• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Threadlock for brake rotor fasteners

gr8scott

Yo all,

I pulled off the rear brake rotor and the fasteners had red threadlock compound on them. Since I destroyed the head of one of them, I have some spares coming from eBay, where all the pictured fasteners also show red threadlock compound. Clymer says to reassemble with Loctite 242, which is blue (removable). Loctite Red 271 is "permanent."

So what's up with red compound being applied at the factory (the rotor has never been off before), but on replacement you're supposed to use blue?

Scott

All it takes to break the bond of red threadlock is a bit of heat.
I have always used blue and never had a problem.

I have always used blue and never had a problem.
What rwulf said. I replaced a front and a rear rotor on my 09 (yeah I know this is C10 Chat and Tech) and used blue on all. Nothing has come loose so far. As I remember I applied some heat to the bolt heads with my propane torch. It really didn't take a lot of heat to get them to break free. I probably heated the bolt head for 10 seconds or so. Then used a allen socket with a and popped the bolt free. I finished taking them out after all the bolts were free. When replaced, I used blue lock tight and tightened with a torque wrench according to the book.

The red thread lock found on Japenese factory installed parts is equivalent to our blue thread locker.
Having done a few brake rotor removals/installs for myself and fellow riders, a little propane torch heat applied to the bolts helps immensely in the removal of the fasteners.

Greenie they are talking about the rotor bolts. Yup Japan red is equivalent to Loctite blue. I just put a couple of drops on the beginning of the threads. I run a tap in the bolt holes and wire brush the bolts to clean out the remnants of the thread lock. As stated heat is your friend. I take the rotors off for tire changes and never found a loose bolt.

I have always used blue and never had a problem
Heat/no heat was not the issue. I was expecting blue and was surprised to find red. Didn't know that Japanese red is US blue (per Victor Salisbury above). That's all. The fastener I ruined was because the allen socket wasn't properly seated in the bolt head before I gave the breaker bar a good twist. And it was the last of the six, of all things. Already had five out before I toasted the sixth.

I ended up gently hammering in a standard allen key into the bolt hole to try and re-hex it. I eventually got enough bite with the socket to get a couple of twists out, then grabbed the head with locking pliers for the rest of the way. Spares are on the way.

Scott

Heat/no heat was not the issue. I was expecting blue and was surprised to find red. Didn't know that Japanese red is US blue (per Victor Salisbury above). That's all. The fastener I ruined was because the allen socket wasn't properly seated in the bolt head before I gave the breaker bar a good twist. And it was the last of the six, of all things. Already had five out before I toasted the sixth.

I ended up gently hammering in a standard allen key into the bolt hole to try and re-hex it. I eventually got enough bite with the socket to get a couple of twists out, then grabbed the head with locking pliers for the rest of the way. Spares are on the way.

Scott
It's always the last one. :(

Greenie they are talking about the rotor bolts. Yup Japan red is equivalent to Loctite blue. I just put a couple of drops on the beginning of the threads. I run a tap in the bolt holes and wire brush the bolts to clean out the remnants of the thread lock. As stated heat is your friend. I take the rotors off for tire changes and never found a loose bolt.
I realize that. I have taken them off and reinstalled them countless times on the three C-10's I've owned since 1991. I have never found a bolt to be loose without using thread locker of any kind or color.