• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Time for suspension work

lieu910

Moped
Well relocating to San Diego has revealed another major need for my C14, that being a suspension upgrade.

My 2017 seemed okay suspension wise in Illinois, but after a couple rides in the mountains, this bike has a tendency to be upset by mid corner bumps causing the rider rectal spasms. I took some pre-load out of the rear to see if that helped, but no improvement really. That's not going to cut it out here.

I searched and saw Kyle racing was a go to for Ohlins. Called them and there is nothing available for my 2017? Seemed a little odd, but okay.

So my other options as I understand from searching are Traxion / Penske? Anything else I should look at?       

that does seem odd, I have sourced an Ohlins rear for my 2013 and as far as I know there are no changes between our years.

I believe what happened is that Ohlins is no longer producing units for the C 14. When I was looking to upgrade my suspension, my Ohlins dealer told me there was one unit left in the United States for the C 14, and if I wanted it I better jump on it. I decided to go with the Penske and save the extra money.

I sent mine to Sasquach Suspension in Idaho. He installed Racetech gold valves in the front. For the rear he rebuilt the stock shock with Racetech valves, installed a new spring for my weight and riding style and a NTG bolt to make it serviceable. For me, the bike rides and corners incredibly compared to stock. It cost me 1k, however I consider that a deal. Many on this site use Traxion emulators in the front and a Penske shock for the rear and absolutely love it. I don't race or consider myself someone who rides their bike to the absolute limit and tried a different less expensive route and have no regrets. Good luck. There are lots of folks here that swear by Traxion for the front and Penske for the rear so you know you can't go wrong there.

Frank Kinsey once told me if you want to win do what the guys who are winning are doing until you too are winning. Then you can have an opinion until then just do what they do. In racing we don't do racetech. Call Kathy at Traxxion. Tell them I sent you +1 770-592-3823

I can vouch for the RaceTech. The compression and rebound valves transformed the front for me. They are a pain to install and the compression is not really adjustable but they are stellar street forks. Use the recommended spring.
The Race Tech rebuilt stock shock is also an impressive improvement, but less so than the fork. For half of a cheap aftermarket shock it is a really solid option. The rebuilt shock performs best when loaded and ridden exactly as I told RaceTech. In that zone it is dreamy.
In my experience with blowing money on suspension, what you tend to get for your extra few grand for the top shelf stuff is two-fold. You often get a wider range of adjustability for different conditions where the suspension will continue to work well. (The stock stuff by contrast has much to adjust, where every setting but one will be all wrong. ) You also tend to get components that work when not set up properly or precisely. The really good stuff goes out of the zone much more gradually as you make adjustments and will be much much more forgiving of setup. It continues to do its job when not set up well. If it is set up well, it can be adjusted to perform in a wide range of applications
Some cheaper approaches can work frighteningly well (Race Tech),  but over a narrower set of circumstances. If you can be clear about load and use at the install stages, the result can be up there with the best there is. You may have to know a thing or two about a thing or two to get the most out of it, but this is true with any suspension.

I agree with Frank Kinsey, however the difference between how I use my bike and racing motorcycles is so dramatically different it is laughable. There is no argument that other setups are better, however for my money and my pedestrian riding I am happy with my results....FWIW.

I’ve heard only good things about the Penske rear shock and I wouldn’t hesitate about installing one on mine if I already didn’t completely luck out and get a rear Ohlins from a member here a year and a half ago...I hope to send some ZX14 forks I pick up, to Traxxion, but I’m not sure right now. I did 2600 miles in 8 days back in early Sept and got a messed up contractured muscle (told this by a massage therapist) in my left neck/shoulder area that still has not fully worked its way out. I’d be hesitant to make anothero 2k run with my C14 unless something changes, unfortunately I’m not sure what that exactly is...
Anyhoot, someone once told me the Penske is 95% the performance of the Ohlins at 2/3 the cost.

Well this post has come up before my posting!

I have to sell a set of Traxxion Dynamics AK20 kit, and a Penske rear shock.

I would need your forks in trade, and the shock would be a Purchase,
$1500 TYD
I paid almost $2200 and they only have 3000 miles on them.
I will also pay for a re-spring set up for your weight!

Gixerhp said:
Well this post has come up before my posting!

I have to sell a set of Traxxion Dynamics AK20 kit, and a Penske rear shock.

I would need your forks in trade, and the shock would be a Purchase,
$1500 TYD
I paid almost $2200 and they only have 3000 miles on them.
I will also pay for a re-spring set up for your weight!
May all be sold with the bike as of now!
Sorry

TJ said:
Well relocating to San Diego has revealed another major need for my C14, that being a suspension upgrade.

My 2017 seemed okay suspension wise in Illinois, but after a couple rides in the mountains, this bike has a tendency to be upset by mid corner bumps causing the rider rectal spasms. I took some pre-load out of the rear to see if that helped, but no improvement really. That's not going to cut it out here.

I searched and saw Kyle racing was a go to for Ohlins. Called them and there is nothing available for my 2017? Seemed a little odd, but okay.

So my other options as I understand from searching are Traxion / Penske? Anything else I should look at?     

Is doing it yourself an option? Send the shock off to Traxxion for R&R, and perhaps a re-spring. Change the oil in the forks, and perhaps re-spring to match the Traxx works?

Some years ago I raced CCS and ran Penske on the RC51 and the GSXRs, my suspension guy was a Showa NA Tech.. Ed could re-build any shock/fork combo to Ohlins standards, but as he would say " Would your riding style know the difference?" Bolt-on $$$ doesn't transfer to everything. If the C-14 shock is re-buildable just have a decent Tech. do it at a fraction of the cost.

I know this has been covered in previous topics, but it seems that things may have changed since:

I'm on board with Traxxion Ak20's for the front forks -- no issues there.

But one thing I'd like to retain on the REAR SHOCK setup, that Penske seems to OMIT - is remote adjustability for the PRELOAD setting.

For you guys that opted for the Ohlins REAR shock -- was this a C14  Specific model, and is it still available?
Seems like ZX14 forks were and are the only option for the C14, but the C14 once had an Ohlins option for the rear shock??

Looking for some clarity before I go a searching.....

Thanks.

gr

When I was working on my suspension I was told by my Ohlins dealer that there was only one shock for the C14 left in the States so if I wanted it I’d better jump on it. I decided to go with the Penske instead. It sounded like it was being discontinued. I know that’s not a definitive answer. Can always call Ohlins directly and ask.

ghostrider990 said:
For you guys that opted for the Ohlins REAR shock -- was this a C14  Specific model, and is it still available?
Seems like ZX14 forks were and are the only option for the C14, but the C14 once had an Ohlins option for the rear shock??

Looking for some clarity before I go a searching.....

Thanks.

gr
Yes, Ohlins had two rear shocks. One for the 2008-09 C14 & one for the 2010+ C14. I have an Ohlins rear shock (p/n:KA-109) on my 2011 C14.

Attachments

• 20170518_162000.jpg
    20170518_162000.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 105
THanks Pope.

I like to match sets for forks and shocks - but I'd rather not have to buy a ZX14 set to fit to my C14.

Anybody have any comments on what all it takes to "adapt" zx14 forks to the C14??
Much modification? Loss in overall ride height??

okay --you're right, I should just call Ohlins....but I'd like to hear it from you guys first.  :)

gr

There's only two things that I know of that you'd need to do to ZX14 forks to use them on your C14.
1) Re-spring them.
2) Modify or Adapt the Front ABS Sensor to mount to the ZX14 Fork. Now this may be different for some years, but for a 2011 C14, it's something that you'd have to do for the ZX14 OEM & Ohlins Forks.

This has been discussed before:
http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/ohlins-fork-spring-for-gtr-1400/msg621266/#msg621266

http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/ohlins-fork-owners/msg552733/#msg552733
See my post #19 for a drawing of my ABS Mount.

See attached photo of my ABS Mount

Attachments

• 20171207_153137.jpg
    20171207_153137.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 98
Just as info:  I contacted Ohlins in NC.  They advised they have 1 KA-109 in stock, and no instructions from Sweden that it will be discontinued anytime soon.

Distributor/Vendor stock may vary.  I didn't check anywhere.
Since Kyle racing sponsored a group buy, that'd be a good place to start - and Traxxion is also authorized to sell Ohlins products.  (east coast/left coast)

For the record -I'm going with the traxxion front, penske rear setup.
The fact that traxxion custom orders the rear shock from Penske, and it's BUILT on demand to match the front spring rates and internals was a no-brainer.
Somehow, that info was lost on me in previous conversations with other Traxxion/Penske owners.

thanks to everyone for the info.

gr