• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The 2015 Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties Rally (SC Texas)

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
The 2015 Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties is on the Calendar for the 19th through the 21st of March, 2015.

This year the Rally will be hosted at The Maverick Inn:

www.themaverickinn.com    432-837-0628

1200 E. Holland Avenue

Alpine, TX 79830

COG rooms are only blocked out until the 19th of FEB. Please make your reservation as soon as feasible.

SC COG will have exclusive use of the Maverick Inn which will include unlimited access to the heated pool and fire pit "after hours" once we reserve all 20 rooms.

This weekend does occur during the "spring break" window so all rooms in this region will be booked quickly as that time approaches. The COG event cutoff is the 19th of February, 2015, so please reserve your room as soon as practicable. The Maverick Inn has great amenities and people so this year we will have the "run" of the place with their great free breakfast, free WiFi, and easy walking distance to good restaurants.

This year we will have prizes and awards at the exclusive COG Dinner to be held at 7PM on Saturday the19th, at :

www.judysbreadandbreakfast.com/  with a multiple entree menu for $10 per person.  :celebrate:

The Big Bend and Davis Mountains regions have arguably some of the best roads and scenery for riding  :motonoises: anywhere in the SC region along with the unique geology of the Eastern most expanse of the Basins and Ranges region in the United States.

A guide and maps to the area are available to all riders at the URL below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

Please make your reservations today and register on the COG calendar at the URL below:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=207049&mo=3&tDate={d%20%272015-03-12%27}

Craig A. Green AAD COG #5063

Just wanted to share my opinion on this ride. If you haven't been out to these parts before it is really worth going. I went with a group fall 2013 there are several nice rides to and from depending which way you are coming from. Think nice roads without much traffic, long distance views and for us city folk I think this is where the "Big Skies in Texas" comes from. On a funny note as we were heading out one of the guys commented "I have never taken so many pictures of a rock before".

I might just join you guys.

Murph,,,, this might will probably be my first COG ride after (the recent) knee surgery. Would enjoy meeting you there.
Greenman,, give me a call....

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I have my hall pass!  Wife sed I could go!

See ya'll there.

Ride safe, Ted

OUTSTANDING !!!!

Does this mean the possibility of the GNU and !mpr0ved HalF C0w wild and w00ly get togther is going to be scheduled?! :D

Craig :popcorncouple:

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it  ???),,, "Halfcow Ranch" has been sold....
We'll have to figure out some-other luxury resort...

Ride safe, Ted

I should be ready to get out of the house by then and my wife will be ready to kick me out. I rode the Three Sisters this year for the first time and I could do with some more South Texas. I might just join you guys if you wouldn't mind.

BigJim please join us for some great riding and astounding scenery! I just finished a 4x4 trip in Big Bend and had a blast on the back roads.

You will meet a lot of great folks and have a great time!
:motonoises:
Craig

I have lived in N. Texas all my life but I have never made it down to Big Bend. It sounds like a great trip for early in the year and a good time to really take the Connie out for a run. I ride to go place and to meet great people so that sounds perfect to me. You can't go wrong with people who put serious miles on their bikes.

Big_Jim59 said:
I have lived in N. Texas all my life but I have never made it down to Big Bend. It sounds like a great trip for early in the year and a good time to really take the Connie out for a run. I ride to go place and to meet great people so that sounds perfect to me. You can't go wrong with people who put serious miles on their bikes.

Pamela and I met Troy last week in Big Bend NP and we drove most of the back roads (4x4 high clearance)  :great:  and then stayed at the Maverick Inn Saturday night before coming back to DFW. We all had a grand time and a great dinner at the Reata in Alpine.

You are welcome to join up on the ride down to Big Bend from DFW. We will leave on the 19th and arrive in Alpine that afternoon.

Craig

Outstanding!!!!!  We even welcome TRAILER QUEEN haulers like Ted, but let's not be too hard on him as he just got his knee replaced.  :nananana:

Oh,  he also saw the light and UPGRADED to a C14!!!!!  :motonoises:

gr33mAn

HEY!!  :38:  I resemble that remark!    :-\

Bye the bye, "Craig"; I just talked to Danny and we made special arrangements so that "you" can stay at Halfcow Ranch!
You'll have to sleep with the Goats and the Illegals in the barn (again), but you do have a place to sleep!  :nananana:

C'mon "Ride the Twisties", only 5 months and counting,,, kain't wate!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: When I "finally" get to ride,,, Your gonna have to show me how to operate this C-14.
          It has to many danged buttons!  :mad:

Why that's mighty kind of you Ted!!! but......  :32:

Anyway, better get those rooms booked for BBRTT, it will be a great time for all and a lot better than 11 curves in 318 miles elsewhere! ;D

Craig

Rooms held for the Big Bend Ride the Twisties 2015 will be released for the public on the 19th of February, so please get your room reserved and register soon!!!!

Remember, this is in the Spring Break window so rooms are at a premium this time of year.

Nightly fire pit  :campfire:

Texas' best twisties!!!  :motonoises: :great: ;D

Don't miss out on the kick off ride for the 2015 COG SC Season! :great:

16121801028_a5d0beb3e4_z.jpg

Craig

I haven't seen much discussion about this ride.
So, I decided to bring it up and do some stirring..

My Room is reserved and I'll be bringing some Jalopenia Poppers for the New Guys to sample...
And I'll bring a Bushel of Corn for the Old Guys... (like Craig)

If anyone is interested, I like to lead a group from Del Rio to Alpine on Friday Morning... (the 20th)
We normally meet at the Skillet Restauraunt (near Walmart in Del Rio) at 7:00 AM on Friday morning...
After leaving Del Rio, we'll stop by Langtry and see Judge Roy Beans place, (Jersey Lilly) and stop at a few other choice places.

If anyone wants to ride with us,, contact me here and/or PM me. 
                                                I'll arrange a Motel in Del Rio for those that want to stay there Thursday night....

NOTE: So ya'll can abuse me now...  :mad:
          I normally Trailer my bike to Del Rio, and leave the bike (at the Motel) there while I do the ride to Alpine etc..
          (Yes, I know I'm a sinner, but it works for me).

SPECIAL: Craig, I still have arrangements made for you to stay at Halfcow Ranch??
              You've been upgraded to the Luxury Beds (In the Deer Camp Beds) as the goats refused to sleep with you this year..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I haven't seen much discussion about this ride.
So, I decided to bring it up and do some stirring..

My Room is reserved and I'll be bringing some Jalopenia Poppers for the New Guys to sample...
And I'll bring a Bushel of Corn for the Old Guys... (like Craig)

If anyone is interested, I like to lead a group from Del Rio to Alpine on Friday Morning... (the 20th)
We normally meet at the Skillet Restauraunt (near Walmart in Del Rio) at 7:00 AM on Friday morning...
After leaving Del Rio, we'll stop by Langtry and see Judge Roy Beans place, (Jersey Lilly) and stop at a few other choice places.

If anyone wants to ride with us,, contact me here and/or PM me. 
                                                I'll arrange a Motel in Del Rio for those that want to stay there Thursday night....

NOTE: So ya'll can abuse me now...  :mad:
          I normally Trailer my bike to Del Rio, and leave the bike (at the Motel) there while I do the ride to Alpine etc..
          (Yes, I know I'm a sinner, but it works for me).

SPECIAL: Craig, I still have arrangements made for you to stay at Halfcow Ranch??
              You've been upgraded to the Luxury Beds (In the Deer Camp Beds) as the goats refused to sleep with you this year..

Ride safe, Ted

What heartfelt thanks I have Ted!!!!!!!!  Not only are you actually coming to the BBRTT this year, but you are busy with OtP and being a great guy! :great:

As far as Del Rio....well I need to .......hmmm......uh.........OH YEAH...NOW I REMEMBER.....go to Alpine and get everything ready on Thursday!

Poppers and k0rn squeezins sounds great! :campfire:  :party0036: :beerchug:

Just to get everyone in the mood, I have uploaded some Big Bend riding HD videos to enjoy. They are quick and dirty uploads with no editing so you will have to endure on getting everyone ready to ride out.

There's a ride from Alpine up to the access road of the observatory and  a four part ride of the River Road from Study Butte to Presidio.  When I slow down I am waiting to make sure that the other riders are still behind.

Here's the link http://vimeo.com/INTP/videos  No fancy titles or music yet, just the rides maam!

ENJOY and everyone get your room booked soon as room hold is over on the 19th of Feb.

Craig

Well, after a VERY long hiatus from the group and this ride, I think we have finally been able to put this on our calendar.

We plan on trailering down Thur.  Now before you yawhoos start wailing away.....the mrs has a bad knee and can't ride with me, let alone the 9 hr ride it would be from our hacienda, so yes I will trailer. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all my old (Ted) friends again.

"Ya, See Craig",, I told you I wasn't the only one that trailers...  :-\

Hey "Old Timer" (er, I mean Doug) ,,, It's good to see your still able to type/walk/chew gum/etc... <sly grin>

If'n ya want,,,, your Bride and my Bride can ride together, (and talk about us).. WHILE,,,, You and I ride from Del Rio with Troy..

Ride safe, Ted

Doug_Turner_TX said:
Well, after a VERY long hiatus from the group and this ride, I think we have finally been able to put this on our calendar.

We plan on trailering down Thur.  Now before you yawhoos start wailing away.....the mrs has a bad knee and can't ride with me, let alone the 9 hr ride it would be from our hacienda, so yes I will trailer. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all my old (Ted) friends again.

Doug.....what an unexpected pleasure!!!!  ;D Looking forward to seeing you and your wife in March.

I am not cajoling or sniping on trailer folks anymore as I would probably trailer to the National and as Randy Quaid said to the aliens  in Independence Day - "Payback's a bitch  ain't it!!!"

I will be like Ted and join TA and stand up in front of groups and say, My name is Craig and I have been trailering my motorcycle for ** years, and wait for the applause.  :truce:

Can't wait for BBRTT!!! Craig

Craig

Craig, you mean your gonna be Trailer Trash too??  >:D

Ok everyone, follow me!!  ;)
LOL!!!

Haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  nananana: :nananana: :nananana:
haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  nananana: :nananana: :nananana:
haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle,  haa haa, hoo, hoo, hee hee, giggle, giggle, etc etc etc etc etc!!!!  :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Hey "Old Timer" (er, I mean Doug) ,,, It's good to see your still able to type/walk/chew gum/etc... <sly grin>

If'n ya want,,,, your Bride and my Bride can ride together, (and talk about us).. WHILE,,,, You and I ride from Del Rio with Troy..

Ride safe, Ted

Well that ain't happenin.  The boss says that's too far outta the way

Doug_Turner_TX said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Doug,

I was going to offer the bed at the HalfCow for your and your wife by proxy, but I see that that side trip has been scuttled so you have my invitation to join Pamela and I for dinner Thursday night.

I always wondered what end of the HalfCow did that meme represent?  :))

Craig

kv5e said:
Doug_Turner_TX said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Doug,

I was going to offer the bed at the HalfCow for your and your wife by proxy, but I see that that side trip has been scuttled so you hae my invitation to join Pamela and I for dinner Thursday night.

I always wondered what end of the HalfCow did that meme represent?  :))

Craig

Ok, now that I'm on the computer and not my crappy Ipad, I can tell you the REAL story....

"You know, dear, if we were to go through Del Rio I could show you the Half Cow."

"What's a Half Cow?"

"It's Ted's luxury resort just out side of Del Rio."

"Resort?  Really?  Does it have a spa?"

"By spa, you mean...?"

"Can I get a pedicure"?

"Ummmm....no."

"Can I get a Manicure?"

"Ummm...no."

"Well, does it at least have a hot tub?"

"Ummmm...well...I guess if the weather is warm enough, you could soak in the stock tank with the cows and goats."

The conversation kinda ended there.

Well, I've got to admit,,, Luxury Resort was stretching the truth "Just a Little"...

But if she does go, I can promise the manicure, pedicure, hair styling, great food, exquisite beds, and Luxury accomodations...

NOTE: I sed; I can "promise"... (But as ya'll know,,,, I've been known to lie stretch the truth...)

Craig: Ya shoulda known;;; "Halfcow" represents the "Best Part of the Cow"....  <Evil grin>  :)

Sadly: Danny has sold Halfcow and we can not (all) stay there anymore. (I did make special arrangements for Craig).

Luckily; Danny is now partners with another guy (that owns a Ranch near Halfcow).
            I don't know the name of the Ranch, but his partner's Name is "Hog-Bob"...  ;)
                I arranged for space at the New/Ranch House (It's called "Old Yaller Bus", and it is a little nicer than Halfcow Hall)..
                      If anyone is interested? Let me know.....

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Well, I've got to admit,,, Luxury Resort was stretching the truth "Just a Little"...

But if she does go, I can promise the manicure, pedicure, hair styling, great food, exquisite beds, and Luxury accomodations...

NOTE: I sed; I can "promise"... (But as ya'll know,,,, I've been known to lie stretch the truth...)

Craig: Ya shoulda known;;; "Halfcow" represents the "Best Part of the Cow"....  <Evil grin>  :)

Sadly: Danny has sold Halfcow and we can not (all) stay there anymore. (I did make special arrangements for Craig).

Luckily; Danny is now partners with another guy (that owns a Ranch near Halfcow).
            I don't know the name of the Ranch, but his partner's Name is "Hog-Bob"...  ;)
                I arranged for space at the New/Ranch House (It's called "Old Yaller Bus", and it is a little nicer than Halfcow Hall)..
                      If anyone is interested? Let me know.....

Ride safe, Ted

bandito.jpg

¡He's full of frijoles! ¡He's full of frijoles! ¡He's full of frijoles! ¡He's full of frijoles! ¡He's full of frijoles! ¡He's full of frijoles!

gr33mAn  :))

Wanted to join this trip, but will be in Costa Rica. I'm almost sure I can make it to the Cortez rally; will know in a week or two. And if I make it, and one of you trailering guys pass by El Paso and have space for an extra bike, I'd love to trailer mine too (and I'd buy the gas):great:.  I don't particularly enjoy riding on flat roads, only wearing your tires, and getting tired in vain. So no, trailering until the roads get nicer is just plain smart :great:.

Finally, I want to try my bike in an overnight trip to Big Bend in the next few weeks, hoping to find lodging at the Chisos Motel inside the park. And on weekdays, to minimize traffic, RVs, and cops. If somebody is up for that, let me know. We could meet somewhere there (Kent, Ft. Davis, Alpine, Presidio, etc). I usually slab it from Sierra Blanca to Kent on I-10, and ride thru the Davis Mountains, then detour 11 miles into Balmorhea and back, for the awesome rock formations and twisties. Then have lunch at Ft Davis (general drugstore, I think), and contiune to Presidio then Terlingua and Big Bend park. A ride to the Santa Elena canyon is a must, but probably done the next day, on the way back, which could be straight to Van Horn. Have a great day and week ahead.

Rooms to be released at the Maverick Inn on Feb. 19 !

If you are on the fence or are planning on going, please make your reservations ASAP while rooms are available. Remember this is in the Spring Break time frame and the rooms sell out.

Looking forward to seeing all of you next month! :great:

Craig

It's still looking good for us to make it.  I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends (Ted) and making new ones.

So, if I read it right, Ted is going to bring the popper making goodies (if he can remember....you know how memory fades with age).  So who's gonna burn, er I mean, cook them?

Ahh, silly question Buck Wheat.

(As most of us know), You have lots of practice at burning my Jalapeno Poppers...

So, I naturally volunteer YOU as the Chief Chef/Burner...  :)

Ride safe, Ted

Well done is best.  It is the only way to know for sure the cheese will shoot out and burn your face off with enough heat to make the Jalapeno heat nothing.

Wish I could be there.

Yea, (if you don't let it cool before ya eat it) that (extremely hot) melted cheese on yer lip can be interesting!!!  :mad:

Wish you could be there to Mr Smith!!

Ride safe, Ted

Just a note to those that may be helping prepare the poppers - make sure you wash your hands really good afterwards......that word of advise comes from Troy.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
Just a note to those that may be helping prepare the poppers - make sure you wash your hands really good afterwards......that word of advise comes from Troy.

AYE....especially if you are having a wee dram during the prep and need to go!!! :character0029:

ROOMS RELEASED on the 19th.........BETTER GET YOUR RESERVATIONS IN!!!

gr33nmAn

LOL,, I recall that trip. Troy came out of the RR (err) dancing and crying.....  >:D

I just called the Maverick and changed my room to a bigger room, (so that we have room to prepare the Jalapeno's).
Checked and the utensil's are available for the Jalapeno cutting/cleaning/filling/wrapping.
(By the way, I'll need a little help (and mebbe a few $$) as I think we'll probably do about 50-100)
Doug's cooking , so I can assure you; they will be well done!

NOTE: Let them cool before biting into them or your have a painful blister on your lip... (correct Craig)?

The lady at the Motel said there are rooms still available.
But, they will offer them to others after the 19th.
SO,,  if your going,,, call and reserve your room NOW!!

Update; I had no replies about a gathering in Del Rio on Thursday, so I'll probably arrive in Alpine on Thursday..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I think yer just a buncha sissies!!!  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

You're still full of frijoles!!!! :29:

gr33nmAn

gr33nmAn,, I'm glad you reminded me!
Speaking of frijoles and Halfcow Ranch,,, that reminds me of a Halfcow Ranch "moment".

Did I tell you guys the "story" of Jim, at Halfcow, after a long afternoon of Deer Chili and Cold Beer?
      He backed up a bit too close to the campfire.  :rotflmao: 
      Well,, ahh,  err,,,
            I'll end with; His nickname is now "Flash"...  :sign0137:

:sign0103:

Ok, back to the plannin'...
Bob and I will be coming in from Houston On Thursday.
Who else will be there when we arrive?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
gr33nmAn,, I'm glad you reminded me!
Speaking of frijoles and Halfcow Ranch,,, that reminds me of a Halfcow Ranch "moment".

Did I tell you guys the "story" of Jim, at Halfcow, after a long afternoon of Deer Chili and Cold Beer?
      He backed up a bit too close to the campfire.  :rotflmao: 
      Well,, ahh,  err,,,
            I'll end with; His nickname is now "Flash"...  :sign0137:

:sign0103:

Ok, back to the plannin'...
Bob and I will be coming in from Houston On Thursday.
Who else will be there when we arrive?

Ride safe, Ted

The wife and yours truly, a few riders coming down with me from DFW, there's another rider from OKC.......we will have a quorum! :campfire:

Craig

GREAT!!!!

I need someone to help me unload the trailer (as I'll be tired from the long trip)....  :nananana:  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
GREAT!!!!

I need someone to help me unload the trailer (as I'll be tired from the long trip)....  :nananana:  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

No prolly by golly!!!!! ;D

Craig

We'll be there Thur to crash your little party, Ted.  I hope this place has plenty of trailer space.  Us old farts can't ride that far any more.

We are glad to help both of your all and the weather will be much better than this and last week!!!!

Craig

I sure hope the weather is better than it has been lately.  I remember the very first rally out there.  Absolutely miserable weather....beautiful 70 day on the way out.  Woke up the next morning thinking I had the A/C turned up too high in the room.  Opened the door and got blasted with 19 weather!  Damn near froze riding home that Sun.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
I sure hope the weather is better than it has been lately.  I remember the very first rally out there.  Absolutely miserable weather....beautiful 70 day on the way out.  Woke up the next morning thinking I had the A/C turned up too high in the room.  Opened the door and got blasted with 19 weather!  Damn near froze riding home that Sun.

I've been watching the long wave pattern pretty closely and it looks like Texas will be back to more seasonable temps next week and beyond. ENSO is moving more toward neutral and I think a more drier regime for TX as well.

I think we will be looking at high 40s to low/mid 70s in Alpine on that week. I think we can rule out snow on the saddle and the rain picture will not be clear until the about the 12th and later. Model trends indicate that the ride should fine, but you also have to think about the route as well so I will update WX a little closer.

I tend to draw from many sources and not just the Farmers Almanac like a certain OtP Chief Slave Labor person does.  :rotflmao:

Craig

SC COG  Lead Forecaster and MIC

I tend to draw from many sources and not just the Farmers Almanac like a certain OtP Chief Slave Labor person does. :rotflmao:

Who,, me??
Ya'll are working to hard! 
I don't use no stinkin' weather service or Farmers Almanac.
I use SWAG.... (Scientific/Wild/A___d/{calculated}/GUESS)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Doug, I remember that trip. That's why we moved the Rally from February to March!!

ROOMS are still AVAILABLE at the MAVERICK INN !!!!!

Look at the first post in this thread for contact info.

If you are on the fence then this is the time to make the reservations.  Looks like weather in Alpine is going to be reasonably good at this time with sunny skies and normal temps.

Pamela and I are leaving DFW Thursday morning so the more the merrier!!! :motonoises:  Time to scrub some rubber and have fun during the start of SPRING!!! :motonoises: :campfire: :welcome:

Craig

Unfortunately had a work commitment scheduled this week.

Hate to miss a Big Bend ride.

Everybody ride safe.

Craig, what's the latest weather guestimate?
Earlier, I saw 30% chance of Rain Friday. But nice weather on Sat.
Has that changed?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Craig, what's the latest weather guestimate?
Earlier, I saw 30% chance of Rain Friday. But nice weather on Sat.
Has that changed?

Ride safe, Ted

Isolated to scattered on Friday and Saturday looks good with no precip.

Temps are seasonal with no arctic air so riding will be fine.

Sunday will be sunny.

Craig

WOOHOOO!!!  The countdown starts!  Looks like we'll be driving through some rain Thur here in East Tejas.  See y'all Thur afternoon sometime.

Hey, Ted, save me a trailer parking place.

I just checked The Weather Channel for Big Bend for Friday and Saturday and it shows an 80% chance of rain on Friday and 70% on Saturday. Not what I'd hoped for.

Bigfoot_16 said:
I just checked The Weather Channel for Big Bend for Friday and Saturday and it shows an 80% chance of rain on Friday and 70% on Saturday. Not what I'd hoped for.

Saturday will be fine. Friday will have isolated to scattered showers. It will not last all day.

Here's a much better way to look AT THE WEATHER:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=rain&w8=thunder&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&w13u=0&w16u=1&w17u=1&pqpfhr=6&AheadHour=0&FcstType=digital&textField1=30.388&textField2=-103.6393&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=&AheadDay.x=36&AheadDay.y=15

Tabular forecast gives you an hour by hour snapshot of the conditions for the forecast point above.

If it rains for 1 minute, then that is a 100% verification.

There's two distinct events coming.

The first is a cutoff low over the Baja that will change to an open wave. This is the heavier rain that will be seen on Tuesday with the rain continuing at times into Wednesday.

There might be a convection type shower late Thursday somewhere in the Trans Pecos, but it will not be a widespread stratiform type rain event.

Wave opens up more and there may be a little rain overnight Thursday into Friday morning and then clearing as more zonal flow affects the area with subsidence.

There will still be enough moisture at that altitude to have an afternoon thunderstorm after heating, but they will be isolated and you can see them unlike East Texas.

Saturday will gradually clear out as more zonal flow and subsidence continues.

Sunday will be bright sun,

All temps will be seasonal with 60's in the afternoon and mid 40's in the morning. You're at 4500' in Alpine.

Between the Davis Mountains to the north and the the great roads to the south, I have been able to pick routes and ride in accordance with what is going on.

This is what I forecast to happen and the ECMWF/GFS are in pretty good agreement on the overall picture.

Again, if there is a 70% chance for rain, does that mean 70% of the time it is raining?, No, it means that the  point has a 70% chance of seeing some rain during the forecast period.

I am riding down there on my C14.  :motonoises:  Choose your tolerance level Jim for what you want to do.

Craig,

Chief Meteorologist  ;D
SC COG

Craig, thanks for the incredibly thorough weather report. Dude, you should be on TV! I'll be there. I have rain gear. I rode in light rain almost all day this past Saturday and still had a great time. I apologize for casting a rain cloud mood in my previous post.

Bigfoot_16 said:
Craig, thanks for the incredibly thorough weather report. Dude, you should be on TV! I'll be there. I have rain gear. I rode in light rain almost all day this past Saturday and still had a great time. I apologize for casting a rain cloud mood in my previous post.

No prolly.......we might lose a campfire night or two(hope not), but Saturday after dinner looks OK for some campfire time for all! :campfire:

gr33nmAn

I checked The Weather Channel and Intellicast last night.  TWC said 60% Fri, 70% chance of rain Sat.  ???

Google is saying it's a 10hr drive from here, not including gas stops and bio breaks (and us old folks NEED bio breaks!)

See y'all late Thur afternoon/early evening (depending on bio breaks)

What's more important is the path and extent of area coverage as I explained earlier. The forecasts are all over the board, depending on whom you consult.

There will be plenty of good riding, it is just a matter of choosing when and where. PWAT values are not high so the rain will not be strangling frogs, if and when it occurs.

Now that the higher resolution models are initialized with closer to forecast time data, Friday may likely be the less rainy day than Saturday.

Where and when is the unknown, again the most rain forecasted is under a fifth of an inch on Saturday.

As always, we have dealt with the weather in the past and except for freezing rain/snow/sleet on a couple of years done well. The riding has been fine. Pretty large area to choose from so it's down to nowcasting at ride time. No sand blasting winds this time and no freezing arctic fronts. I like the fact this is ruled out for sure.

Every rider needs to choose their comfort level and make their own decisions regarding weather. The ride down and back is good from DFW as that phases between the first open wave and then the shortwave trough transiting the Trans Pecos area on Sat.

Craig

connie_rider said:
Leaving home for Alpine,,, NOW!!  :)
See ya'll there...  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

OK.......see you a little later today! ;D

gr33nmAn

We finally made it home about an hour ago. We left Alpine around 6am, headed up 67 to I10 then 385 up to I20.  We hit the most intense fog for the entire drive on 385 - almost 50 miles. Then we hit an accident just outside of Ft Worth. Finally made it home around 5:30pm

I had a great time even though I didn't get to ride this year.  It was great seeing some old friends again.

Many thanks to Craig for putting this thing on!

Thanks to the group of 18 who mastered the Big Bend Ride the Twisties weather and scrubbed some serious rubber!  :motonoises:

Pamela and I arrived home safely yesterday afternoon and hope to hear all others back as well.

Lemonade from lemons was the catch phrase!

A full ride report will be published in the Spring SC Newsletter as well as pictures.

Craig

We made it home; safe (and also sound) yesterday.
Had a great time!!

There was a lot of rain and fog, but (even if we hadn't been able to ride) just being with other COGgers made the trip enjoyable.
Luckily; Each day, we "did" find Sunshine (South of Alpine), played in the twisties, and saw some amazing country.
Lots of Bluebonnets and Desert Flowers.

Ride safe, Ted

smithr1 said:
Looks like lots of sun in that video.  Lots of flowers compared to other years too.

Once you rode down to the lower altitudes the riding was great. Fred might have made that video on Sunday.

I saw bluebonnets on the River Road over two feet tall and the largest clumps I had ever seen over the last 14 years.

I enjoyed seeing new things and WX conditions this year. We'll cover all of this in the newsletter.

SPEAKING OF........please forward pics or links to pictures to yours truly for the newsletter. If you need an email address, just PM me and I will contact you off this thread.

Craig

connie_rider said:
Haven't heard from Big Jim??

Jim, are ya out there?
Did-ya make it home??

Ride safe, Ted

We left Jim who was trailering in Brownwood when he stopped to tighten some tie downs.

We did go with him to pick up his car and trailer and load in San Angelo.

Greg made it home as we split off from him in Stephenville. Not everybody checks in.......

Craig

Thanks, Ted. Yes, I made it home fine and trust you did as well. Craig, Pamela, Greg and Kate accompanied me to the Honda dealership in San Angelo to pick up my van Sunday afternoon. They were kind enough to help me load my bike on my trailer. We caravanned to Brownwood, where I had to make a stop for re-securing the tie downs.

I'm very thankful that the dealership was able to get the new starter for my van from Dallas and install in on Saturday. The service manager was kind enough to meet me at the dealership on Sunday afternoon (normally closed) so I could pick up my van. That worked out really well.

The solo ride to Alpine Thursday night during a thunderstorm had me question my sanity quite often. In the end, I'm glad I persevered and did it. It was great to ride with everyone and share stories, meals, the beautiful scenery of west Texas, etc. I look forward to the Wildflower ride in a couple of weeks.