• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thoughts after 3 weeks owning 2008 Concours 14

PNWWVUELKMAN

WVUElkman
I got a 08 Concours 14 with 7k on it 2.5 weeks ago.
I only moved from sport bike to the concours due to disabled vet and I had a knee joint replacement last year. During the first couple weeks rehabbing I found out about the concours 14s and decided that was what I needed.
After my 1983 Honda Interceptor and getting a liter bike I didn’t think I’d ever go back to not laying on my tank.
Last of my sports bike was a 08 cbr1000rr that I got new in 08 and kept till 18 when knees to bad to ride it. I normally put 7-8k a year on it. Track days a year and couple hundred mile wv then wa mountain road runs a weekend. Rides especially early am rides were more in triple digits then double.

Living here in WA state since 14 and will be using it mainly for my 4 day a week 130 mile commute to work and back. I go against the city traffic and 1/2 my commute each way is in the mountains that come to get their twistie thrills on weekends. I still like to play going to work at sun up when roads are empty.

Purchasing the bike a couple hours away, I was glad they helped load it up on my truck and I didn’t have to do it myself.

She is a beast when pushing pulling and unloading off the back of a truck. Much different then my 380 lb CBR was.
A smile hit the face once moving. It feels like a different machine once moving. Turns are amazing for her size and if I hadn’t been on new liter bikes I would have thought it impossible to be any better.
Took first week to make my arms automatically not drop to my knees and ride all the way forward. Probably downshifted when wanting to up shift a couple times the first 2-3 days. Luckily at lazy straight away speeds with cars in front so no ruh ruh feeling.

After first couple days, I don’t know why I drove hours a day in pain and didn’t make a move to a sport touring bike sooner. Bike is like a dream. Good power when you need/want it. Can drop into turns and hammer out that makes me forget I’m not on my cbr. And no head wobble when working up triple digits.

First 3 commuting days were rainy and the windshield is worth gold for keeping rain and the cold 34deg morning air off.

I got black widow full exhaust with can from fed ex last night and putting on today or tomorrow. Hope to be sending ecu to Steve for flash the end of next week and when back from vacation the week of the 4th. I’ll be able to see what she’s really like.
Been meaning to hop on. This site was great when thinking about getting a concours.

Buke had a Corbin seat and I ordered a back rest that I take on and off for wife or grandkids. First time wife has rode since the old interceptor. Grandkids all live riding. Another plus.
I know this was lengthy.

I got a 08 Concours 14 with 7k on it 2.5 weeks ago.
I only moved from sport bike to the concours due to disabled vet and I had a knee joint replacement last year. During the first couple weeks rehabbing I found out about the concours 14s and decided that was what I needed.
After my 1983 Honda Interceptor and getting a liter bike I didn’t think I’d ever go back to not laying on my tank.
Last of my sports bike was a 08 cbr1000rr that I got new in 08 and kept till 18 when knees to bad to ride it. I normally put 7-8k a year on it. Track days a year and couple hundred mile wv then wa mountain road runs a weekend. Rides especially early am rides were more in triple digits then double.

Living here in WA state since 14 and will be using it mainly for my 4 day a week 130 mile commute to work and back. I go against the city traffic and 1/2 my commute each way is in the mountains that come to get their twistie thrills on weekends. I still like to play going to work at sun up when roads are empty.

Purchasing the bike a couple hours away, I was glad they helped load it up on my truck and I didn’t have to do it myself.

She is a beast when pushing pulling and unloading off the back of a truck. Much different then my 380 lb CBR was.
A smile hit the face once moving. It feels like a different machine once moving. Turns are amazing for her size and if I hadn’t been on new liter bikes I would have thought it impossible to be any better.
Took first week to make my arms automatically not drop to my knees and ride all the way forward. Probably downshifted when wanting to up shift a couple times the first 2-3 days. Luckily at lazy straight away speeds with cars in front so no ruh ruh feeling.

After first couple days, I don’t know why I drove hours a day in pain and didn’t make a move to a sport touring bike sooner. Bike is like a dream. Good power when you need/want it. Can drop into turns and hammer out that makes me forget I’m not on my cbr. And no head wobble when working up triple digits.

First 3 commuting days were rainy and the windshield is worth gold for keeping rain and the cold 34deg morning air off.

I got black widow full exhaust with can from fed ex last night and putting on today or tomorrow. Hope to be sending ecu to Steve for flash the end of next week and when back from vacation the week of the 4th. I’ll be able to see what she’s really like.
Been meaning to hop on. This site was great when thinking about getting a concours.

Buke had a Corbin seat and I ordered a back rest that I take on and off for wife or grandkids. First time wife has rode since the old interceptor. Grandkids all live riding. Another plus.
I know this was lengthy.

Nice job with the write-up. Thanks for sharing that with us! Glad to hear you get to enjoy your commutes, and not just playtime on weekends. Makes owning the C14 so much more incredible/valuable. And the bonus of momma & kiddos riding along brings the fun factor up to top the charts I'm imagining. Welcome, and now go ahead and sign up as a member of the club amigo! :^ ) AB

Last of my sports bike was a 08 cbr1000rr

Living here in WA state since 14 and will be using it mainly for my 4 day a week 130 mile commute to work and back. I go against the city traffic and 1/2 my commute each way is in the mountains that come to get their twistie thrills on weekends.
Welcome to Connie world. Thinking you'll get about 150% of the tire life that you had with your liter bike. I'm over in TriCities, WA. Also, look at the NorthWest section of forum to find area COG rides.

Elkman -
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us and more happy you have found joy in riding again both for yourself and also wife and eventually grandkids.

I think you will find a new world with the C14 that was not available on your previous liters, extended days, versatility, comfort and desire to ride.

Hope you become a member, lots of great folks here to enjoy all aspects of C14 ownership including the camaraderie (sometimes the group can be too close and we fight like siblings), rides, maintenance (yes you can actually enjoy the zen of a valve clearance service), farkle-mania and a few of us who like to light the road on 🔥.

Wayne

I know you all probably already know this or you wouldn’t be on the concours, but I’ve just realized I have been hanging on for so long most the excitement had left. I thought I was done on pavement. Didn’t see myself riding anything else.

I forgot some other important notes.

Love the side boxes. No more strapping laptop and backpack to passenger seat on cbr if you can call it much of one.

I also realized I’m going to have to get back on a racetrack again. Don’t think I could get back on my racing rearsets again, but some hard charging C14 YouTube vids out there on tracks.

Left knee with replacement still tough at times to shift on the C14. Also putting off the right replacement for another year or two so still not much on using rear brakes. Last bike never saw rear pads needing replaced.

With the mileage I put on going to use up the new tires the dealer put on when I got it before getting a set more tailored to my wants. So even with taking it easier then normal on turns wet/dry it handles excellent. She effortlessly straighten up the 15-25 mph turns.

But the most important thing, she’s not painfull to ride when only doing 4-5 over the speed limit for long haul.

Elkman, welcome to the Forum. Your gonna like it here.
You sound like a lot of us. {Thought you were done with riding, but came back with a Concours}

Charlie Gary and his buddies recently did the "Longest Day Ride" in your area.
Plus, last year, we "almost" had our COG National in the area.
Sadly, Covid messed that up. o_O
{Many of us are hoping to actually do a National there in the next few years}
If so, Come ride with us!!

I also did the knee replacement and do fine now. It takes awhile before the knee pain completely goes away while riding.
Patience, it will get better.

NOTE: If you can, don't lower the pegs for the knee.
ie; Non lowered pegs are better for a Track day.
Don't ask me how I know. <sneaky Grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: