose over the intake of the water pump while trying to keep it straight, and many others who stopped and talked and offered help or water or a story and good natured ribbing.

Filled it with water only temporarily, purged it, bolted it back together, cleaned up and rode to Little River Canyon and about 100 miles. I rode to and stayed with family after the rally in Huntsville for a few days then rode home, no problems. I did notice the temp gauge showed a lot cooler and the heat was much more intense coming off the bike, this is science I'm told.

So, again, this shows how the COG family jumps in to help, thank you all, Rock, Bob who made it happen, Jeff, Roger, Tulsa FD Jim and his wife, Dan, Don, Tim, Phil, Mo, especially Blaise, Kathy, Patrick and quite a few others I can't recall now who offered help after hearing of my problem.

BTW, new coolant hoses are on order as is some more pretty blue liquid.

Last edited:
Tell us more about the blue antifreeze . Is it Pentofrost ? That's what I used last time , seems to work well .

**UPDATE** I ordered and replaced all the rubber coolant hoses on the bike except the main/top filler running from the cap, that was not available from Kawasaki, it is from aftermarket and NOS at $47, the rest of the kit was about $75, not too bad really for genuine parts. Not a major job, just time consuming, tight quarters, the trick was to rub a dab of vasoline on the inside of the hose, it makes it so much easier to slip over the metal pipes. Filled it with proper coolant, purged it, topped it off, ran it up up temp, no issues, no leaks. Ordering top hose today.

**UPDATE** I ordered and replaced all the rubber coolant hoses on the bike except the main/top filler running from the cap, that was not available from Kawasaki, it is from aftermarket and NOS at $47, the rest of the kit was about $75, not too bad really for genuine parts. Not a major job, just time consuming, tight quarters, the trick was to rub a dab of vasoline on the inside of the hose, it makes it so much easier to slip over the metal pipes. Filled it with proper coolant, purged it, topped it off, ran it up up temp, no issues, no leaks. Ordering top hose today.
Glad you got it fixed. COG guys are always awesome! Hopefully they will open the border soon so I will be able to get to next years rally. Until then keep an eye or your six! šŸ˜‚

It's weird you know, each time I go south something big happens to the bike, 3 months after the national I was in Suches for the Wolf and I got a flat tire. I got lucky in that I was just down the road from the campground at the gas station when I saw it. Limped back and set to work fixing it in the parking lot, had some help too. In an hour, I was scraping pegs up in the mountains, oh, wait, not supposed to scrape pegs, means I'm doing something wrong with the suspension:).......well. it was fun.