• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire report, Shinko 733 / 734 tour master

odie21

Moped
just finished my last set of tires...

Shinko SR733F & SR734R tour master tires, bias-ply...GW sized 130/70-18 & 160/80-16

went on at 37,195mi...replaced at 56,685mi...equals 19,490 miles

probably shoulda pulled them off a little sooner...as I pretty much had no tread left...I really ran them down to almost no tread left...

pretty much all touring miles...nothing twisty....but I did run pretty hard a lot...ie over the posted limits

have a CT on now that's been sitting in the shed for a couple years waiting for action...radial 175/75-16...English taxi/van???  was hard to find size in the States but fits and clears the trailer hitch too.  Pairing with a Shinko SE890 radial up front....we will see how it goes...

Good to know. I'll be looking for new tires come end of season...might be a good choice for me.

odie said:
just finished my last set of tires...

Shinko SR733F & SR734R tour master tires, bias-ply...GW sized 130/70-18 & 160/80-16

went on at 37,195mi...replaced at 56,685mi...equals 19,490 miles

probably shoulda pulled them off a little sooner...as I pretty much had no tread left...I really ran them down to almost no tread left...

pretty much all touring miles...nothing twisty....but I did run pretty hard a lot...ie over the posted limits

have a CT on now that's been sitting in the shed for a couple years waiting for action...radial 175/75-16...English taxi/van???  was hard to find size in the States but fits and clears the trailer hitch too.  Pairing with a Shinko SE890 radial up front....we will see how it goes...

I replaced my nice, soft side walled Avon radials with these Shinkos after I had two rear failures (de-laminations), one of which left me stranded in Scranton until a local friend came up and got me with his trailer. The Shinkos went on at different times, but so far they seem to be holding up well. I don’t do the stupid riding like I used to, so no issues with handling for the way I do ride now thus far.

One thing I don’t like about the tires is the harshness of ride they give……  which begs the question of those who have been using them for a bit: what air pressure are you running? I put them at what I was used to running with the Dunlop and Avon radials, i.e. 42 PSI front and rear. I was going to drop them down to 36 PSI before I went out today, but forgot. Figured just as easy to ask here, and we’ll go from there.

Thanks in advance.

I never got any response to my question, so knocked the pressure down to 36 like the Manual originally called for to try. Noticed a little bit of a difference, but I did not like the way the bike handled with the reduced pressure. Jacked it back up to 42 and we'll live with the harshness.