• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The Connie Situation

mrinnocent

Because you've got to appreciate just how explosive this Connie situation is, I'm putting my ride reports here. I've had this 2014 ~15k mile bike for two weeks and just added Murph's risers and wedges on Friday.

First report! On Saturday we rode Oakland to Petaluma on 101 and then up PCH through Mendocino to Ft. Bragg. Sunday we rode down to Elk, then up to 128 to come inland and back home via 101. The risers and wedges made a huge difference in visibility, as well as for back and wrist comfort.

More notably, it was windy headed north, with some pucker butt moments going over some narrow, high bridges, and it was even more windy with strong gusts headed south. So, I'm used to riding much lighter bikes with less traction and looser suspension. I have plenty of experience riding in the wind, and when it's dry I mostly see it as work. Lean into the wind, and when gusts hit, let the bike wander under me as I keep in it the lane. Scary if close to a car (which I try to avoid but sometimes no choice), but otherwise fine. But the Connie is so heavy and powerful that it's much more stable and moves much less. Like I'd feel a gust hit me and anticipate the wander but very little would happen. The extra power also helps the bike resist the wind and pass as needed. That said, on PCH I ended up riding a gear lower to cruise at 4-5k, resulting in 30 mpg at 40-50 mph. I think a flash would help a lot here.

Best of all and most importantly, my wife loves the bike. She feels safe on it, like it's very stable and seems substantial. It's the least uncomfortable bike she's been on, normally she'd be in pain after a five hour day but she was only a little sore from using different muscles.

Things I learned:
  • I'm used to bikes (middleweight adv) with weak brakes that dive on braking. The Connie, on the other hand, begins slowing as soon as you intimate the notion. Like you think about braking, and the C14 is like WE STOP NOW. As such, it only needs two fingers, not a fistful of lever.
  • The throttle is very sensitive. I just read about a braking technique in Total Control where you begin braking and then ease off the throttle, keeping the bike in dynamic tension. This worked really well to keep the bike from getting blown around when i might otherwise coast, and it made braking much smoother with the suspension more settled.
  • The bike doesn't need to be babysat in the wind.
  • The range sucks. I'm used to 200 mi. minimum, and I'm fueling up after 120-150 mi. I hope a flash takes care of this.
  • Risers + wedges = touring domination.
Things I'm thinking about:
  • Dude lowering pegs omg. My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference. My knees are creaking and my heels are getting numb. No bueno.
  • The flash, like I mentioned.
  • Playing with the preload settings. They seem good fully loaded so I probably need to dial them down when solo.
I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them and I'm too lazy to mess around with a third party service. Ride safe, all!

I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them
After the recent software upgrade, the site does host photos. But you have to be a member for that feature to work.
Playing with the preload settings.
The so called preload settings only raise the bike up and down. You can gain about .62" on the front from lowest to highest position, if your bottoming out. I'm not sure of the adjustment range on the rear. If you raise the bike all the way up and are still bottoming out, then you'll need different springs.
My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference.
Highway pegs are available from Ronnies pegs, he's a Cog vender.
I think a flash would help a lot here.
A flash helps all aspects of performance.

Last edited:
  • The range sucks. I'm used to 200 mi. minimum, and I'm fueling up after 120-150 mi. I hope a flash takes care of this.
I found I can regularly go 220 miles not getting into the reserve before needing fuel for the 11 1/2 years of ownership of my 09. (bought 12/08) I got myself the MRP for Christmas. I went to the Bun Cooler in ID. For me, this is an all day affair. I gained an honest 10% increase in gas mileage with the stock bazooka. This included all types of riding. Now I've added a Black Widow can. I have not gone on a mileage test yet. Tp be honest, 220 miles is about the time I need to get off the thing for a break.

I will do a full review of the Kawasaki Touring seat and MRP when I get some long days on it. Observations so far is the seat cover doesn't allow one to slide in the seat which keeps you from crowding the tank. A good thing.

I found I can regularly go 220 miles not getting into the reserve before needing fuel for the 11 1/2 years of ownership of my 09. (bought 12/08) I got myself the MRP for Christmas. I went to the Bun Cooler in ID. For me, this is an all day affair. I gained an honest 10% increase in gas mileage with the stock bazooka. This included all types of riding. Now I've added a Black Widow can. I have not gone on a mileage test yet.

I will do a full review of the Kawasaki Touring seat and MRP when I get some long days on it. Observations so far is the seat cover doesn't allow one to slide in the seat which keeps you from crowding the tank. A good thing.

Christmas of what year? By MRP I'm guessing you mean Mountain Runner Premium.

Yes, a flash should help here. See the product review post I wrote up on my fuel mileage improvement after going with an ECU flash.

• Dude lowering pegs omg. My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference. My knees are creaking and my heels are getting numb. No bueno.

This is one of those personal preference/comfort/performance things. I have same inseam and find the riding position satisfactory and do not wish to sacrifice lean angle. Go with what works best for you.

I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them and I'm too lazy to mess around with a third party service. Ride safe, all!
As mentioned, direct uploads is one of the forum features reserved only for full club members.

Photos!

My wife loves the bike so much, she did a little dance.

C5A12E53-085D-4C32-AFAF-115C4644B719_1_105_c.jpeg

Only the finest, most premium Mendocino artisanal small batch fuel for The Connie Situation. Only $7/gal!

3E999047-4727-4C09-94B6-5607E9D50922_1_105_c.jpeg

Photo from not this trip, but from when I first got the bike, up at The Wall, just because.

138028B0-162E-41B4-B358-FD0EDBBF0AD9_1_105_c.jpeg

120-150 on a tank is too low.
I suspect your adding fuel before needed. Possibly the gauge is reading wrong?
How many gallons are you adding at those low mileages?
If your adding 5 gallons and going 150 miles, that would be only 30 mpg.
If your adding 5 gallons and going 120 miles, that would be only 24 mpg.

I prefer to trailer to the events, so most of my riding is "at" events with most of miles playing in the twisties.
Very little of my miles are cruising...
I average 44 mpg. {x5 gallons is 220 miles}
NOTE: I have the Mountain Runner Premium that Tim mentioned.

Ride safe, Ted

120-150 on a tank is too low.
I suspect your adding fuel before needed. Possibly the gauge is reading wrong?
How many gallons are you adding at those low mileages?
If your adding 5 gallons and going 150 miles, that would be only 30 mpg.
If your adding 5 gallons and going 120 miles, that would be only 24 mpg.

I prefer to trailer to the events, so most of my riding is "at" events with most of miles playing in the twisties.
Very little of my miles are cruising...
I average 44 mpg. {x5 gallons is 220 miles}
NOTE: I have the Mountain Runner Premium that Tim mentioned.

Ride safe, Ted
The $7/Gal pic showed 4.1 gals pumped (pay attention Ted).

I have put 5.6 Gals into the tank before - that is not advised… lol

MrInnocent (from looks of pics I am guessing that’s changed 👍) replace your air filter and make certain tires are aired up good. Engine oil, rear drive…

Also may be getting close to a valve adjustment which that can suck some mpg if they’re a bit tight… which is normal.

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback! Here are my Fuelly logs so far. The earliest calculation is unreliable, but the rest are solid.

1624826789242.png

I took the bike in for a 15k and haven't filled up since, but the air filter got replaced, as did the fluids, so we'll see what happens. I'm fastidious about tire pressure and I keep them at 42 psi. When I got the 15k done, upon pickup I asked for the shim readings but they said they already threw the sheet way, but the technician said the shims didn't need alteration and I think the quote was, "some of the exhaust values were a little tight". I understand that to mean on the tight side but within spec. I'll check the ECU soon for flash markings and/or ping the the flashers to see if they have records of my bike, but I'd be very surprised at this point if the bike has had a flash given the MPG I'm seeing.

I've got 230 per tank many times, While I have had the MRP flash & currently have the Hammer flash I ALWAYS have gotten the best miles per gallon in the factory eco mode. The one thing I found is that when the bikes low fuel dash take over thing happens I always had about 1 1/2 gallons left. Years ago I got the fuel dongle thing that lets your miles left remain on the dash & will count down all the way to zero. I think BDF used to make & sell them. That has let me get the most miles out of my tank since I don't worry about the miles left count down going away & leaving me guessing how much fuel is left.

We 2-up average 36 - 37 mpg with the hammer down, mix of twisties / mtn play and extended high speed super-slab.

We can achieve low 50’s when being responsible on a back Hwy ~ 60 mph - who does that????

Ted, you toothless sloth...

Firstly, I actually only weigh a mere 144.25 pounds. If not for my riding gear, my C14 wouldn't knowed I was on its back.

Secondly, I only use the highest quality top tier fuel that money can buy, the good stuff, E0, 89 octane, very much in abundance here in Wyoming. Not like the corn ethanol (rot-gut) diluted stuff found in the Texas lower wasteland.

Thirdly, since I have no legs to speak of, my highly aerodynamic pointed head never goes above the stock windshield, which is almost always in the down position, so that my overall wind resistance is at an OEM minimum.

Fourthly, my home elevation, well over a mile above sea level, where the air is so thin, there is little to no measurable wind resistance to speak of.

Lastly, and most important of all, I just happen to have the fastest and slippery-est C14 color that was ever formulated. NASA has yet to copy the secret KAW color formula and apply it to their rockets, which would reduce fuel consumption by 11.3%.

Now that you knowed the truth, I have one last thingy to convey to you...

joker.gif

LOL!! 🤣

I forgot to mention; Ya prolly get the high MPG because "Everywhere you ride" is downhill from you location.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Ah ain't a toothless Sloth; I does have "a" tooth. 🥴

I am basically "two up" all the time as a 300 lb rider. And I consistently get 48-50 MPH on my daily 96 mile commute to and from work. I climb a mountain in the morning which kills the average MPG, but I get most of it back on my trip down the mountain. I average close to 50 MPH because it is 48 miles each way with the numerous 180 degree turns on the mountain road and it takes about 1 hour each way. When I can get the speed up I hover around 70-75 and I have not noticed any mileage difference with ECO on or off. I fill up twice a week. Once Sunday evening, and once mid week.

Harry, I prefer the climb up the mountain more than the decent. So all downhill must get on your nerves. :ROFLMAO: I think my apprehension with the decent is from some of my winter experiences on slick roads in my Subaru when braking. There have been more than a few close calls where there was zero traction and the descent got far too exciting. During those events the holes in the seat came from let's say excessive "pucker"....😮

I am basically "two up" all the time as a 300 lb rider.
My wife and I got you by about 100lbs, found my spring for the Penske shock is a little touchy when adjusting for one person. We are 99% two-up but due to some events I’m solo the next few weeks and we’ll it’s been a learning curve.

Man I’m jealous, at least during the summer I thinking your ride to work and back must be awesome 😎…!

I wish my wife was not such a coward when it comes to bikes now. When we were dating (35) years ago, she had no problem saddling up on the back of my FJ1100 or Hurricane. Soon after she became a mom, overnight the bike was off limits to her. I have never put a scratch on any bike I have owned with or without her on it, yet she is now afraid to ride - period.

But I have always been about no limits when it comes to my perspective on life and age. As she has gotten older she creates new limits for herself daily and "trys" to do so with me - not happening. I'm very responsible in life, but I refuse to stop living my life as I age due to fear. Fear, and more so, fear due to a lack of understanding should not dominate you. When we were newly weds she would not fly, she has gotten past that almost irrational fear only to replace it with other limits and non-sense. But she's a great girl in spite of all this, and we press on!

It truly is a great ride in the morning and tolerable in the afternoons when it thermometer passes 110 degrees in Lucerne Valley. Even the lizards and snakes out there bitch about the heat! :ROFLMAO: And I admit, sometimes I just drive when it is exceptionally hot. But the mountain twisties truly make it worth the half of the trip that is just flat and very hot desert. The mornings when it is cool there is nothing quite like it.

Not lately... reconstructing that whole interchange.... we've got a few spots where jerry likes to go go gooooo...