• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The Dragon, Cherohala, Moonshiner28, etc..

aneura

Good day,

Kim & I are planning a week long trip in the aforementioned area this fall, we're from the Seattle area and have lived in Florida for a few years, so the entire area up there is alien to us.. I don't even know where to begin!  What we'd like to do is hit as many of the major roads as we can whilst doing as little backtracking as possible.. We're seasoned all-day riders in the mountains (WA, OR, ID, MT, BC, AB), looking for advice (maps preferable) on routes to hit as much as possible within a week-ish.  I've looks at tons of maps online, bu they all focus on one area or another, I've been unable to find anything that combines more than the 'Smokey Mountain Loop'.

Any advice, help & routes/maps are appreciated!

Thanks!
-Eric

Aneura said:
Good day,

Kim & I are planning a week long trip in the aforementioned area this fall, we're from the Seattle area and have lived in Florida for a few years, so the entire area up there is alien to us.. I don't even know where to begin!  What we'd like to do is hit as many of the major roads as we can whilst doing as little backtracking as possible.. We're seasoned all-day riders in the mountains (WA, OR, ID, MT, BC, AB), looking for advice (maps preferable) on routes to hit as much as possible within a week-ish.  I've looks at tons of maps online, bu they all focus on one area or another, I've been unable to find anything that combines more than the 'Smokey Mountain Loop'.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Check out: http://www.wildrides.info/maps/

I have a large paper map of the online one. There are a lot of featured, exciting rides on this map, in the TN, north GA and North Carolina areas.

My wife and I, along with some buddies, are doing The Gauntlet in N. GA the end of this month. LOTS of twisties for 133 miles.

The Gauntlet at: http://www.gauntletga.com/index.cfm?content=1&Menu=1
You can download The Gauntlet map from the home page.

Hope this helps some,
David

Three restaurant recommendations:

Mountain Fresh Grocery Highlands, NC (breakfast/lunch)

City Restaurant (breakfast) Franklin, NC

Hole in the Wall, Blairsville GA  (all day breakfast)

Road Runner said:
Aneura said:
Good day,

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Check out: http://www.wildrides.info/maps/

I have a large paper map of the online one. There are a lot of featured, exciting rides on this map, in the TN, north GA and North Carolina areas.

My wife and I, along with some buddies, are doing The Gauntlet in N. GA the end of this month. LOTS of twisties for 133 miles.

The Gauntlet at: http://www.gauntletga.com/index.cfm?content=1&Menu=1
You can download The Gauntlet map from the home page.

Hope this helps some,
David

I'll check it out thanks!!

ron203 said:
Three restaurant recommendations:

Mountain Fresh Grocery Highlands, NC (breakfast/lunch)

City Restaurant (breakfast) Franklin, NC

Hole in the Wall, Blairsville GA  (all day breakfast)

You must like breakfast!  Thanks for this, its my favorite meal of the day..in-fact I generally eat breakfast twice a day.  lol

From Clayton, GA, you can take Warwomen Rd to Hwy 28 N, which will take you all the way to the Dragon.

In Franklin NC, my FAVORITE French Restaurant located in a gas Station is Cafe Rel.

For lodging, you can stay at Iron Horse MC as they have cabins you can rent or stay at Fontana Village which has lodge rooms or cabins.

If you haven't been on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you can head over to Cherokee and catch the parkway from there and take it to Ashville. You can either take Hwy 276 North to Blue Ridge MC and rent a camping cabin or just past Hwy 276 on the BRP is the Mt Pisgah Inn, which has a decent restaurant as well as lodging.

Just north of Waynesville is Hwy 209 which is the Rattler, take it to Hot Springs NC. If you continue down the BRP past Asheville, visit Mt Mitchell and then past that is Little Switzerland which has a nice hotel/restaurant and their is the Little Switzerland Cafe (try the Trout  BLT).  Hwy 226A (The Diamond Back) starts/ends at Little Switzerland.

Also, don't by pass North Georgia on your way up/back as we have some most excellent roads as well.

About N. Georgia - I accept any excuse to be a tour guide, willingly, and with low pay to boot  :beerchug: as do several other COG members in the area. Feel welcome to drop us a line and ask questions. You might also want to wander through the archives to find the 2016 Rally ride information. That National was based in Helen, GA. Further west but still well in North Georgia one of my favorite spins is over Fort Mountain between Chatsworth and Ellijay.

Just my own .02
Find a scenic route around Atlanta
North of Dawsonville/Dahlonega Bad roads do not exist
If your camping I would look at bouncing around some of the MC campgrounds Start with TWOS and follow along the BRP :motonoises:
Volcantour said:
About N. Georgia - I accept any excuse to be a tour guide, willingly, and with low pay to boot  :beerchug: as do several other COG members in the area. Feel welcome to drop us a line and ask questions. You might also want to wander through the archives to find the 2016 Rally ride information. That National was based in Helen, GA. Further west but still well in North Georgia one of my favorite spins is over Fort Mountain between Chatsworth and Ellijay.
And I would take Volcantour up on his offer