• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The rebuild begins Stealth's C10

stealthedgt46943

Well as some of you all know, I inherited my 05 c10 from my father, it had been sitting in storage and upon bringing it back to life I encountered the much feared hydrolock. I will be posting photo's as I make progress on the bike, I did follow Steve's video and tested for any rod damage and none was found. during the work week it will be hard for me to wrench as I am also a dad of 2 yrold twins. I will post updates of progress or discoveries or modifications as I make them while learning all I can about this bike. I did join with full membership because I am going to need all the help I can get as normally/daily I am a diesel tech professionally. My question to the group is, can a pdf version of the Service Manual be found, where I have the bike setup in the garage I have a large screen connected to a shop computer and I prefer using pdf books as its easier to search and read while wrenching.

Don't mind the mess I plan on getting it reorganized this weekend but I got home and got 5 minutes to remove the left inner fairings before I got scolded for not helping with the twins lol.
20220622_165901.jpg

Thank you, both of them interested in tools and love taking things apart. My wife just surprised me with a guardian bell for the bike.
Awesome on the guardian bell. We have two of them on our machine, they silently ring at idle and follow us everywhere we go.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Well 2nd day into having covid I got stir crazy and snuck into the garage and got the carbs out finally.

Attachments

• 20220624_192139.jpg
    20220624_192139.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 78
so being a diesel tech I don't know much about carbs, but I do have a service manual now, should I try taking them apart and cleaning myself or send them off for complete service? if I do it myself I will finally have the excuse to buy a larger ultrasonic cleaner for the garage lol. upon removing the carbs and using choice words I discovered a few things I need to hunt down on the bike, there is a small oil leak somewhere the bottom of the plastics was coated so I will be steaming the bike down to hunt the source of the leak. I am thinking of doing a full service to the bike and changing and cleaning out all the reservoirs. when I roll this bike out I want to be sure its safe and ready to ride because I live in the Ozarks there are a lot of roads I am excited to tour especially to Eureka Springs and then over to Branson, MO.

Last edited:
When going back together with it, pay attention to the small rubber L from bottom of air box to, I think a breather, below the air box.. If that isn't connected some grimyness of oil can accumulate. Your leak may well be forward of this and more of a real leak. Just make sure that L is connected.

Can anyone spot the problem children lol

Attachments

• 20220625_113712.jpg
    20220625_113712.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220625_113606.jpg
    20220625_113606.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220625_113559.jpg
    20220625_113559.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 114
This is about as far as I am going today, I am out of energy. I was able to put the carb hats, bowls, needles, jets, floats and mounting hardware in the ultrasonic cleaner and got a ton of crap out of everything. I may order a rebuild kit, and I know I will be sending the bowls to Steve for the modification to keep from hydrolocking again.

Attachments

• 20220625_141429.jpg
    20220625_141429.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220625_155624.jpg
    20220625_155624.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 99
Sorry for being Mia, life had a lot of other routes for me but I am swinging back to this, I have a question. I was just gifted a set if carbs of a zx11, would the work on my 05?

Stealthed-gt4694,
if you look through the forum and tech pages you'll find that some folks have tried to turn the C-10 motor back into the Ninja motor it was derived from. Here's part of the issue for me on doing that. a. the C-10 is heavier than the Ninja by approx 200 lbs or more. b. The Ninja motor was optimized for high rpm horsepower and the carbs/cams/exhaust and tuning reflect that. Being a bunch heavier and not being a track toy, in general, it takes torque for our C10s more than peak HP to get the best out of them, in my opinion. Where do you spend most of your riding time? If it is at a track, in the upper RPM area of the motor, then of course tweaking for peak HP makes more sense. If most of the riding time is spent in the 3K to 7K region, then maximizing torque in that RPM band would make most sense. SISF has several tweaks for the C10 to that effect. If you just like to tinker, that's different entirely, have fun. try them both out (stock carb set and zx11 carb set) and see which one works best for you.

I hope the resurrection of your C10 motor is coming along since you last posted.
-tdbru