• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Three Pass Blast 2023

OK then, howdy all. As I be camped at the air strip campground on the 410 I will be right on top of this event, so I registered.

Not knowing y'all and y'all not knowing me I would like to inquire about the riding pace. I tend toward moderately brisk, I hope that will work out.

See on the 15th with a full tank of gas. (y)

Hi Steve!

Mikie's Rule #1 of riding: "Don't get dead." (But you can still have fun.)
The pace is generally determined by the weather conditions, the rider mix and prevailing traffic.
I'm not against the occasional, safe, passing of a slow vehicle - while not splitting up the group for too long.
If the stars align, we'll probably average a bit over the posted limits when moving.

The objective for any ride leader is to keep things safe, yet enjoyable, for the other participants.
We certainly have the option of breaking up into a couple groups.
My preference is for all riders to at least have one other partner - just in case.
I'll be sticking with the main group.
Perhaps see how the pace is for you until the first stop.
We have a few experienced folks registered, so a 'faster' and a 'slower' group is certainly an option.

Save us a table if you arrive at lunch before the main group shows up. :cool:

Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Hi Steve!

Mikie's Rule #1 of riding: "Don't get dead." (But you can still have fun.)
The pace is generally determined by the weather conditions, the rider mix and prevailing traffic.
I'm not against the occasional, safe, passing of a slow vehicle - while not splitting up the group for too long.
If the stars align, we'll probably average a bit over the posted limits when moving.

The objective for any ride leader is to keep things safe, yet enjoyable, for the other participants.
We certainly have the option of breaking up into a couple groups.
My preference is for all riders to at least have one other partner - just in case.
I'll be sticking with the main group.
Perhaps see how the pace is for you until the first stop.
We have a few experienced folks registered, so a 'faster' and a 'slower' group is certainly an option.

Save us a table if you arrive at lunch before the main group shows up. :cool:

Sound reasonable?
Appreciate the info. Passing slower than us cars/wreck all creation vehicles/big trucks/ cruisers is a good thing.

I know how much "fun" leading can be as I used to put on quite a few RTE's that also involved meeting at our house for a "spirited" ride to the venue along with an ad hoc ride after with me in front herding cats.

I do intend to ride in and meet at the Safeway, if that's OK.

This sounds like it will be a hoot.

I'm relocating tomorrow from the Liberty area and will be staying at either the airstrip or a few miles upstream on the 410. ioverlander shows a pretty cool looking spot right on the river there. Always an adventure.

See ya.

Steve it will be good to see you again.
Been several years since you were at my place for a chain replace on your DR 650 ???

Appreciate the info. Passing slower than us cars/wreck all creation vehicles/big trucks/ cruisers is a good thing.

I know how much "fun" leading can be as I used to put on quite a few RTE's that also involved meeting at our house for a "spirited" ride to the venue along with an ad hoc ride after with me in front herding cats.

I do intend to ride in and meet at the Safeway, if that's OK.

This sounds like it will be a hoot.

I'm relocating tomorrow from the Liberty area and will be staying at either the airstrip or a few miles upstream on the 410. ioverlander shows a pretty cool looking spot right on the river there. Always an adventure.

See ya.
Steve,

No worries.
It's a pretty scenic area and some sections are a a bit curvy.
One also has to watch for oncoming traffic and hikers wandering about.
Campers tend to cross the centerline through the curves.
My plan is to make about 3 brief stops before lunch.
Folks can refuel, re-hydrate, de-hydrate, adjust layering, stretch, photo op, etc.

That should get us to lunch between noon and 1:00.

Looking forward to seeing you Sat morning.

Steve it will be good to see you again.
Been several years since you were at my place for a chain replace on your DR 650 ???
I think 6 years??? BTW, the bike was and still is a Itty bitty six fiddy. That was a big help using your shop and the goofing off and garage tours did not suck either.

Steve,

No worries.
It's a pretty scenic area and some sections are a a bit curvy.
One also has to watch for oncoming traffic and hikers wandering about.
Campers tend to cross the centerline through the curves.
My plan is to make about 3 brief stops before lunch.
Folks can refuel, re-hydrate, de-hydrate, adjust layering, stretch, photo op, etc.

That should get us to lunch between noon and 1:00.

Looking forward to seeing you Sat morning.
Sounds absolutely delightful.

BTW, I wound up camped right on the White River between Silver Springs snow park and campground. Awesome site and ambience.

Nice! Yeah, you're camped most of the way up Chinook pass. If clear, the night sky must be spectacular.

Nice! Yeah, you're camped most of the way up Chinook pass. If clear, the night sky must be spectacular.
It's simply a marvelous spot. Only negative is trees to the north that will hinder the northern lights show allegedly coming up. Had 50 degrees this morning, much better than cooking my brains near Ontanogan.

It's simply a marvelous spot. Only negative is trees to the north that will hinder the northern lights show allegedly coming up. Had 50 degrees this morning, much better than cooking my brains near Ontanogan.
Yes, there are probably a lot of trees in that vicinity... :D🌲

Last edited:
Had a blast at the blast. Those burgers didn't suck too bad either.

Good meeting y'all and thanks for letting the foreigner ride along. Now, back to my sangria...

It was a bit toasty in the lower elevations. I cheated and had a wet vest.

As an aside, due to the leisurely pace of the ride the Versys got over 64 mpg on that tank. I've never come anywhere close to that before. 211 miles, 3.3 gals. I'm quite sure that I didn't get that kind of mileage today. ;)

Glad to have you along, Steve!
Yes, at our average pace that day, I too achieved >50 mpg on the C10.
Not too shabby for the old gal.
Although, she can get pretty thirsty moving at a more 'expeditious' rate of travel.