• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Threefer RTE -- Mickey Pigg's BBQ; Band of Brothers Museum; Camp Toccoa 11-9-19

ron203

Southeast Area Director
LATE BREAKING RTE!!!  (Sorry about that)

Meet at Mickey Pigg's BBQ in Alto/Baldwin, GA for stories, lies, and other motorcycling conversation@ 11:00 am  (11-9-19). Leave for Toccoa (if you wish) @ 1:30 pm. Arrive at Camp Toccoa @ 1:50 (or so). Arrive at the Currahee Museum about 2:45 pm.

Mickey Pigg's has a wonderful dessert selection, too!  When we leave there, you can scatter to the four winds, or we'll wind our way on backroads to the location of historic Camp Toccoa,near Currahee Mtn / Toccoa GA. Camp Toccoa is where the actual paratroopers from Ft. Benning, GA did conditioning and jump school in preparation for the D-Day invasion of France. It won't take long to see what's there and talk about the context of what we're seeing, so then we'll depart down the "mountain" for a short ride to downtown Toccoa, GA.

When the movie/series "Band of Brothers"  was released, new interest in Company D was born. The people of Toccoa, GA never forgot their soldiers who had come through their community, and when the found out the English stable where the unit was housed prior to the invasion was still standing, they bought it, disassembled it, and brought it to Toccoa to be re-assembled as the core of the Currahee Military Museum.

The building was re-assembled and period correct equipment and artifacts are on display. The tour takes about an hour and is a stirring tribute to the Band of Brothers and all of the troopers who trained in Toccoa.

Sorry for the short notice, but if you can, come and bring a friend. Just register on the Event calendar so we can warn Mickey Pigg's.

Ranger Jim said:
Lots of times but no date makes scheduling a bit complicated.😞

I think it is some sort of interweb test...

It does sound interesting,  :hum:

Goes to Google maps to check out the doability...

:beerchug: Skol.

Why Jim, it's right there in the title. Sheesh.....  :nananana:

(This is why the AD shouldn't be doing this stuff......) ;)

Ranger Jim said:
Takes 5 key strokes to put the date in the body of the text. How hard is that? 😳

3 strokes to copy and paste. (I'm lazy and have ADD)........squirrel!-----------------------------------------> :pokestick:

Weather is looking good. Food is good. Topic is interesting. Close to lots of folks....

1 signed up, 2 interested on FB posting, another 3-4 who've SAID  to me, that they're either interested or thinking about it....

Is this the right w/e? (yeah, short notice) but we could push it back a week. Thoughts? (...and you d and you can jump in or out of the event at any point. Not a lockstep ride.)

Sounds like a "Go!"  I'll be there, maybe with Katie (still negotiating that - she's watching the weather, I think.)
Thanks.

Weather looks like a cold front comming in here . 28
degrees in the morn . But im gonna tough it out . should be better on your side of the hill.

Better on Saturday.  Watch for slick spots.

(Added a guest to my registration.)

Nice turn out for a short notice RTE (10 attendees - 9 plus the picture taker). Food was good, fellowship was GREAT. We had six COGgers, three Associate members (wives), and a guest. Very interesting mix of bikes: One C-10, three-C-14s, one Vacquero,  one FJR, one Wing, one Ford sedan. Eclectic!

MGalleryItem.php

The museum visit was nice, too. Good piece of local history. Thanks all for coming on  cold day (about a 35 degree start). I got home about 4:30 pm.