• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Throttlemeister setting itself

jb_cb900

Street Cruiser
I have the Throttlemeister throttle lock and recently it has begun turning on it's own.  This is only occurring when I'm cruising down the highway with RPM's between 4K and 5K (peak vibration range).  It won't lock the throttle to the point I can't release it, but it's a little unnerving to see the knob twisting on it's own.  Otherwise, operation is very smooth with only a slight resistance while turning until it starts to engage.  Anyone else had this issue?

Mine tends to turn on it's own at times too. It also doesn't hold strongly when engaged. Not sure I got all the parts on my used fleabay unit.
I mostly use a caterpillar o-ring.

Hi,
        I bought a Throttlemiester  used and wasn't happy how it worked (or didn't!)

Sent it back to Throttlemiester and all good!

Nice people and they want you happy with their product! ;D ;

http://throttlemeister.com/

Attachments

• tumblr_onuceszwBX1tk46tjo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_onuceszwBX1tk46tjo1_500.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 155
Check the install instructions.  Mine is missing the sleeve that goes over the grip.  I have Murph's grips, and I'm guessing they didn't all play well together.  Mine doesn't hold well enough to work so It's currently disengaged.  I got a throttle rocker and haven't missed it yet.  Been thinking about cruise control...

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pull it apart and check to see if all the parts are there.  It came with the bike and has worked fine for 4 years. 

beaucephus said:
Check the install instructions.  Mine is missing the sleeve that goes over the grip.  I have Murph's grips, and I'm guessing they didn't all play well together.  Mine doesn't hold well enough to work so It's currently disengaged.  I got a throttle rocker and haven't missed it yet.  Been thinking about cruise control...

Bingo.  Same throttlemeister came with my C10, moved it to a 919 (needed different mounting hardware from them) then to my C14.  Plastic sleeve is key.  Once right, perfect function for each bike.  Somewhere in there, I think I went to Ace for some additional / different sized washers.  Only thing I can imagine happening over time is the plastic sleeve "setting in" further. 

I love them for a throttle lock. 

Problem fixed.  There are 2 o-rings which prevent the lubricant on the threaded insert from seeping out and apply the friction to keep the knob from rotating by itself.  The larger of the 2 o-rings had lost it's elasticity.  Replaced it and now the knob has slightly firm, smooth operation when twisted.

Update:  A call to Throttlemeister / Marker Machine got me the missing sleeve and some extra washers.  Hold is 100% now.  If you're having trouble, call them.  Real people answer.