• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tim doing ok?

He survived the surgery, was let out of the hospital and headed home earlier this week. He's been quietly recovering since.

Yep, that is GREAT news about Tim.

Heal up quickly Tim.  Our prayers are with you for quick and complete healing.
-Brian

Yeah, I think I used up a couple of lives though. I was to start round two of the chemo stuff this coming Wednesday. But pain to the exhaust pipe (actually more tail bone)  when trying to sleep resulted in a CT scan with start of chemo depending on what that shows. Probably will loose hair off everything not just legs, toes and knuckles. The wife will be happy as I've got a bushy goatee  going right now.  Chemo will go for a month. 4 hour infusion with a constant drip pump at 2 week intervals. Once that is done then Humpty Dumpty gets put back together again. I am so ready for that BTW.

I think I'm the most covid tested guy in Okanogan county. Passed 5 of them now with more to come.  Talking the swab up the nose test not the temperature  test you get when entering a clinic. But UW is the place to get the big things done. Great staff.

I've been on a couple of real short ides n the 900 as I'm limited to lifting a whopping 10 pounds. The 900 is easier to take off the side stand. Speaking of pounds if I manage to loose 3 more I will have lost everything gained the last 25 years. Stuff fits now that hasn't fit in years. Not a bad thing. But I do feel a bit skinny after loosing dang near 50 pounds. I do run out of energy quickly so stuff gets done a little at a time. With the chemo it will be worse I understand. 

I'll be around a bit more cause I replaced the tower bought in 2011. It went south after a down load for windows 10. It had a corrupted file that would not let me run a repair disk.

Very much looking forward to climbing on he C14 to meet with COG friends and family. Stay safe, Tim

TimR said:
Yeah, I think I used up a couple of lives though. I was to start round two of the chemo stuff this coming Wednesday. But pain to the exhaust pipe (actually more tail bone)  when trying to sleep resulted in a CT scan with start of chemo depending on what that shows. Probably will loose hair off everything not just legs, toes and knuckles. The wife will be happy as I've got a bushy goatee  going right now.  Chemo will go for a month. 4 hour infusion with a constant drip pump at 2 week intervals. Once that is done then Humpty Dumpty gets put back together again. I am so ready for that BTW.

I think I'm the most covid tested guy in Okanogan county. Passed 5 of them now with more to come.  Talking the swab up the nose test not the temperature  test you get when entering a clinic. But UW is the place to get the big things done. Great staff.

I've been on a couple of real short ides n the 900 as I'm limited to lifting a whopping 10 pounds. The 900 is easier to take off the side stand. Speaking of pounds if I manage to loose 3 more I will have lost everything gained the last 25 years. Stuff fits now that hasn't fit in years. Not a bad thing. But I do feel a bit skinny after loosing dang near 50 pounds. I do run out of energy quickly so stuff gets done a little at a time. With the chemo it will be worse I understand. 

I'll be around a bit more cause I replaced the tower bought in 2011. It went south after a down load for windows 10. It had a corrupted file that would not let me run a repair disk.

Very much looking forward to climbing on he C14 to meet with COG friends and family. Stay safe, Tim

Good luck to ya Tim.

TimR said:

I noticed that you were in Hospital, but never realized what for.. Best of luck and positive vibes sent for full recovery. I can relate to what you are saying for sure, since back in april I was having issues of swollen lymph glands, and it took 3 months to get doctors on the ball, in August, went thru many rounds of tests, biopsy, blood, enhanced CAT scans, Ultra sounds, PET scans, poked and stuck like a pincushion in the last month. Have an expert staff of some of the best doctors in the USA right now, they are on the ball, and began aggressive care and diagnostics, right here in Cleveland University Hospital on my case; Just finished first series of Chemo yesterday, it was a 2 day event, because of the last infusion being a 4 hour ordeal.. on top of 4 hours the first day.. all in all, I feel fine, no side effects, and that's a good thing..the other good thing is it's only effecting lymphatic system so far, no migration.. so one series down, and 5 more to follow at 21 day intervals.. thoughts are with ya man, oh, I shaved my head.. so got that going for me already..  :great:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Much needed. I started round two on the Chemo. Later that next morning, morning I shut off the drip machine at 1230am. I just could not take it and glad I payed attention which button's did what. I ended up up the Omak ER for the rest of the day. After many test they decided I simply didn't react to the Chemo very well an d sent me later afternoon. Staff was nice, the bed was not.

So I stayed at home failing miserly in discomfort. I could not keep water down for the next day. Today I had an wound appointment in Wenatchee. I managed to ear\t a couple of small cheese burgers with water. Still mot 100% and nothing appeals for me to eat. Drink a little more water and feel a little better. This sucks cause I have things to do.

I will attempt to restart the chemo next week. With alternating shots of the Chemo. Some time off for good behavior I guess. I hope you all can have a nice long weekend. Stay safe, Put some bugs n the fins. Tim

Sorry to hear the chemo wasn't friendly to ya, everyone reacts differently to the various "cocktails"... My first round was pretty smooth, no issues for a week, and then "blammo" on the 7th thru 10th days.. total disgusting feeling.. but not anything out of whats considered as normal.. feeling better now tho. Mine is all done in a single day visit, 5 different infusions, and I'm watched closely for any immediate side effects.. speak with your Oncology staff, and keep on top of them to get it corrected, you probably really need that chemo, just not administered with a time pump at home.. and monitored closely by staff.. I consider myself lucky in that respect. I wish you the best, and hope you can overcome the hurdles with less pain and discomfort during the process..

Well here we are. Pretty much recovered from that bout with chemo. Next week I get a hear monitor again...Been there done that with not one single missed anything. After they get their readings we will ty a reduced strength chemo. If that puts me back in the ER I'm done with it.
One thing that is starting to bother me is something we are happy about when it happens. That is weight loss.

At the last Bun Cooler for instance, You knew me at a weight of around 235. Today I'm lucky to hold 180. (Must admit the 900 seems to accelerate much better)

Clothes that shrunk seem to fit now. But no energy. Thanks for all the support and I expect to get to join you all next year. Tim

stay positive man; just curious, at what point during your cycle do you feel the worst? and for how many days? I have a 21 day cycle and I felt fine for the first full week... then It slammed me, felt like poop, and couldn't eat. Only lasted 3 days tho, then back to feeling better. Next cycle starts Monday again, Then the hair keeps falling out.. even tho I cut it short to like 1/2" long.. messy... IIRC you are in Washington state, don't you folks have medical weed available? Just asking again, as "I'm told" it does work wonders when the right level of specific "non stoning" cannabinoids are taken into the body. Something to consider for the nausea and lack of eating desires.. also any pain. Do some research, and see what is being advanced on today it may surprise you.
Best of feelings, heal up. And drink lots of fluids.. I'm up to over a gallon a day. Flushes out all those dead cells and toxic waste.

Yes Richard....I just now fell sorta back to normal.. I get a heart monitor for a week then try a reduced juice. with time off between doses.

As for any thing to do with medical weed. I have friends who use the stuff and oils for pain relief. One had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he survived.

My hang up legal not, I was a 9 year DARE officer and I just can't find it in my bones to try it at my age. I might change my mind later but for now no pot parties. 🏴‍☠️

Yes Richard....I just now fell sorta back to normal.. I get a heart monitor for a week then try a reduced juice. with time off between doses.

As for any thing to do with medical weed. I have friends who use the stuff and oils for pain relief. One had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he survived.

My hang up legal not, I was a 9 year DARE officer and I just can't find it in my bones to try it at my age. I might change my mind later but for now no pot parties. 🏴‍☠️

Tim, if I'm reading the acronym correctly, it's Drug Abuse Resistance Education. Did you happen to take any prescription pain meds after surgery? Medical marijuana is just that- medical. You wouldn't be ingesting it with the goal of getting high, which means you wouldn't be abusing it. I bet one of your oncologists could steer you the right direction.

Our youngest daughter has a lot of medical issues. She's drinking sparkling water infused with nano-sized cannabidiol (CBD) molecules. It's the other major ingredient in cannabis (THC being the other). CBD doesn't make you high though. It just helps with the pain.

Chris

Positive thoughts coming your way Tim and Richard. Keep improving! I want to see you at the next Bun Cooler Tim!

Last edited:
Thanks, I need a good ride.

I don't want this to turn into a alternative pain relief thread. Yes Charlie I have some good drugs to help with pain when NEEDED. Using these have become rare. Somethings are just not for me. And BTW I don't drink a lot either. I like a cold beer when its hot but it's not the highlight of the day.

I have not condemned anyone for using what ever they feel comfortable with for pain relief. I would expect the same for what I use.

My friend Chuck who survived stage 4 pancreatic cancer, also suffered a brain injury in a auto accident. This was prior to me meeting him. Chuck has been a God send helping me deal with what I'm going through. Chuck has educated me on the alternatives now available. And like others it helped him. But the fact remains it is my choice. I am of German descent and like my mom, I can be very hard headed.

That all said, I think the bigger problem is the mountain on fire across the river south from me. I feel sorry for those loosing their homes and property. I doubt the fire will jump the Columbia river where I'm at because prevailing winds come from the west. The wind that pushed this fire came out of the north a few days ago. Since then the wind has been calm.

The fire victims are the ones that could use the thoughts and prayers.

There you go again, thinking of others! Glad you are feeling better, I saw a red C-14 go through town yesterday alongside a cruiser with apes...thought of you and wished you were out for a healing ride. Yea, many of my family up there was evacuated, and one of my wife's lifelong friends lost her ranch up on Dyer Hill. Al her animals survived but no hay or water yet. We are not out of this yet....

Tim,
Hang in there and keep fighting. It's not a pleasant experience. There are many different chemo agents that treat the many different cancers. Each one works differently. The results and side effect do vary between patients. Even though I'm in my second battle in 8-1/2 years, I will not tell you I know what you're going through. The odds are low that it will be the same. I know what it did to me the last time around, and it wasn't fun. It did work for a while, but I was told from day one that it would be back. They were correct about that, damn it.

If you do feel good enough, get out and ride. I found riding to be my best treatment for the mental battle that comes with cancer. One's own mental state can be your worst enemy some days. You won't be upbeat and positive every day. There will be many folks that will tell you you have a positive attitude, but very few of them have been on your journey. Some days will suck to the nth degree. You will be depressed. Recognize what's going on, but shake yourself out of the mental funk. That's where a good twist of the right wrist will beat back the demons in your mind. Feel the power of your motorcycle surge throw your body and help regain the focus needed to fight your enemy.

It breaks my heart to read about others, especially COG members, who are going through cancer. I'm sending healing thoughts your way. Remember, there are many others in worse shape than us. Every visit to the cancer center confirms that for me.

May we both beat this stuff back so we can do a ride together sometime in the future. There are to many good roads to ride to let this stuff get in the way.

Thanks for the advice. I do know the 900 runs a bit better after weight loss. Lately the weather and or smoke has kept me in doors.

I have not lost much hair, I am looking for an excuse to get a hair cut and my cancer beard trimmed.

Update: Made it home from Centrail Hospital yesterday. Feel pretty good today. Might have to take a bike out because it looks like its going to be fall starting tommarow.

Chemo put me back in the hospital with a long ambulance ride fronm Brewster to Wenatchee. Not recommended if one can help that. So ll the doctors I have been dealing with said I am now done with chemmo. It seems Chemo is beating me up pretty bad and any benifit is over shadowed by it messing with my heart health.

The next step will be go back to UW and get put back together. I look foreward to that. Having a bag is no fun.

Enven though I feel good, doing the IHOP would cause an domestic at my house so I will stay home. I have to regain some strength back along with some endurance. I see light at the end of this tunnel and have to thank everyone for the support. I'll be back in 2021.

Been an interesting last few days. On the 28th had a heart Dr's appointment and ended up in Wenathee Hospital. After test, they decided I need a by pass done. They were going to do this on Monday but Lab work said not yet. So in stead of making me wait at the hospital for labs to improve they sent me home. Can't do much more here at home than I would have been doing at the hospital. At least I can get the bikes ready for the winters rest.

I don't have a problem with this because it's just one more thing to get done before the goal of being put back together is reached. The heart is working well just needs more blood to pump.

I must admit I am tired of neddles, pokes and prods. Tired of being woke up at 530 in the morning for a blood draw. Both elbows are bruised. I was happy when they decided they could draw a majority of blood from my port. Thanks for all the support. Tim

Been an interesting last few days. On the 28th had a heart Dr's appointment and ended up in Wenathee Hospital. After test, they decided I need a by pass done. They were going to do this on Monday but Lab work said not yet. So in stead of making me wait at the hospital for labs to improve they sent me home. Can't do much more here at home than I would have been doing at the hospital. At least I can get the bikes ready for the winters rest.

I don't have a problem with this because it's just one more thing to get done before the goal of being put back together is reached. The heart is working well just needs more blood to pump.

I must admit I am tired of neddles, pokes and prods. Tired of being woke up at 530 in the morning for a blood draw. Both elbows are bruised. I was happy when they decided they could draw a majority of blood from my port. Thanks for all the support. Tim
Hang tough.

Tim - are you having actual bypass or a roto rooter with stents? One or more?

Thinking of you buddy.
Hope we can ride together next season.
Daughter Carrie is in week 5 of 6 weeks of radiation treatment on neck. I take her to appt 5 days a week. Nothing like you are going thru tho. Even so it is still cancer.

last of the nice days here so I took the C14 out for a ride. I had not felt like riding lately but figured I should get one more ride in. I found I was much weaker than I thought. But didn't fall off so it was good.

Last edited:
Good to hear that you enjoyed a ride before the cold weather locks everything down.
Your in our thoughts Buddy.. Keep us posted on the continuing progress.

Ride safe, Ted

Latest up date....By pass surgery on Dec 1st. Not really looking foreword to it but has to be done before I go to the next step and get hooked back so I can be normal again. Heart surgeon said I could go for second surgery to reverse the disconnect a month after the by pass if I feel up to it. He also said I should be able to take care of myself after 2 weeks have gone by after the by pass.

My oldest daughter sold her house and is moving to TX. She is a single mom with a special needs daughter. TX has a better school system for especial needs children than WA. (I'll get in trouble if I voice my political opinion) My wife might feel the need to go help as the daughter lives in Longview, WA. She might have to help her drive to TX. I have no problem with that and if the situation with me was different, I would be doing it.

Then one of the reasons I like the COG family......I got a card from the COG Secretary stating thoughts were with me from the BOD and membership. This group is really stay for the people. Too bad there are some who will never know the real COG. So I'll get through all the challenges and look foreword to warmer weather and back on the C14 or Z1. Meeting with COG friends and hitting the road. Tim

Hope they know who they are dealing with those doctors! Sounds like you are getting taken care of fixed up. My sister n law is a surgical nurse there in Wenatchee...maybe you will cross paths? Sure would be nice to have you up next season on either bike and we all Ride the Ribbon or Bun Cool or something. Praying for you man, thanks for updates.

Where is she moving to in TX? I have family in Austin.

Thanks Ben. I will be in ICU for a couple of days before they move me to the third floor where I'll be for a couple of more days before I get to sit at home to heal up. Doc said I should be driving in a couple of weeks. you might should warn your SIL I'm going to be the cranky guy who pushes his call button all day and night. Not really, I am normally nice to nurses because they can hurt you if you get too ornery. ;)

On top of that I will be ready to ride in 2021 and do all the things you mentioned.

Daughter is moving to Collage Place Station area she thinks.

Last edited:
College Station is a good area if you want to be in a college town that's conservative. Home of Texas A&M. We're all pulling for your rapid and complete recovery.

Well.. I got informed this morning everything is off until further notice due to Covid. While I appreciate the concern. I think It's petty cruel to tell a guy they are going to cut him open. start preparing with Doctors orders and taking care of last minute personnel details only to be told it's called off. I had another Doc appointment we cancelled which is hard to get into. Oh well it was just my foot doctor. Grrrr.

!@#&!@#$&#! SARS-CoV-2 !!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you can reschedule soon. We agree with others in prayer for your full recovery IJN.

!@#&!@#$&#! SARS-CoV-2 !!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you can reschedule soon. We agree with others in prayer for your full recovery IJN.
Thanks! I'm hoping something is done son but an EMT friend told me the ICU's are full of covid patents in the hospital I would be going to. I would rather stay away then.

Well got a phone call. Covid test #12 in the morning for Surgery on this coming Thursday. Scary!!!! But needs to get done so I can get rid of this stupid bag and poop like normal people when ever reversal happens.

The bag could be an advantage for some of the Iron Butt rides.

Chris
Probably not. Upper intestine lets food and liquids go through pretty fast. I have to empty the bag 5-6 times a day. Lower intestine draws liquid out and finishes processing the food. I have to be aware if liquid loss. If I don't BP goes way down and I get dizzy. If the unfinished food has too much water in it I have o take some medications to slow that down.

Good luck on Thursday! Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Keep Strong!
Thanks, but wouldn't you know called off once again. Probably won't happen till after Christmas now. They ran suddenly ran out of ICU beds. But that is OK. I'm going to get ready for a cowboy silhouette match with my new to me Win 1894 built in 1909 in 38 55 this weekend. I really lucked into this rifle. 26 inch octagon barrel with a bright and shiny bore. Gun smith said he didn't think it had been shoot much but carried. Weak blue on the receiver. :)

Tim,
Gave an update to Bob Rainey over the phone as he asked about you.
Thanks. One thing I like about this group is we do care for each other. BTW Bob sent me a card/letter which I thought was touching. Also got one from Nancy who is the National Treasurer which made my day too.

I will make it through all this. Got things to do. Might even have to get the old truck running.

Your not forgotten Buddy. Still in our thoughts.

Let us know how we can help out.
If all else fails,, a little comic relief is always available.

Ride safe, Ted

Found out today the tentative schedule for by pass surgery is Jan 20th. Not holding my breath. :confused:

Yup. #14. I'll test negative like the other 13 times and then will get called off again.

The interesting thing for me at the this time, is weight loss. I eat well but continue to lose weight. For many this would be a great thing. And for awhile it was for me too. But now I am approaching the rider weight the C14 Suspension was set up for at the factory.

I need to take a link out of my watch band because it slides around. I don't wear any rings because I will lose them when they fall off my finger.

It's just to bad for me the weather isn't a bit nicer. Too cold to do much riding but it sure would be nice if it were about 15 degrees warmer. When I broke in the 09 as long the roads were bare and dry, 35 degrees F was my minimum.

Tim,
praying for your continued healing. hope you can get out and ride soon. but i agree with you, if it's too cold there's both too much risk of ice and numb hands don't work controls very efficiently. Get well!
-tdbru

The interesting thing for me at the this time, is weight loss. I eat well but continue to lose weight. For many this would be a great thing. And for awhile it was for me too. But now I am approaching the rider weight the C14 Suspension was set up for at the factory.

I need to take a link out of my watch band because it slides around. I don't wear any rings because I will lose them when they fall off my finger.

It's just to bad for me the weather isn't a bit nicer. Too cold to do much riding but it sure would be nice if it were about 15 degrees warmer. When I broke in the 09 as long the roads were bare and dry, 35 degrees F was my minimum.
Is it the ostomy bag or change of diet that's caused nothing to fit anymore? Being skinny, you can really layer up with the clothing...

It's the bag. Water retention sucks too. Between the bag and taking a leak, I have to make sure I get enough to make up for the loss. Beer, coffee and tea doesn't count.

I'm supposedly now 4 days away from the heart part of the surgery. Still not holding my breath. Monday I get Covid test #14 plus lab work and a X ray.

Well....Covid test #14 was NEGITIVE. Also got a blood test, X-ray and EKG done today. Nurse from the Doc's office said she hoped it was a go this time. I get have a call on Tuesday to say it's on or off. Still not holding my breath.

Surgery is on. 0515 check in tomorrow morning. Once the Dr. tells my bride how it went she has to leave the hospital. No visitors while in ICU.

Get this done and heal up enough to get the next one. And then back to normal except a little less of a A hole because they cut some out. 🏍️

Good luck Tim! You won't need it though. Looking forward to your first post after surgery.

Good luck Tim! You won't need it though. Looking forward to your first post after surgery.
That could be awhile. Sitting in front of a P/C could hurt. Bad thing is once the Doc tells the bride how things went she will have to leave the hospital. Then as long as I am in ICU, no visitors including my bride. Even if for some reason I'm not making it. I know someone who is NOT happy with this rule.

I talked with Tim this evening, and things are going well for him. What was planned to be a triple bypass became a quintuple bypass. With any luck he'll be going home on Monday, and he sounded great over the phone.

Great to hear, given the enormity of the bypass I bet Tim you’ll be feeling like a kid again soon. Get ready to ride!!!

I'm home now. Every thing is good. The heart Doc investigated what the next step would be. Apparently the reconnect would be pretty simple. So I offered to stay an extra day. After I heal up some we'll get it going. It's good the have a Doctor take time and ask other Doctor's what's up with this.

Thanks!!!Today I went to get labs done in Omak. Labs that were back while I was there looked good.

The Best news is I am seeing a DR to consult the ostomy reversal on Monday in Wenatchee..

Get Healing Tim!!! Spring is on the cusp, and I am closer by than many so hit me up if you need somebody to ride your bikes for you, or other stuff.