• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Timing Chain, 2006 ZG 1000 non interference engine???

Hello Everyone . I recently purchased a 2006 ZG 1000 Concours. The timing chain broke and Im in the process of changing it. Can any one tell me if this bike has an interferencen or non interference engine? Im wondering if the valves etc were damaged.

Thank you
Bob

Probably most of the people who really know fer sure aren't on this forum anymore. I don't know for certain but you could:

Do a compression check, if all cylinders are at zero, that might be your answer. Without rotating the crank, look at the cams and valves, you should have at least one with the valves closed. That one should still have good compression, if it's a non-interference mill. If interference type, I'd suspect all the valves were trashed by the time it stopped turning, maybe.

If you have access to a borescope look into the cylinders for damage.

I would contact steve at shoodaben engineering. He is the guru for most everything c10 and c14 related. He would know.!

I would first look at the valve adjustment. A bent valve would have a overly wide gap.
If that looks ok, I would next do a compression check.
If the valves were bent, {and a valve not sealing} the compression will be seriously down on the cylinders that have bent valves.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
If you can get a borescope, look at the piston tops for shiny spots, dings, or damage.

If not, rotate the cams manually to get them closed on one cylinder at a time, then do a compression check on that cylinder.

Actually getting a bore scope is a great idea by those who mentioned it. They have gotten cheaper and smaller.

Friend of mine was given a CB750 with a dead cylinder. Used a bore scope and found the problem was a burnt valve.

I asked the question over on "the other forum" and one of the guys who is pretty knowledgeable said that AS FAR AS HE KNOWS it is an interference engine.

I've seen pictures of the pistons and the tops have good-sized relief spaces on top but that may just be for normal valve movement, may not be enough to clear valves that are out of time.