• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thumbs down on Shinko 011 Verge

jprovda

I recently tried a Shinko 011 Verge rear tire on my 2005 Concours. I bought this tire as almost no decent rear tires were available at the end of August due to the Pandemic. I have had great luck with the Avon Spirit ST and its predecessors for my type of riding, which is mostly fast riding in the twisties. The Shinko got mostly good reviews online and it is a radial, so I thought I would give it a try.
Positives - decent price, fairly sticky, radial
Negatives
1) from the start when I ran fast over 85 mph, the tire caused the bike to wobble. This got a little better as the tire wore, but was still shaky throughout the life of the tire. I have never had a rear tire cause a wobble. The tire has a fairly soft side wall, which is unusual for a "sport touring" tire.
2) the tire has an unusual profile, which caused the rear to drop in the corners faster than the front. I was running an Avon Spirit St 110 upfront which wore out and I replaced it with a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 (still couldn't get the Avons at the time). It is a little unnerving to have the rear and front lean differently. I could still run curves fast, but was hesitant to really push it hard.
3) the tire wore out faster than any other sport touring tire I have used. It was showing belts at 3,600 miles (see the attached picture). This was unacceptable. I ran the tires at 40 psi and checked it every week.
Overall, this tire was the most disappointing tire I have used on the C10. I replaced it with the Avon Spirt St, which is a great combination with the Roadsmart 3 in the front. I have complete confidence in this combination, no wobble and great handling. I generally get about 6,000 miles out of a rear and around 8 or 9,000 out of the front.
shinko rear tire.jpg

That's incredible. I assume it has the correct load rating and that 40 psi. is giving
you the ride you want. 3600 is just not acceptable.

Thanks for the info, wow, thats some wear there, either bad tire or you are Eddie Lawson.:) I too run the Avon's and am looking for tires this year, looks like I might be using the Avon's again.

The Shinko Verge has the same speed and load rating 73W as the other high end (Road5 GT's, RS IV) but are definitely budget tires. Good to decent tires for more relaxed cruising, less demanding bikes with less power at the rear than our C14. Stick (pun intended) with the best tire you can buy for the C14, it deserves it and rubber is always cheaper than plaster...🦴

I would also say that if you were experiencing a wobble at 85+ there's a good chance you had a defect in the tire, maybe manufacturing or during install, that caused excessive heat wearing out the tire faster.

I have the Road 5 on the front and a Verge 001 on the rear. I like the combo. No wobble. Good stable cornering.