• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tip over bars.....just not worth it anymore?!

dboogie2288

So I have the original tip over bars. I have stripped them and recoated them with plastidip, however every year I find SOMETHING ELSE wrong with them. If its not a broken bolt, its a lost washer, and they just are never tight. I fear that if the concours ever did tip over, it wouldnt actually prevent anything, but more likely to punch a hole in the motor upon gravity overtaking it. Have you ever just taken them off and said enough is enough....or do you just power through it?

dboogie2288 said:
So I have the original tip over bars. I have stripped them and recoated them with plastidip, however every year I find SOMETHING ELSE wrong with them. If its not a broken bolt, its a lost washer, and they just are never tight. I fear that if the concours ever did tip over, it wouldnt actually prevent anything, but more likely to punch a hole in the motor upon gravity overtaking it. Have you ever just taken them off and said enough is enough....or do you just power through it?

if it's breaking bolts, use a better grade of bolt,and to prevent them from coming loose, use loc-tite...just my .02

If by original you mean the Skip Holton ones? Remembering the dust up on powder coat vs. cheap Walmart rattle can paint, maybe the plasti dip put a hex on them.  ;)

I had no issues except an occasional paint touch up in my Skip Holtons, front and rear,  for over 200k miles. And tipped it three times.

Turbo Max's dad is still riding that old c-10 around, btw. With almost a quarter million miles on it.  :great:

Mine came in handy yesterday and picked it up by myself
No damage to anything nothing bent or loose I look at it as cheaper than replacing plastic and yes it is aggravating getting the side fairings off
Check the engine bolts make sure they are torqued to spec
and as said above loctite is your friend

Hmmm...havent had any issues with mine . Not sure how protective they are though , I have them mainly to mount my pegs and Hella lights .

dboogie2288 said:

Bought some, tried them, didn't like them, so I took them off and sold them.  I also removed the lower plastic and belly pan.  Haven't looked back since.

ManWorkingHere said:
dboogie2288 said:
I fear that if the concours ever did tip over, it wouldnt actually prevent anything, but more likely to punch a hole in the motor upon gravity overtaking it.
Au Contraire, Monsieur !!!

Read my story of how my Murph's tip-over bars gave up their lives for my C-10's honor...

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/it-took-fedex-to-get-me-off-my-bike/msg494599/#msg494599

My point is that they get loose, and sloppy. When that happens, I fear that since they are not tightly attached to the motor mounts as they should be, it would pop a hole in the motor as they are effectively acting as a slide hammer.

Derick,
Mr. Klutz here...
I dropped my C10 a number of times, each time the bars did their job well. I would return home, use a black paint-marker, touch up where they hit the pavement, and smiled on my way.
Having said that, I do think that they are the final thing that took me down. I leaned, footpeg scraped hard and folded upwards a bit, and I think what made me slide was when the bar contacted the road. Of course, it was all my fault, and no telling what would have happened without the bars - maybe the same thing.
I will also say I have tip-over protection on my C14 (no drops, yet  :great:)

Jorge

I would never be without them, and here's why:

Attachments

• P1040101emailverysmall.JPG
    P1040101emailverysmall.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 211
  • P1040104emailsmall.JPG
    P1040104emailsmall.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 208
  • P1040100emailverysmall.JPG
    P1040100emailverysmall.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 186
Annual maintenance item...Check for loose, broke and missing bolts .  :great:  If you are breaking bolts chances are you need a little shim between the bar and the bike..

Murph

Derick said:
ManWorkingHere said:
dboogie2288 said:
I fear that if the concours ever did tip over, it wouldnt actually prevent anything, but more likely to punch a hole in the motor upon gravity overtaking it.
Au Contraire, Monsieur !!!

Read my story of how my Murph's tip-over bars gave up their lives for my C-10's honor...

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/it-took-fedex-to-get-me-off-my-bike/msg494599/#msg494599

My point is that they get loose, and sloppy. When that happens, I fear that since they are not tightly attached to the motor mounts as they should be, it would pop a hole in the motor as they are effectively acting as a slide hammer.

If they’re loose, then your motor mounts are loose, and somethings wrong.

Not sure why your motor mounts would be loose (which would be a bad thing since the engine is a part of the structure). After I got mine one of the first things I checked was the mount bolts (chasing down the elusive handlebar vibes). Checked/retorqued them, and added loctite to be sure. Thousands of miles and several years on and they’Re fine.

Connie was notorious for breaking the top starboard engine mounting bolt. My thought was the bolts were over stressed due to the fit between the motor and the frame.
Common to find the bolt broke or missing.  You will seem a shim for this bolt listed on part fitches..some bikes had them some didn't.

murph

Murph said:
Connie was notorious for breaking the top starboard engine mounting bolt. My thought was the bolts were over stressed due to the fit between the motor and the frame.
Common to find the bolt broke or missing.  You will seem a shim for this bolt listed on part fitches..some bikes had them some didn't.

murph

Murph wasn’t part of the problem misalignment (hence needing the shim) plus improper torque sequence? From what I recall reading on here, once you added the shim (as needed) and re-torqued the problem went away?

Well 3 of the 4 mounts and engine guard brackets are on there solid as a rock right now. I dont remember messing with this right upper one before, so maybe it just needs the loctite love and all will be back to normal again.

On my 19 state, 19 day ride last August I tipped my C10 over in loose dirt/sand twice, and hit a mule deer bambi on the left side. Bambi bent the bar back at a 45 degree angle. Once home, I took the brackets to a metal fab shop, where they were re-bent, and I reinstalled the bars. The center plastic was cracked, but not destroyed. They are also a good place for highway pegs to be mounted. Luckily, my left foot wasn't on the highway peg when Bambi committed suicide. The best product I have found to repair plastic is plastic bumper repair, a plastic epoxy that comes in a two-sided syringe and includes a reinforcing plastic mesh.

On the way home from the 24th RWTW rally, I was riding in heavy rain in Alabama. Turned a corner on city street and bike went down. Don't know if it was a bad oil slick, pothole under the puddle, or what. Bent brackets on front bar, a bit of cracked center plastic, but was able to pick up bike by myself and ride on. Definitely worth the money.