• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thinner seat options for the passenger?

vincenstuff

BLUF: does anyone have a pic of the height of the 86-93 OEM passenger seat over the passenger grab bars? Side view with a ruler would be awesome.

I'm refurbishing a recently adopted 2001 C10, and I just found out the miss' can't reach the passenger grab bars...  :rotflmao:

She's pretty short and can't hold them without hunching over a bit. Being all of 5'6" myself, I'm considering a lowered seat as well but the bike becomes redundant if the little lady can't hang on...

After reading a few threads, I understand the 86-93 seats have a flatter profile and will fit, but are they actually lower for the passenger? Can't really tell if Corbin or Day Long seats are lower but I'd imagine they're same or thicker since they're aiming for comfort.

Appreciate any info or advice!

Cheers,
Vince L.

The early model seat is thinner in the passenger section than the later model seat. I'd say an honest inch?at least?

Picture attached of an early model C10.

HTH

Attachments

• Concours-Left-Side1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 136
Appreciate that. I've been looking at stock profile photos and it seems to be shorter, but internet photo's from the 90's aren't exactly super high res.

Just occurs to me to count pixels per inch based on the rim diameter... maybe I can figure something out.

Briefly considered replacing the miss' for two-up rides, but being married for 22 years apparently makes that an expensive proposition...

She is better off holding on to you than to the grab rails.
That way she will feel what you are doing.
This is an ST bike, not a SofaBarge  :rotflmao:

My better half used to fall asleep on the back.
No danger of her going anywhere with a trunk behind her, sidebags either side, and a Boomer in front.  :great:
That was on a Daylong saddle though and that is so high that she can't reach the grab handles at all.
New_Otto4.jpg

Well, I put the miss' on the bike anyway and she did just fine. She can reach the grab bars, but it's not super easy for her. Bike came with a Givi top case with back rest, so she stayed on the bike well enough. Holding me isn't much of an option until I get the bars raised a bit.

Looks like we're keeping it, so I'll shop around for an earlier seat plus some other bits.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Vince L.

MotoWojo said:
Boomer,
You’re rotors are looking a little rusty... you need to ride more.  :motonoises:  ;)
:rotflmao:
That pic was from 10 years ago after a fairing rebuild and respray.
At that point he hadn't been ridden for months.
He is now a totally different colour and has 30k more miles and new rotors & caliper brackets.

Attachments

• Boomer&Otto.jpg
    Boomer&Otto.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Otto side.jpg
    Otto side.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 130
Hey, that's more like it, keep those rotors warm and shiny.

And I don't suppose anyone misses seeing you on the road with that shade on the bike... my blue connie isn't too bad, but the little SR400 is about as visible as a sleeping church mouse

She is better off holding on to you than to the grab rails.
That way she will feel what you are doing.
No danger of her going anywhere with a trunk behind her, side bags either side, and a Boomer you in front.

I hate to admit this,,,, but I agree with Boomer.
    DO NOT TELL ANYONE I SED THAT!!!!!

Add a trunk, use the side bags, and have her place her hands on your sides.
She'll be totally secure feeling and know what your doing.
As a result, she'll move with you.

Ride safe, Ted

Good to hear this. All our 2 up time has been on flat Japanese standard bench seats... so she of course holds on just fine.

Cycle-ergo puts me leaning forward 21 degrees with the stock bars. A 3 inch pull back and an inch higher puts me at the 10 degree lean we're used to. The miss' should have a better grip then.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Attachments

• kawi.png
    kawi.png
    187 KB · Views: 136
Our c10 was the first bike my wife didn't have a backrest on. (40 years of riding now) She never had the feeling that she would slide or tip off the back. I don't think she knows there are grab bars on the bike. Always just holds on to my sides. Being smooth with your riding style also helps. At this point she can anticipate my riding almost before I think about it. No helmet kisses and I feel her tighten her knees before I roll on to pass.

If they feel unstable your kidneys will inform you  :-\
Mine smacks me on the back of the helmet first, then the kidney punches start if I don't behave.  :rotflmao:
A trunk with a pad on it helps a lot but in our case (since neither of us are slim) she preferred it without the pad, and I even moved the trunk back a little.

Boomer said:
If they feel unstable your kidneys will inform you  :-\
Mine smacks me on the back of the helmet first, then the kidney punches start if I don't behave.  :rotflmao:

We got past that a while ago. That kidney punch is a real eye opener.  :-\

We got to test ride both a c14 and a Triumph back in 08 two up. What a difference in ride for my wife. On the Triumph she got a real work out just to stay on. Gripping with her knees and hands and almost knocking me off the bike with every brake application. On the c14 not an issue.

I have now added a passenger backrest and rack to our 99 and the 05 came with a trunk. I wanted the bigger rack and the backrest because I got it with it. I don't know that she knows they are back there but they can make your passenger feel more secure.

Only have about 200 miles riding with the miss' in tow and that's all on a 400cc single...

Haven't needed a kidney focused reminder yet but this bike definitely has more WTF potential. Luckily it came with a Givi top case so at the least, she won't fall of the back too easily.

Thanks all for the tips!

Attachments

• KIMG0997.JPG
    KIMG0997.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 127